Victoria Ride And Trivia Quiz

• Member Contributer

A friend of mine recently bought H-D's new XR1200 flat-tracker replica from an area dealer way up the road in the Texas mid-coast city of Victoria. He needed to take it back for the break in check so I tagged along as I was looking for an excuse to get in a good long ride. Weather reports were looking excellent (low 70's/no wind) but it cleared out overnight and this morning I was greeted with this:

IMG_0575-1.jpg

YIKES! Well, I added another layer or two (no electrics) and hit the road at 8 a.m. sharp. A few miles down the road, I quickly determined that I can add my name (again.........) to the failed thermostat list. It also happened on my last VTEC on a trip but at least with my 4gen I don't have to worry about an FI system reverting to cold start mode thus killing mpg. Bike ran fine and really seem to love the brisk air.

IMG_0576-1.jpg

After dropping off the XR, we grabbed some lunch and headed over to another dealer who sells Polaris atv's and Hyosung bikes but really has roots as an independent shop since the 70's. David, the owner, has been an avid rider, mx/flat track racer, mad-man, pack-rat, wrench, and crazy modder. Here's a link to some old pics and such on his shops' website: http://www.bosartspolaris.com/gallery.htm He gave us a tour of his place and the amount of "stuff" he has collected/amassed over the years is bewildering. Here's a "few" pics that don't come close to showing everything and a couple of trivia questions thrown in for good measure.

A Hyosung 650 race bike that's been a very capable winner in the twins class.

IMG_0578-1.jpg

Interesting pipe design he came up with. I bet it's LOUD!

IMG_0581.jpg

Jota single anyone? Not quite a basket case but certainly needs some luv.

IMG_0582.jpg

If the vintage Jota needs more help in the motor department, you can pick up one of these from the parts department. Pardon the low quality pic, it was in a cloudy plexiglass case.

IMG_0587.jpg

Next, we headed into the first of three warehouses/shops chocked full of stuff. Most of it is pre-2K.

Fenders.

IMG_0590.jpg

Need a Honda tank?

IMG_0595.jpg

How about some vintage shocks?

IMG_0625.jpg

Side covers, most of which haven't been available from the factories for many, many years.

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

Seats? We gotcha' seats right over here!

IMG_0624.jpg

Motors, motors, motors.

IMG_0591.jpg

Carbs and more carbs.

IMG_0631.jpg

Wheels, cylinder heads, whatever you need. LOL

IMG_0604.jpg

Cranks, rods, and piston assemblies.

IMG_0632.jpg

Handlebars in virtually every bend.

IMG_0626.jpg

And now on to some of bikes, too many to count.

Vintage dirt bikes tucked away in this corner. Santa watches over them.

IMG_0597.jpg

Cool old Whizzer.

IMG_0596.jpg

His personal mid 70's custom CB750 with a period trick bodywork kit.

IMG_0600.jpg

Don't see many with custom hydraulic clutches.

IMG_0599.jpg

I don't know if he machined the calipers his self or just engraved them. That was a sportster fender at one time.

IMG_0598.jpg

60's Honda CL (?). Check out the pipes!

IMG_0618.jpg

Tucked way in the back of the second, bigger building I found not one but two VF1000's.

IMG_0612.jpg

An F model here.

IMG_0610.jpg

And a 86 R model with custom paint here. It's parked right next to a John Deere. I let you draw your own conclusions........ tongue.gif

IMG_0609.jpg

After spending a couple of hours there, we went back to the pick up the XL. Even in a pack of Harleys', which bike did one of the faithful spin around and check out?

IMG_0635.jpg

Yeah, you can't resist the power of the dark side. :cool:

• Member Contributer

That first bike looks like an MR 50, Honda. It was 2 stroke and Soichiro hated 2 strokes.

The engine looks like a CX500, the horizontal 500 twin, but they also made it a 650.

The last bike is NOT a Harley. Got no clues on it or its origin.

Of coarse I could be wrong on all three!

+1.gif with Seb on #1, or a JAWA! :huh:

I agree with Thee, VFRURKNEE!!!!! A transverse V. :fing02:

It might be ME for #3..... :fing02:

DSCF1741.jpg

DSCF1743.jpg

DSCF1744.jpg

DSCF1745.jpg

DSCF1747.jpg

DSCF1749.jpg

Found in the shed of a log house we rented in the fall. SR500 beside it.

Apparently a Turkish company bought all of the moulds and still produces them?

Former Czech Company??? :blink: 250cc single ring dinger.

• Member Contributer

MZ is a former East German company, it originates from 1906 where in 1917 the brand name DKW was established . in 1929 DKW was the largest mc mfgr in the world.

The Soviets took the factory apart after WW2 and moved all stuff to the Motherland (yeah, payback is a biatch..)

Russians still like 2 strokes..

Fire-Motorcycle.jpg

East Germans build a new factory and started producing again.

After the wall came down, MZ did sell ETZ patents to a turskish company and they moved on to 4 stroke engines

The comnpany now trades as MuZ

http://www.muz.de

• Member Contributer

OK,

VFRURKNEE wins on #1 and #2. :huh: :blink: Yes, that is an old mister 50 (MR50) sans a lot of parts. I thought my off angle composition and it missing one cylinder head might fool many on the CX500. The 500 turbos and all the 650's were black BTW.

Umm, I don't know what #3 is. I hoping for an "expert" to answer. :fing02: :fing02:

• Member Contributer
Number three: name this bike.

IMG_0608.jpg

Yep, this is German MZ. They were smoky, some says unreliable, but almost the only bikes available in Hungary back in the days. Actually, I took my motorcycle test with one of those about 20 years ago. Gush, I am old... :fing02:

Archived