Hyperpro Rear Shock

Guest VFR_Rouge

Guest VFR_Rouge

Hi

I need to make a decision soon on my OEM rear shock that is pretty much at the end of its life.

I have been given a quote of $589 on a two-way aftermarket shock for my VFR 800 2003. http://www.hyperpro.com/products/shocks.asp?3DShockID=348

The shock has adjustable rebound damping and threaded pre-load with the enclosed C-spanner. With the type of riding I do (sport-touring) and no track days, I believe a two-way adjustable shock will be a great improvement over what I currently have.

I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with this product? They also given me a quote of $139 for progressive fork spring for the front. My bike has over 50K kms. I should probably get them too since the front forks have never been serviced. What should I look for when it comes to the front suspension?

Thanks

Nic

• Member Contributer

That sounds like the best price/value for an aftermarket shock I've seen. I've got an Elka on my 98 and am very happy with it. I would go with the HP shock and matching spring rate fork springs. Good quality fork springs for your bike go for as little as $80. Just price around. I bought straight rate RaceTech springs for $90 as Indy. Check the bargain forum or suspension mods forum for more specific info. Best money you can spend is on suspension, tires and good Gear. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I do not have any experience with the Hyperpro shock.

However, I had my fork rebuilt a couple of years ago with the Hyperpro fork springs, and I had the stock rear shock rebuilt using the Hyperpro shock spring (they used to sell the fork springs & shock spring as a combination or "combi kit").

I'm happy with the refreshed suspension at both ends of the bike - although keep in mind that any rebuild for the suspension (my VFR is a 94) was going to result in an improved ride.

Like you, I don't take the VFR on the track - just commuting & touring & such.

HTH,

Ron

• Member Contributer

Hyperpro makes a very nice shock, I'm sure you'd be happy with it. If you are on a budget you could consider a CBR929RR shock conversion. I've been doing quite a few of those and it's a really nice upgrade. You can also modify/upgrade those whereas the stock VFR shock does not lend itself to such things. Going all out you would have just over $400 in a shock like this, saving you almost $200.

Also, if I may add, progressive rate springs usually aren't the best option for these bikes. Progressive rate springs are soft in the first part of the travel then extra stiff in the remaining stroke to make up for it. That makes the forks too soft over small bumps and too harsh over big ones - the worst of both worlds as I like to say. I can set you up with a set of straight rate springs matched to your weight for $80 total including shipping, etc. I think you'd be a lot happier with those.

The shock will be a great improvement, you'll love it. The price on the fork springs is pretty high though - Sonic springs(www.sonicsprings.com) go for $80/pr, while RaceTech and Ohlins springs go for about $120. Those three are all straight wound springs, and as Jamie mentioned, would be a better choice for you.

Good luck with your purchase, you're really going to love what it does for the ride! :fing02:

Thanks for the information guys, it's very much appreciated! :fing02:

I will give Elka a call to see if they can do something for me. Jamie, your idea of rebuilding a 929 shock is tempting. I may send you an email if I decide to go this route.

Nic

Hyperpro makes very good shocks. At 50K your forks are definately due for service, you can change the fork springs but if the stock springs are right for your weight (75-80kg) there is not much to gain by replacing them with aftermarket springs. Some fresh oil and new busings will make a difference though.

• Member Contributer
You'll need an F4i shock on that '03. It has a remote reservoir.

I thought the 929 shock would also. I'll have to check my notes, but something makes me think that I've converted 929 shocks for that generation of VFR before.

Archived