Gps Route Plotting !

Monk

I just got my first Gps (TomTom Rider 2nd Edition),and I'm wondering what you folks are doing to make your Gps give you back-roads plotting. So far,I've programed it to go from point "A" to "B" (town to town)and to choice back roads by using the hi-way-avoiding key,and found out that that isn't enough to find S's........So then I purposely went off the gps's given course to direct it in the direction I wanted to take.....that's when "Hal" tryed to re-direct back to the route he wanted me to take (which of course was straight and boring;If I wanted to do that I wouldn't need Hal in the first place),so I told him that,I want to go this way,which he then complyed (after I had to stop moving to convence him;by pushing his "Route ALT" botton).

So the next thing I'm going to try is to plot "A" to "B" and use the "Shortest route"key....Along with the help of the "Via Route" key (punch in a few towns in between,that are on roads that I want to use, S's ).

So what I'm wondering from my fellow riders,that use their Gps's for that purpose is,How do you control "Hal" ? .....Monk

• Member Contributer
I just got my first Gps (TomTom Rider 2nd Edition),and I'm wondering what you folks are doing to make your Gps give you back-roads plotting. So far,I've programed it to go from point "A" to "B" (town to town)and to choice back roads by using the hi-way-avoiding key,and found out that that isn't enough to find S's........So then I purposely went off the gps's given course to direct it in the direction I wanted to take.....that's when "Hal" tryed to re-direct back to the route he wanted me to take (which of course was straight and boring;If I wanted to do that I wouldn't need Hal in the first place),so I told him that,I want to go this way,which he then complyed (after I had to stop moving to convence him;by pushing his "Route ALT" botton).

So the next thing I'm going to try is to plot "A" to "B" and use the "Shortest route"key....Along with the help of the "Via Route" key (punch in a few towns in between,that are on roads that I want to use, S's ).

So what I'm wondering from my fellow riders,that use their Gps's for that purpose is,How do you control "Hal" ? .....Monk

I run an old Garmin GPS-V and plot everything out on the PC... then when I turn the GPS on and start navigation, the thing asks me if I'd like to recalculate my route. I just say, no thanks and all is right with the world.

I run an old Garmin GPS-V and plot everything out on the PC... then when I turn the GPS on and start navigation, the thing asks me if I'd like to recalculate my route. I just say, no thanks and all is right with the world.

OK....How do you plot it on your PC ?.........Do you put in all the routes you want to take,or do you just put in some towns along the routes you want to take?......Monk

• Member Contributer

One of the nice things re: the older units like the GPS-V. It's all PC/software based - I can do plotting on the unit but it's a pain. Most everything has to be done on a PC and pushed to the GPS. Yep, I pick spots long the route and adjust it by dragging the route when it doesn't suit me.

It's a dinosaur, small, mono-monitor. But it's waterproof and shock resistant.

garmin_gpsV-horizontal_big.jpg

One of the nice things re: the older units like the GPS-V. It's all PC/software based - I can do plotting on the unit but it's a pain. Most everything has to be done on a PC and pushed to the GPS. Yep, I pick spots long the route and adjust it by dragging the route when it doesn't suit me.

It's a dinosaur, small, mono-monitor. But it's waterproof and shock resistant.

garmin_gpsV-horizontal_big.jpg

So basically the easiest way is to use the towns along the way method so far......Anyone else have any thing to add?....Monk

So basically the easiest way is to use the towns along the way method so far......Anyone else have any thing to add?....Monk

Well, with Garmin Mapsource (Windows & Mac software that comes with the Garmin GPSs - not compatible with TomTom), you can simply click points (towns, intersections, etc) you want on your route, and it'll calculate the route and show it to you in real-time. That way, if it picks a road you don't like (a highway, for example), you can simply add a via point on the route you DO want to take and you'll see it change the route immediately. When you're done, you plug in your GPS and download the route. Very handy - if, in the middle of the day, you decide you want to leave the pre-programmed route and go a different way, the GPS will route you back to the route when you're done exploring.

