Pelican Case As Side Bags?

YoshiHNS

• Member Contributer

Saw these from ADVrider. Starting to think about making a set for my 5th gen. Won't look great, or do anything for aerodynamics, but should be cheaper. Figure $200 for set of cases. Just need to make the mounts. Can't figure out how caribou is making their locking mechanism. Mounting plate isn't a big deal. thoughts?

http://cariboucases.com/store/?name=Home

• Member Contributer

Just got a set of Pelican 1500's for my KLR. 6lbs each, waterproof, indestructable, $80 for the pair on ebay. :biggrin: You'd probably want the larger 1550's though. I say do it, looks be damned :huh:

• Member Contributer

I did that for my Dakar. Used Storm cases which have nicer latches but the cases are not quite as strong as the Pelicans.

2262559414_782d607ed3_o.jpg

Notice the little Pelican on the tank for my camera.

2039277049_51288c3865_o.jpg

They are totally dustproof which counts lots where I now roam.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

ok, i'm going to have some time to actually start working on a design. I'm a bit stuck on making a rack for them. I am thinking of just using the GIVI racks, so people can switch between givi and pelican. It would add a bit of cost to the set, but at least the rack would be guaranteed to fit on the bike. This would also allow me to make a mount good for all models, or so I hope. Found the rack for $130.

Quick comparison. Givi E41 x2 = 82 usable liters = $486

Pelican 1600 x2 = 90 usable liters = $240

So, this would save $250, minus the cost of the mount for the case, plus no need for liner, plus no need to insure cases. Does this sound like a good enough margin?

EDIT: Forgot, but anyone know what the weight limit is on the racks. The pelicans are a couple pounds heavier.

• Member Contributer

I would be very careful how you mount these.. I have GIVIs on my 5th gen and they are mounted quite high for ground clearance.. Pelicans are visually quite tall and seem like they could easily be the first thing to touch corner if mounted too low.

ok, i'm going to have some time to actually start working on a design. I'm a bit stuck on making a rack for them. I am thinking of just using the GIVI racks, so people can switch between givi and pelican. It would add a bit of cost to the set, but at least the rack would be guaranteed to fit on the bike. This would also allow me to make a mount good for all models, or so I hope. Found the rack for $130.

Quick comparison. Givi E41 x2 = 82 usable liters = $486

Pelican 1600 x2 = 90 usable liters = $240

So, this would save $250, minus the cost of the mount for the case, plus no need for liner, plus no need to insure cases. Does this sound like a good enough margin?

EDIT: Forgot, but anyone know what the weight limit is on the racks. The pelicans are a couple pounds heavier.

I would be very careful how you mount these.. I have GIVIs on my 5th gen and they are mounted quite high for ground clearance.. Pelicans are visually quite tall and seem like they could easily be the first thing to touch corner if mounted too low.

Anybody remember that pic of a VTEC railing at the Gap and the OEM side case was nearly dragging? :laugh:

• Member Contributer

I'll check, but I don't think that the pelicans would stick out any farther than the GIVI's. Find that the interior is actually narrower.

Well, if nothing else, I guess i'll be keeping Seb busy with "product development"

• Member Contributer

I've never mounted Pelican cases, but here's an idea for mounting hardware:

Attach a strip of metal to the inside (not inside the case - "inside" in reference to where they sit on the bike) bottom edge of the pelican case, and cut some slots in it. Put a couple knobs on the side rack, you could make them using good-sized nuts and bolts and washers. The slots slide over the knobs, and hold the weight of the case. Just like Givis.

Attach a metal plate at the inside top edge of the case, that sticks out a little above the top. Put a hole in it that matches a hole in the rack. Use a bolt with a wingnut to screw it to the rack.

I guess you could just attach one big plate to the case, for all three mount points. It would be heavier but sturdier.

Someone on ADVRider probably has a more elegant plan already. But if I had to invent my own, that's the first idea that comes to mind.

• Member Contributer

LOL! I just checked out that link and it looks very similar to what I suggested. Click over to see the Givi mounts.

If you wanted to just buy Caribou's Givi fitment kit, you can get the rack side of the hardware on the SW-Motech page at Twisted Throttle, and bolt it to your own home built rack. Cost is about $20. Look for the mounting hardware for the SW-Motech removeable sidecase racks.

You could also go whole hog and buy the SW-Motech removable sidecase rack kit. The sidecase plates have quick release to remove them, so you don't have to leave them on when you're not carrying luggage, the way you would with a Givi rack. You could buy that, bolt the sidecase plates to your Caribou cases, and then just remove the plates and cases as an assembly whenever you liked.

(Yes, I've thought about this a lot, because I've toured on bikes that have no luggage kits available, either aftermarket or factory. And I am a huge fan of hard luggage. So I've had to be creative. I've just never mounted Pelican cases - I've always gone for the Givis.)

• Member Contributer

Yosh..........timmy once had cases on his bike that looked EXACTLY like these, but he purchased them for $20 each at Lowes.

• Member Contributer

Those cases might look good on a tuff off road bike, but the VFR is a thing of beauty and should not be fouled up by look of those cases. Just try to get your hands on some used Givis. Sorry if I offended you but I don't think they would look good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I think I have the design figured out. Going for a simple straight drop in to the bracket as of right now.

Just want to know where the best location for the lock would be? It will affect how I finalize the design. So, should it be on the top, front, or back?

• Member Contributer

Anybody remember that pic of a VTEC railing at the Gap and the OEM side case was nearly dragging? :biggrin:

This nut? :biggrin: :biggrin:

gallery_5444_3979_26810.jpg

Pelican bags look good, seems like a lot of VFR's are getting ADV spec'd these days!

• Member Contributer
I did that for my Dakar. Used Storm cases which have nicer latches but the cases are not quite as strong as the Pelicans.

2262559414_782d607ed3_o.jpg

Notice the little Pelican on the tank for my camera.

2039277049_51288c3865_o.jpg

They are totally dustproof which counts lots where I now roam.

On the right bike they work and look tough as nails. But on any VFR, that doesn't gel! Just imagine putting fenders and running boards from a 1933 Ford on a new Corvette. Yeah, I think I threw up a little in my mouth too! Good luck, JD

I plan to get a set for my '94. I have the Givi monokey wingracks already, so I can simply purchase the Caribous with the monokey fitments. Roger will ship them with the brackets uninstalled so you can adjust them according to your bike. I favor function over fashion nearly always.

No offense taken, VFRs are fairly attractive bikes (not the best I've seen, though), but that's not why I chose one.

Ride Safe!

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Thanks Trav.

Have to reg at ADV now. Can't figure out how he made the oval tube part of the mount. It looks like one continuous ring. Also, if my observations are correct, it looks like he has to screw in the luggage. I'm looking at something that would be more easily removable. Just can't find a locking latch that I like and can use.

Archived