Upgrading Handlebar Switchgear

magicman

Question

• Member Contributer

Just thinking, but how much work would it be to swap the switchgear from a newer bike with the 4-way flashers onto my 02? I'm assuming I would need a new flasher relay or something, unless the switch just activates the left and right lines... I know my alarm flashes all 4, so I'm not sure...

Was it 05 that was offered, or 06 when they "updated" the bikes?

• Member Contributer

Well, if the 05 has the switch, and the 02-05 have the same front harness, then there shouldn't be TOO much involved, right?

• Member Contributer
I thought the hazards started in 03... may be wrong though.

Could be, my '04s had 'em

My '03 does not.

Well, if the 05 has the switch, and the 02-05 have the same front harness, then there shouldn't be TOO much involved, right?

The switch controls plug into the main harness, and does the front (headlight/dash) subharness, IIRC.

• Member Contributer

Hmmm... So if the 04 had them, is there any difference between the main harness from 02-04? It might just be a dual pole/single throw switch in parallel with the single pole/triple throw (middle being off) for the normal flashers. Theoretically, that's all you'd need right?

I looked quickly, but only saw one VTEC manual in the downloads. Can anyone find an 02 and 04-05 electrical diagram for me ( so I can check for any difference)?

• Member Contributer

Edit: Found one. It's actually a Triple pole/single throw that is in parallel with the normal switch.

http://members.chello.nl/a.boven2/schema-vfr800-a5-ABS.jpg

So, it looks like all you might need is the right-hand switchgear, and either some T-type wire taps, or a soldering iron. I wonder how much the switch gear goes for...

Might make a nice $50 safety upgrade.

EDIT: Just noticed there is a hazzard light option on the ignition aswell... Does this simply let you enable the 4 ways with the key not in? (IE: Set flashers while walking to service station for help, etc.)? The switch on the right hand side looks like it would only function like the normal blinkers, IE: key on. Correct?

Just thinking, but how much work would it be to swap the switchgear from a newer bike with the 4-way flashers onto my 02? I'm assuming I would need a new flasher relay or something, unless the switch just activates the left and right lines... I know my alarm flashes all 4, so I'm not sure...

I was wondering this myself. Whilst not the most electrically inclined, I happen to have a RHS handelbar switch assy off a wrecked model which happens to have the headlight switch (Off - Parkers - ON) which I'm sure I could rig up somehow to have OFF - ON - Hazards ON/Headlights OFF. I imagine for the hazards, I would have to wire into the 3rd position on the switch and run this off to the two indicator relays so that these will ground on selecting the associated switch position. I imagine the indicators would flash in unison and not one side then the other alternately... for the ON position (middle) I figure I'd just have to do the same for the Headlight relay to ground...

Am I right?

• Member Contributer

So, examining the schematic from the hazzard equiped bike, it appears that you could simply use a single pole/single throw toggle switch on between the R (Red) and R/W (Red/white dots) to simulate the hazzard position on the ignition module. However, the service manual (appears to be based on an 02)does not show R/W. Only Bl/O (Blue/orange dots), R/Bl, R, and P (pink). Hmmm...

Edit: Found one. It's actually a Triple pole/single throw that is in parallel with the normal switch.

http://members.chello.nl/a.boven2/schema-vfr800-a5-ABS.jpg

So, it looks like all you might need is the right-hand switchgear, and either some T-type wire taps, or a soldering iron. I wonder how much the switch gear goes for...

Might make a nice $50 safety upgrade.

EDIT: Just noticed there is a hazzard light option on the ignition aswell... Does this simply let you enable the 4 ways with the key not in? (IE: Set flashers while walking to service station for help, etc.)? The switch on the right hand side looks like it would only function like the normal blinkers, IE: key on. Correct?

Be careful, that is the Euro model, and has more differences....such as Flash to Pass

• Member Contributer

Yeah I noticed it was the euro when I spotted the "immobilizer". Then I looked at the bottom.

But looking at it, the hazard flasher switch on the handlebars worked just like I figured, and the ignition hazard switch does what I thought it would as well. The Flash to pass isn't really relevant, and without looking, I'm fairly comfortable assuming it is just another momentary switch in parallel with the normal switch. I'm not about to go hacking my bike without getting my hands on a proper 04+ North American wiring diagram though. Since the 06 and 07 manuals in the downloads don't seem to have them, if someone could help me find one, that would be great. :biggrin:

EDIT:Found one. http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/4755/vwyv4.jpg. Now for the studying.

• Member Contributer

Wow, these 3 schematics are surprisingly different. The US 05 has an extra "turn signal position" relay, and they basically accomplish the same thing a different way. But the US 05 has the same ignition as he Euro 05, but everything changes right afterward. On the 02 there is a diode that sits between the Red battery wire, and the random pink one that leads to the ECU, then out of the ECU and into the dash... It's just a mess.

