Blutek Helmet Quality Issues

Guest bortz

I recently bought a Blutek Helmet and am not too sure about the quality.

I have a gap about an eigth of an inch between the visor gasket and the visor itself. It is the same for both my clear and tinted visors. When riding either locally or on the highway, I get a really loud wind noise and WHISTLING!! The whistling is driving me freaking nuts!!

I e-mailed the company and asked what they would do about this. After an initial "I got your message" e-mail, I had to e-mail the guy after 2 weeks in order to get a response. He said he "had the report around here somewhere. I'll get it to you this afternoon." After I e-mailed him the next day asking for a response (not that afternoon, what a suprise!!), here is what he sent:

"Per the report there is 3mm of tolerance between the visor and the helmet as far as space, it aids in the anti-fogging feature. However, none of our tested helmets have a whistling noise. Can you provide a picture of the gap so I can see if we can get you a warranty replacement?

Reza"

Does this make sense?!?!? Am I crazy!?!? I thought gaskets were for sealing!! Isn't this why anti-fogging coatings came out?? I'm kinda pissed because the answer I get after 2 weeks of poking and prodding is that it is normal for this $310 helmet to have shitty quality.

Sorry for the long post. What do you guys think?

• Member Contributer

IMO you should have spent that $300 on a Shoei,HJC,or Scorpion. Sorry but i dont know anything about blutek.

Can you feel the air coming through the gap in the visor?

When I read reviews, I heard they were very high quality (obivously not quite shoei or arai). I didn't pay $310, but that's what they retail for. I got it on closeout on ebay for $200 shipped.

Just looked up those helmets, and they come with the bluetooth already installed. I dont want to diss your helmet but it sounds like they put a 175 - 200 dollar bluetooth in a 100-125 dollar helmet. I would try to see if I could return it for a refund. Sorry just remembered it was clearance on the "bay" , good luck with the replacement and I hope you get a good one this time.

Just looked up those helmets, and they come with the bluetooth already installed. I dont want to diss your helmet but it sounds like they put a 175 - 200 dollar bluetooth in a 100-125 dollar helmet. I would try to see if I could return it for a refund. Sorry just remembered it was clearance on the "bay" , good luck with the replacement and I hope you get a good one this time.

I agree. Don't worry about "dissing my helmet" I value your opinions. If you read the review on webbikeworld, they seemed really nice, but, that's just a review.

My main question is should a visor gasket seal or is it acceptable to have a gap. I never thought there should be a gap in any helmet. It just doesn't make sense to me.

"Per the report there is 3mm of tolerance between the visor and the helmet as far as space, it aids in the anti-fogging feature.

Ask them what the mnimal gap of this anti fogging feature is supposed to be :biggrin:

Maybe the visor mechanism is not mounted correctly and yo can correct it yourself or go for a replacement. In my opinion there shouldn't be a gap, especially on a helmet that has bluetooth and as such needs to be as quiet as possible.

• Member Contributer

I have a Shoei RF1000,Scorpion exo700,and a bieffe snowmobile helmet and they all seal up on the visor.

When u noticed the whistling did you have all your vents closed?

Does the visor open and shut smoothly?

• Member Contributer

Aside from the visor/seal/wind noise issue, does it fit well and does the Bluetooth work as they advertise?

If the shield fit tighter and fully sealed, what report would you give on the helmet otherwise?

"Per the report there is 3mm of tolerance between the visor and the helmet as far as space, it aids in the anti-fogging feature.

Ask them what the mnimal gap of this anti fogging feature is supposed to be :biggrin:

Maybe the visor mechanism is not mounted correctly and yo can correct it yourself or go for a replacement. In my opinion there shouldn't be a gap, especially on a helmet that has bluetooth and as such needs to be as quiet as possible.

I would have to agree, there should be no gap because this is supposed to be a water seal. The chin vent on most helmets I have had experience with are used for helping to clear any fogging on a helmet's shield without an anti-fog coating. But I have also noticed on some less expensive helmets tolerances are not as closely adhered to which could result in gaps like the one on your shield. I do hope they fix this for you. Good luck.

• Member Contributer

Thats too bad that happened to you. Hopefully the company will make it right by replacing it or fix it. I don't know if the Better Buisness Bureau is an option or not but if they are not cooperative with you, maybe you should take it that route. Good luck.

• Member Contributer

That 3mm clearance sounds like an excuse to me.

Can you adjust the side plates so that the visor fits flush to the gasket? Usually, there is a screw or two holding the side plates in position. Most manufacturers build some range of adjustment into the side plates. Loosen the screws, push the sideplates back towards the rear of the helmet and tighten the screws.

• Member Contributer

I've witnessed several crashes over the years where the rider was wearing a high-quality / costly helmet, and in each case, the face shield flew off and the mechanism broke.

Personally, I judge the safety of a helmet upon whether or not it fits your head properly, is DOT/SNELL approved, and has a quality retention system.

The loose tolerances of your shield may cause a lot of noise, but as I stated earlier: the face shield is coming off in a crash no matter how much you spend.

Wow, thanks for all the responses guys!

I've been in contact with blutek, it usually takes a few e-mails to get their attention, but at least they're always polite. They have agreed to give me a refund (still waiting on that, I'll keep you posted) and will let me know if in fact the helmet was out of tolerance. I'll let you know about that too.

The crappy thing was that I really liked the rest of the helmet and it fit me really well. Oh well, whistling is a dealbreaker in my book.

I checked the screen retention clips and they have no tolerance for adjustability :blink: . I was really excited for a second. I'm sure it is the screen whistling because I've played with the vents and they have no effect on the whistling..

Are these not the helmets that Walmart is selling now? Pretty sure I saw them in the local Walmart here for something like $150(CAN). I was considering one (for the bluetooth), but the fit for me was crap.

Are these not the helmets that Walmart is selling now? Pretty sure I saw them in the local Walmart here for something like $150(CAN). I was considering one (for the bluetooth), but the fit for me was crap.

Don't know, they aren't at least in the states, possibly in Canada though. Are they Blutek brand?

• Member Contributer

Personally, with anything that has to do with a motorcycle it has to be a time proven product for me to buy it!

Archived