Bought A 93 Vfr750, It Wont Start Anymore, Maybe R/r Problem

Guest jay956

Guest jay956

So just got a 93 VFR750 last week, it was running great when i went to test ride it, and it rode great when i picked it up. Over the next couple days i was having some trouble getting it started in the mornings. The first time i just thought, ok this must be how it starts in the cold; but it got worse each time. First couple days i could get it going but it took a long time, but now i cant get it to start. I tried again today, with a fully charged battery, with no luck. About the only thig it did today was back fire a couple time. But when its warm it starts just fine. After reading here it seems like i might have a bad R/R. So unless there is other sugestions i am just going to order a new one and hope for the best. I was wondering where to get one and what type is the best?

and since this is my first post i thought i might show my new bike

n566726100_2246600_1864.jpg

• Member Contributer

It doesn't really sound like an R/R problem to me......but I'm not a mechanic either.

• Member Contributer

Welcome! Nice bike. The '93 white VFR is a beautiful bike IMO. :wacko:

Though I wouldn't classify myself as an experienced mechanic by any means, I can at least offer my two cents. I'm sure other helpful VFRD members will chime in also. If you haven't done so already, a lot of research can be gained by using the search feature in this forum.

I'm trying to interpret the description of the symptom you posted: is the starter motor not turning over or is the engine turning over and the bike is having difficulty in starting? It sounds like the latter of the two, and if so, the R/R wouldn't be suspect so long as your battery is charging up. The R/R (regulator/rectifier) is responsible for charging your battery and regulating voltage to the electrical system. When it fails, your battery doesn't get charged and the lights will go dim while the bike is running, or in extreme cases overvolt and blow out bulbs.

Looking at the condition where the engine is turning over and the bike is having difficulty in starting, look at your basics: air, fuel, spark. Assuming the motor is sound mechanically, I would lean towards the fuel area to troubleshoot first. Seeing how it is difficult to start when cold, fuel enrichment is suspect. I would recommend going to the downloads section of this site ("owners manual and other"), going to the last page, and downloading the VFR 750 service manual. There are troubleshooting charts in select sections. In your case, I would look at section 6-2 first (PDF page 107). Enrichment/choke lever: is it moving smoothly? Have you verified operation by seeing if the linkage is moving at the carbs? Also, what's the condition of the tank? Fresh fuel? Any crud in it? Any kinked lines or dirty filters? HTH

So just got a 93 VFR750 last week, it was running great when i went to test ride it, and it rode great when i picked it up. Over the next couple days i was having some trouble getting it started in the mornings. The first time i just thought, ok this must be how it starts in the cold; but it got worse each time. First couple days i could get it going but it took a long time, but now i cant get it to start. I tried again today, with a fully charged battery, with no luck. About the only thig it did today was back fire a couple time. But when its warm it starts just fine. After reading here it seems like i might have a bad R/R. So unless there is other sugestions i am just going to order a new one and hope for the best. I was wondering where to get one and what type is the best?

and since this is my first post i thought i might show my new bike

n566726100_2246600_1864.jpg

You got a fine, clean looking 3rd gen there, and in the very desirable white color too!

I agree that it does not sound like an RR issue if your battery seems to be charging OK to turn the engine over.

Do you get a lot of gas fumes around your bike? could it be a flooding issue with the carbs? Your bike is getting older and there might be issues starting with your float bowls where too much gas is getting into them because of bad seals. It could be the flooding is fouling up your plugs during starting. Pull them out and inspect the tips if they are wet/fouled. Not sure if this is your problem, but it is one possibility.

Don't give up on your 3rd gen. This should be fiaxable. It's a definite keeper that many here would jump on the oppotunity to own one, specially in the condition that yours seem to be in.

Hope you get it starting better soon!

Beck

95 VFR

Were you using the choke? I know it is a stupid question, but just wanted to make sure.

As others have suggested, check ignition also to make sure you are getting a spark. The plugs are a good indication of how the engine is running.

Are you sure your battery is in good condition? How old is it? When you say fully charged, was it on a battery tender?

I would recommend installing a voltage regulator to monitor the R/R health. Do you know if it the new finned style RR? Have you examined the wiring to make sure the connections are clean and not corroded?

I would upgrade the R/R wiring if it hasn't been done so already. You can go with the www.wiremybike.com vfrness. Or do it yourself. This is a good article.

Bruce Wilson R/R article

Hope that helps.