However, looking at the Euro model, all the hazard switch basically does is send the batt power to the front/rear brake switches, signal/hazard switch, and the horn. The ON position just activates the same wires PLUS the ignition wire.

Looking closely, and working backwards, the 02 has more in common with the Euro. Chasing the turn signal relay backwards, it is the Bl/Br that is the important wire. Chasing this back to the fuse block is where you find the crucial difference. In the Euro, the Bl/Br comes from the R/W wire (changes colour at the fuse) that is connected to the R by the hazard switch on the ignition. On the 02 that Bl/Br wire comes from the Ignition wire (R/Bl) which basically switches on the whole bike.

So, if you were to ad the single pole/single throw switch connecting the R/Bl to the R wire (giving fused power to the Bl/Br). To prevent any back flow to any other circuit, you could use a Diode on the R/Bl between the "B" and "C" fuses.

wiringmod.jpg

This should replicate the 05 Euro hazard switch on the ignition. Then just ad the 04+ Right switchgear to get the hazard switch, wire it into parallel with the normal turn signal switch (could be done right at the relay) and you should be ready to rock. Look good or did I miss anything?

Resources:

05 US

05 Euro

02 service manual, pg 21-3 (200+MB pdf)

I was considering doing this too as I have changed out my key set and ended up with a new style (extra position) ignition switch on my 2002. Your idea looks good. I might have a hard time tracking down the euro hazard switch in the US though. Any idea what the part number is for the euro hazard switch?

Thanks, Will

Wow, these 3 schematics are surprisingly different. The US 05 has an extra "turn signal position" relay, and they basically accomplish the same thing a different way. But the US 05 has the same ignition as he Euro 05, but everything changes right afterward. On the 02 there is a diode that sits between the Red battery wire, and the random pink one that leads to the ECU, then out of the ECU and into the dash... It's just a mess.

However, looking at the Euro model, all the hazard switch basically does is send the batt power to the front/rear brake switches, signal/hazard switch, and the horn. The ON position just activates the same wires PLUS the ignition wire.

Looking closely, and working backwards, the 02 has more in common with the Euro. Chasing the turn signal relay backwards, it is the Bl/Br that is the important wire. Chasing this back to the fuse block is where you find the crucial difference. In the Euro, the Bl/Br comes from the R/W wire (changes colour at the fuse) that is connected to the R by the hazard switch on the ignition. On the 02 that Bl/Br wire comes from the Ignition wire (R/Bl) which basically switches on the whole bike.

So, if you were to ad the single pole/single throw switch connecting the R/Bl to the R wire (giving fused power to the Bl/Br). To prevent any back flow to any other circuit, you could use a Diode on the R/Bl between the "B" and "C" fuses.

wiringmod.jpg

This should replicate the 05 Euro hazard switch on the ignition. Then just ad the 04+ Right switchgear to get the hazard switch, wire it into parallel with the normal turn signal switch (could be done right at the relay) and you should be ready to rock. Look good or did I miss anything?

Resources:

05 US

05 Euro

02 service manual, pg 21-3 (200+MB pdf)

• Member Contributer
I was considering doing this too as I have changed out my key set and ended up with a new style (extra position) ignition switch on my 2002. Your idea looks good. I might have a hard time tracking down the euro hazard switch in the US though. Any idea what the part number is for the euro hazard switch?

Thanks, Will

I have no idea what the part number would be. You don't really need it anyway. I plan to just pick up the right handle bar gear from a part-out bike, and mount a waterproof toggle switch somewhere on the inner fairing.

It's actually pretty simple.

Now, if you already have the 05 style ignition, I'm not sure how they have it wired in, as I don't know the purpose of that pink wire from the stock 02 ignition... But the 05 ignition didn't have it. But since you have the ignition hazzard switch, theoretically you could just separate the B fuse from the C fuse, run the R/W wire down from your unused part of the ignition switch to the B fuse, and then you'll be able to power your lights/horn with the key out. Just ad the triple pole single throw switch for the hazards in parallel with the turn signals and you should be golden (fine, amber... :biggrin: ).

Keep in mind, this is all theory. If I am right, and I'm fairly sure I am, then great. If not, I suggest you do your own study of the wiring diagrams before attempting any mods. I claim no resposibility for anything I missed/messed up. I'll learn own my lesson in due course.

From what I see, I would need the euro right handlebar control with the hazard switch since it is triple pole single throw and US one is dbl pole dbl throw. I guess I could try to find an aftermarket triple pole single throw switch, but that wouldn't be as nice as the stock one. Anyone know if there is an online parts lookup outside the US?

Thanks, Will

I have no idea what the part number would be. You don't really need it anyway. I plan to just pick up the right handle bar gear from a part-out bike, and mount a waterproof toggle switch somewhere on the inner fairing.

It's actually pretty simple.