The intrinsic knowledge people have of the Garmins is the #1 reason to pick it over the TomTom. The Zumo is definitely the most popular motorcycle GPS sold - there are forums dedicated to the device. I've got a Garmin Zumo 550 and love it.

:biggrin: for Tyre, I used it for my TomTom One and could use Google to set my route. Be sure to make them "Waypoints" not "Destinations" or else it tries to force you to go over the exact spot. You have to tell it to skip a waypoint, or it does try to redirect you somewhat....but it works for me.

Zagabul,and Tightwad.........Thx for the info on "TYRE" (Put that puppy in my Favorites).I like google earth & maps. Nice to be able to blend with TOMTOM..........Monk

Well, with Garmin Mapsource (Windows & Mac software that comes with the Garmin GPSs - not compatible with TomTom), you can simply click points (towns, intersections, etc) you want on your route, and it'll calculate the route and show it to you in real-time. That way, if it picks a road you don't like (a highway, for example), you can simply add a via point on the route you DO want to take and you'll see it change the route immediately. When you're done, you plug in your GPS and download the route. Very handy - if, in the middle of the day, you decide you want to leave the pre-programmed route and go a different way, the GPS will route you back to the route when you're done exploring.

The intrinsic knowledge people have of the Garmins is the #1 reason to pick it over the TomTom. The Zumo is definitely the most popular motorcycle GPS sold - there are forums dedicated to the device. I've got a Garmin Zumo 550 and love it.

Thx for the write-up on the Garmin,sounds like a very nice unit.

Actually! The TomTom "Home" does the same thing. I was just kind of wondering what riders were doing,using their Gps's on the fly,as apposed to pre-planning on the PC........But thx for your input.......Monk

For route planning with a TomTom I've heard of people using ITNconv with great succes. Maybe worth to give it a try too.

I have a Garmin and I mostly use mapsource to plan my routes looking at the maps to find the twistiest roads and avoiding having to ride through populated places.

• Member Contributer

I don't know what type of GPS you have but you may have to put in several destinations or stops on you route to keep it from recalculating. So instead of going from point A to B, you might have to go from A to B to C to D etc to keep your route tracking correctly. Unless you have the type of system that has the computer software. Hope that helps, good luck.

:rolleyes: for Tyre, I used it for my TomTom One and could use Google to set my route. Be sure to make them "Waypoints" not "Destinations" or else it tries to force you to go over the exact spot. You have to tell it to skip a waypoint, or it does try to redirect you somewhat....but it works for me.

The problem I'm having is trying to find what I've installed on my TT unit,from the TYRE/Goog map.

I plotted a route from my house to Franklin.Nc. (TexMac)......Copied it to file on PC ........then copied to TT unit....But I can't find it on the unit........And I can't find anything in the TT handbook on how to find.....

If you might give me some pointers,I'd appreciate it.......Or I'll just have to wait till I get to TexMac.....for a show me lesson....Monk

Well ......At this point, I decided to copy the "Tyre Help" pages to actual paper so I might be able to look at the steps as I need them. I haven't tried it yet,since I've been messing with this thing most of the day.........And I could have been riding,which brings in "Catch 22",why I got the Gps in the first place..........

There's something in here that says I need to set up the Tyre and Google Map to run at the same time,when plotting,and something else about setting something that only has to be set once........DUUAAA...........Monk

OK...Everyone,with their fingers hovering over their keyboards,wanting to jump in here and help me with all of that PC Geek stuff............You're going to have to find someone else to help,because I have figured it out on my own.......What a nice feeling of accomplishment...........Monk

• Member Contributer

Monk,

I'll be looking to you for help. Just downloaded Tyre and have a TomTom 930 that I just purchased.

Know nothing about either at this moment, but from reading your thread, you know it all now.

Once I actually pull the cover off the bike and start it up, mount the TT and get ready to travel, I'll be a pro thanks to you and your efforts!

