Light Smoked Or Dark Smoked That Is The Question

NorthernVFRDave

Question

• Member Contributer

Ok so I'm working a crap load of OT at work right now, so that means its time for something new to me :biggrin:

Anyways thinking of adding a Zero Gravity DB windscreen but not sure if I want the light smoked or dark smoked.

My VFR is an 07 in dark candy red

Suggestions??? Pictures too if you have them. I think I'm leaning towards the dark one, as you dont need to see out a VFR windscreen anyways right?

The stock windscreen has a bit of tint to it already.

If you are looking for much darker than that I'd go with the dark smoke, but only if you don't ever look through it at all. I've had dark smoke on 2 previous bikes, and it is very dark, almost opaque. Keep in mind the double bubble will be slightly taller than stock as well.

I have the ZG in dark smoke and there have been times when I have been really tucked in that I have wished it wasn't so dark(you can't see thru it really at all), but I also think that it being on the bike looks way better than stock (my avatar pic shows it). I am tall like Doug, 6'5", and rarely am in a position to use it, but just my thoughts.

• Member Contributer
gallery_9871_2814_65980.jpg

drumride08 022.jpg

This is a Dark Smoke ZG and with the red it just fits the bike right I think.

Your avatar, just hosed you. Ready for another paint job? Got the dank, idea.

Sorry to hijack,....

DARK, all the way!!!

• Member Contributer
drumride08 022.jpg

Dark, dark, DARK!!!! Snakeman, that is one nice looking pic there. Alberta badlands? No hoodoo? Boohoo!! :laugh:

I'll see you in Kaslo in July--and I'll buy you a beer if you're nice... :laugh:

PPM

drumride08 022.jpg

Your avatar, just hosed you. Ready for another paint job? Got the dank, idea.

Sorry to hijack,....

DARK, all the way!!!

It's late I'm tired... WHAT! I don't get it.

drumride08 022.jpg

Dark, dark, DARK!!!! Snakeman, that is one nice looking pic there. Alberta badlands? No hoodoo? Boohoo!! :laugh:

I'll see you in Kaslo in July--and I'll buy you a beer if you're nice... :laugh:

PPM

Thanks, yup Badlands.

I will be there unless a film production comes up. I'm always nice.... ok most of the time. However I will pass on the beer and make it a pepsi. I haven't drank since I was 19-20, it does bad things to me, very,very bad things.

Dark smoke IS nicer looking, but once in a while, in certain situations, I did wish that I could see a little better through the screen.

Be aware though, if you do get a ZGDB, it will be much more fragile than your OEM screen. Don't ask why I know........

Otherwise it's a great product and provides for a more turbulence and buffet free ride.

Beck

95 VFR

Ok so I'm working a crap load of OT at work right now, so that means its time for something new to me :laugh:

Anyways thinking of adding a Zero Gravity DB windscreen but not sure if I want the light smoked or dark smoked.

My VFR is an 07 in dark candy red

Suggestions??? Pictures too if you have them. I think I'm leaning towards the dark one, as you dont need to see out a VFR windscreen anyways right?

Just to be contrary, I'd go with the light smoke. Sandhill Powersports was selling the light smoke Puig racing screen on eBay for $62.95 w/free shipping. Not sure if that deal is still available. It's a DB also, and a thicker guage plastic than the ZG.

• Member Contributer

drumride08 022.jpg

Dude......there's a cobweb on your bike.

Mine is the same year and color as yours... I just installed a light smoke Puig racing screen.

The tint is just ever so slightly darker than the stock screen, hardly different. And it doesn't have the fade into black at the bottom portion of the screen between the headlights.

Also the "double bubble" of the Puig screen is not quite as dramatic as the DB of the zero gravity screens.

Hope this helps with your decision!

Mine is the same year and color as yours... I just installed a light smoke Puig racing screen.

The tint is just ever so slightly darker than the stock screen, hardly different. And it doesn't have the fade into black at the bottom portion of the screen between the headlights.

Also the "double bubble" of the Puig screen is not quite as dramatic as the DB of the zero gravity screens.

Hope this helps with your decision!

(Also the "double bubble" of the Puig screen is not quite as dramatic as the DB of the zero gravity screens)

What does this mean, and with the black out missing can you see all the wires and such?

Before i purchased my 95 Viffer I had a 2007 R6s and I had a ZG sport touring screen on it. ZG screens have good opitical quality and fit but they are extremely thin. I felt like if I was to breathe on it wrong it would crack. I was super gentle wit it putting it in because it felt really frail.

I have the dark ZG and love it. It looks much better on the bike imho. Get the ZG Ebay store----much cheaper and you can't tell a difference! Plus it doesn't have that cheeser ZG name in white lettering on the side of the shield.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all teh input guys.

I think I'm going with the dark smoked one. But from looking around here I'm going to get the Puig DB over the ZG. Both say they are 3mm thick but everywhere one the net says the ZG seems thin over the Puig

• Member Contributer
Thanks for all teh input guys.

I think I'm going with the dark smoked one. But from looking around here I'm going to get the Puig DB over the ZG. Both say they are 3mm thick but everywhere one the net says the ZG seems thin over the Puig

I'd say just get whatever one is cheaper. The ZG is on the thin side, but it's plenty durable. Besides, it's not like the windscreen takes a beating and it's super easy to install/remove. I've had no problem with mine, and when I had it cut, there was no cracking or breakage. It's a good screen in my opinion.

Archived