Now, if you already have the 05 style ignition, I'm not sure how they have it wired in, as I don't know the purpose of that pink wire from the stock 02 ignition... But the 05 ignition didn't have it. But since you have the ignition hazzard switch, theoretically you could just separate the B fuse from the C fuse, run the R/W wire down from your unused part of the ignition switch to the B fuse, and then you'll be able to power your lights/horn with the key out. Just ad the triple pole single throw switch for the hazards in parallel with the turn signals and you should be golden (fine, amber... :biggrin: ).

Keep in mind, this is all theory. If I am right, and I'm fairly sure I am, then great. If not, I suggest you do your own study of the wiring diagrams before attempting any mods. I claim no resposibility for anything I missed/messed up. I'll learn own my lesson in due course.

I have not read this entire thread , but if its of any help to you my 04

has 4 way flashers and they only work if the the key is in and turned on.

No key= no lights

• Member Contributer

I was wondering this myself. Whilst not the most electrically inclined, I happen to have a RHS handelbar switch assy off a wrecked model which happens to have the headlight switch (Off - Parkers - ON) which I'm sure I could rig up somehow to have OFF - ON - Hazards ON/Headlights OFF. I imagine for the hazards, I would have to wire into the 3rd position on the switch and run this off to the two indicator relays so that these will ground on selecting the associated switch position. I imagine the indicators would flash in unison and not one side then the other alternately... for the ON position (middle) I figure I'd just have to do the same for the Headlight relay to ground...

Am I right?

Sorry I missed your question, you must have posted as I was typing my own post...

I'm not too familiar with that switch that you mention. We have always on type headlights here, but theoreticaly, it shouldn't be too hard. Thing is you might need another relay.

I'll try to explain, but don't have access to something I could draw it with here at work...

If you set the 3rd pole of your switch for hazards, you would actually need to have it control 3 separate lines to trip the turn signal relay (there is only one flasher relay on the 05 Euro schematic). You'd basically have a switch that would send a signal to activate an extra relay you would put in place of the TPST switch they would normally have on the controls.

IF your bike has the two flasher relays as you mention (like the 05 US), it would be more complicated. I'd have to look it over to figure out how that would work...

• Member Contributer
I have not read this entire thread , but if its of any help to you my 04

has 4 way flashers and they only work if the the key is in and turned on.

No key= no lights

So you have the hazard button on the controls but no hazard position on the ignition? They might have added that in 05 after realizing you'd have to leave the key in to have the hazards on... One step at a time I guess.

My toggle switch would override the ignition, but only for the lights/horn circuit. I'm going to check to see if that would actually put them on as marker lights, or only when you hit a switch.

I just did a double check..my 04 has a hazard position but the key must be in for the flashers to work. Its not the the fork lock where you can remove the key. In the hazard position you can't remove the key.

• Member Contributer
I just did a double check..my 04 has a hazard position but the key must be in for the flashers to work. Its not the the fork lock where you can remove the key. In the hazard position you can't remove the key.

Hmmm... That's not logical, but it is a Honda...

Am I right?

Sorry I missed your question, you must have posted as I was typing my own post...

I'm not too familiar with that switch that you mention. We have always on type headlights here, but theoreticaly, it shouldn't be too hard. Thing is you might need another relay.

I'll try to explain, but don't have access to something I could draw it with here at work...

If you set the 3rd pole of your switch for hazards, you would actually need to have it control 3 separate lines to trip the turn signal relay (there is only one flasher relay on the 05 Euro schematic). You'd basically have a switch that would send a signal to activate an extra relay you would put in place of the TPST switch they would normally have on the controls.

IF your bike has the two flasher relays as you mention (like the 05 US), it would be more complicated. I'd have to look it over to figure out how that would work...

I would appreciate that very much!!

• Member Contributer
I would appreciate that very much!!

The other question is, is a euro 03 the same as a north american 02? :huh:

• Member Contributer

I put hazards on my '99. Easy as pie. I bought a 5 dollar automotive flasher from autozone. I ran a wire from the battery to the flasher. I ran another pair of wires with an inline diode to the front signals. Solder the open end (current towards) to the blinker wire. You must use the diode as you have now connected the left side signals to the right side and will function as hazards by moving the stock signal button in either position. The rear signals are run off the fronts from the factory so no need for anything else. Then put the flasher unit (about the size of a C battery but shorter) in a balloon and zip tie the part you would stick in your mouth around the wires. I got a nice, small, red, push button (pop in/pop out) switch and installed it on the right black plastic panel that goes around the forks. Looks factory. Works with the ignition key in my pocket. It even displays the double indicator flash on the dash AND has that cool clickity hazard sound!

Installing it on the right inner panel was a mistake because generally when you want to use the hazards you need to use the front brake or throttle. I will switch it to the other side (where my heated grip switch is) this season. However, you have made me very curious, I never noticed that switch on the right side of the newer Vtec's until now. May have to grab me a rhs switch housing and craft it up. (Gen 5.6 for anyone paying attention wink.gif )

Archived