And very nice bike, btw. :fing02:

Roger

it basically spins but doesnt start. my first thought was the choke or carbs and such but i guess i got a little paranoid after reading all the stuff about the rr's. gas is good, went through 2 tanks already, and the inside of the tank is clean. i do have the service manual and will see what more i can find out after work tomorrow, just wish it wasnt so cold at night. thanks for the sugestions so far

Were you using the choke? I know it is a stupid question, but just wanted to make sure.

As others have suggested, check ignition also to make sure you are getting a spark. The plugs are a good indication of how the engine is running.

Are you sure your battery is in good condition? How old is it? When you say fully charged, was it on a battery tender?

I would recommend installing a voltage regulator to monitor the R/R health. Do you know if it the new finned style RR? Have you examined the wiring to make sure the connections are clean and not corroded?

I would upgrade the R/R wiring if it hasn't been done so already. You can go with the www.wiremybike.com vfrness. Or do it yourself. This is a good article.

Bruce Wilson R/R article

Hope that helps.

And very nice bike, btw. :fing02:

Roger

yes i was using the choke. i checked the plugs today, although kinda dirty they were working, since its cheap and easy i replaced them anyway. as far as battery condition the previous owner said it was good, but im not really sure. i had it on a bettery tender overnight. im gona try to check out all the voltage stuff tomorrow or over the weekend.

• Member Contributer

Nice blue/white spark? First thing to come to mind, carbs or ground to the coils.

• Member Contributer
yes i was using the choke. i checked the plugs today, although kinda dirty they were working, since its cheap and easy i replaced them anyway. as far as battery condition the previous owner said it was good, but im not really sure. i had it on a bettery tender overnight. im gona try to check out all the voltage stuff tomorrow or over the weekend.

I've found that the 2nd and 3rd generation VFRs have a propensity to "wet foul" their spark plugs.

You stated that you've changed the plugs and they were dirty. Were they wet as well??

The backfiring you mentioned leads me to believe this may be your problem.

My 1996 VFR would foul the plugs when trying to start it at anything below 50 degrees F.

When that would happen to me, I'd swap out all four plugs, avoid using the choke again after the plug swap, and she'd start up just fine.

Just a thought...

I have nothing to offer that hasnt already been said..other than that is a sweet 3rd gen and if you cant figure it out....IMO it would be worth taking to a mechanic to fix..or sell it to me dirt cheap and Ill take it to the mech!!! Man i want a white VFR!!!

so, yesterday i dumped some seafoam in the tank. and tonight I went to check out the fuel filter and pump, and put in a new battery. filter looked decent and pump seemed to be working fine. put everything back together, stuck the new battery in and vroom. now I still don't think it was just the battery cuz I had the other one charged up completely and even tried to jump it once with no luck. I'm gona get my mechanic to check it out still.

Thanks for all the help.

• 3 weeks later...

so turns out some of the coils were bad and it was runnin on 2 cylinders. got her all fixed up and its runnin great now. thanks for all the input.

i chased the rectifier/regulator problem myself. the R/R went out, replaced it, then the battery would die since the faulty R/R abused it. replaced battery, but by that time the R/R was toasted again because battery was abused. it wasn't until i replaced both at once that the problem went away. just a thought.

NOOOOO! although it runs much better and theres a ton more power, it still start really hard. it was sitting all day sunday and on monday it took like 5 mins to get it to hold an idle. its back like it was when i first got it. press the starter and it runs for like 2 seconds and dies, repeat 10 times untill it gets some warmth in it and then itll be fine.

You are going to have to pull the carbs and do some serious cleaning I think. Probably some gunk'd up passages is all. Lots of little places to get gunk'd up in there.

Sweet bike BTW...but then again, I am a bit biased. :biggrin:

VFR-REX001.jpg

I had the same problem, ran fine. Started fine when the temp was 60 or greater, would barely start under 60. Pulled carbs, the choke/enrichment circuit was plugged on some of the carbs.

When it doesn't start and you hear some firing, check the exhaust pipes to see which cyclinders are firing.

Lots of information on pulling carbs and cleaning them here somewhere, get a manual.

My 4th gen is alot like your 3rd gen.

I had the same problem, ran fine. Started fine when the temp was 60 or greater, would barely start under 60. Pulled carbs, the choke/enrichment circuit was plugged on some of the carbs.

When it doesn't start and you hear some firing, check the exhaust pipes to see which cyclinders are firing.

Lots of information on pulling carbs and cleaning them here somewhere, get a manual.

My 4th gen is alot like your 3rd gen.

thats what im thinking now too. i do have the repair manual, but being without a garage i am limited to what im willing to try. dont want it to start raining or something after i have the carbs off!

Archived