Any wisdom you wish to pass on is appreciated. Why learn yourself when you can learn from others.

cheers,

didit

Monk,

I have no idea...but I would like to request some pics of your unit installed plz! I just ordered the TT Rider 2 off Amazon for $350! How do u like it so far???

Almost TMAC time :cool:

Monk,

I'll be looking to you for help. Just downloaded Tyre and have a TomTom 930 that I just purchased.

Know nothing about either at this moment, but from reading your thread, you know it all now.

Once I actually pull the cover off the bike and start it up, mount the TT and get ready to travel, I'll be a pro thanks to you and your efforts!

Any wisdom you wish to pass on is appreciated. Why learn yourself when you can learn from others.

cheers,

didit

As it is said in the previous,threads in this post. On the fly "control of route" is accomplished by using the "Via" icon, and putting in towns or intersections to force the route you want.

The main thing with the TomTom,after you install "Tyre" and bring it up go to the help tab and run copies (print) of "Create Route";"Display Route";"Use in TOMTOM".

Basically these will guide you through. Some details are to have the "Google",and the "Tyre" running at the same time,and watch which side of the road you place a marker on (if it's a divided hi-way,and keep the marker in the road). Don't put them in intersections. And there is a one time step on the TOMTOM after route is loaded,which is in those print-outs.........I'll try to learn somemore as I go......It's really got more going for it than I exspected.........I can Zoom in/out of 'route pic', I find I like it about two to three turns showing so I can set up,not only for the turn in front but for the combo.It's like riding a road you've been on a million times,only this is the first time ( I just need to remember that it doesn't show holes in the road,etc.)......Monk

Monk,

I have no idea...but I would like to request some pics of your unit installed plz! I just ordered the TT Rider 2 off Amazon for $350! How do u like it so far???

I have it mech. installed.....But not wired yet.....I'm going to change my mount anyway ( I ordered a ball that mounts to the front tank screws) Here's the link,just DON'T use the "U" bolt http://www.gpscity.com/item-ram-mount-stai...amb231steel.htm

Also I'm getting my power cord modified by our Forum "Electronic Guru". Goes by the handle of "Tightwad". The mode is as follows..........Shorten the TT power cord to a foot retaining the TTplug on one end and adding a 90º "Powerlet"male plug to the other end......Then install a completed rigged powercord (By Tightwad),which concist of a female "powerlet"plug that will be inserted in the top of the steering stem post....and the power cord will be routed though the steering stem post;then routed to the bikes power system with a fused connection,all done by "tightwad". All I have to do is install on VFR......

Here's pic's of what's been done so far....Will update pic's with the new,and improved install....when complete.

This is working well for now ......

gallery_16535_4484_585541.jpg

DSC00050.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_29322.jpg

DSC00052.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_233001.jpg

DSC00049.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_2477757.jpg

DSC00032.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_2213212.jpg

DSC00041.JPG

Monk,

Mine cost about the same....I like it a lot..... it's easy to use....I've never had one before....and one of the best things I like is the zoom ± ....I set mine so I can see about 2 to 3 close turns at the same time.....makes it easy to set up riding line for combo turns ( Of course it doesn't show holes in the roads,etc. ). .....Monk

Nice pics Monk and TY! I have much to learn about route planning and such....keep up the thread!

Jon....You can click on the pictures (at the top of each shot.Where it says click). Then after you get the new shot you can Zoom in on what you want,with the (+) that appears.....Monk

New pic's of the TOMTOM Rider 2nd Edition....With the completed mods.....Powerlet (by:Tightwad)......Ram mount ( forward tank bolts )...........Monk

gallery_16535_4484_2454868.jpg

DSC00059.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_1443533.jpg

DSC00060.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_1737350.jpg

DSC00064.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_2019240.jpg

DSC00065.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_1247822.jpg

DSC00066.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_2347420.jpg

DSC00062.JPG

Is there an option to keep TTR2 from routing over dirt roads,when using the shortest route mode?

As much as it's fun to ride dirt,I'd rather not have to clean all the dirt off the bike(re:chain)......Monk

Archived