Damsel In Distress

Blesk

• Member Contributer

This is an '06 VFR- The bike is all taken apart and I'm trying to replace a burned out headlight bulb. I've searched all over VFRD for any clues but to no avail. The only suggestion that seems to apply is "make sure to squeeze tight when pulling off the connector". My buddy giving me a hand here is pretty strong so the problem doesn't seem to be not squeezing the connector clips hard enough. The entire bulb is moving though and we can't seem to get it to come off the connector. Please post any suggestions ASAP!! I'm going to hang out in the LiveChat in case any one's got time to help talk me through this.

Vise grips to the rescue!!!!!!! Off to the parts store to swap out for the right bulb.................. more later

Thanks a bunch!!! :D

• Member Contributer
That's why it's good to keep a strong man around. Or a pair of wise grips.

C'mon..........have some class!

This is an '06 VFR- The bike is all taken apart and I'm trying to replace a burned out headlight bulb. I've searched all over VFRD for any clues but to no avail. The only suggestion that seems to apply is "make sure to squeeze tight when pulling off the connector". My buddy giving me a hand here is pretty strong so the problem doesn't seem to be not squeezing the connector clips hard enough. The entire bulb is moving though and we can't seem to get it to come off the connector. Please post any suggestions ASAP!! I'm going to hang out in the LiveChat in case any one's got time to help talk me through this.

Vise grips to the rescue!!!!!!! Off to the parts store to swap out for the right bulb.................. more later

Thanks a bunch!!! :D

The bulb's heat sometimes "bakes" the connector on and you pretty much have to break that bond that forms with the bulb socket assembly with a bit of pressure and some wiggling. Try spraying on a penetrant like WD40 qt the seam where the socket meets the connecto and let it sit for a while, then try pulling it off again.

Good luck!

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer
That's why it's good to keep a strong man around.

:cool: I DID have a strong man around and he wasn't able to muscle the connector off!! :blink: That's why I got on here to look for some better answers!

Long story short we were not applying ENOUGH pressure on the clips to release the connectors. The vise grips provided the proper proportion of "squeeze" to pull.

Thanks everybody for the helpful suggestions. Most of all thank you Hondalover for hopping into chat and talking us through with some more helpful suggestions and cheering us on!

That's why it's good to keep a strong man around. Or a pair of wise grips.

C'mon..........have some class!

Actually, I'm really SURPRISED that a topic like 'Damsel in distress' only garnered up about 120 views. :dry:

I was out all day...... :cool:

And when I, of course, 'instinctively' checked out your profile (how I earned my Volunteer status), Travis hadn't even been there yet! :ohmy:

Glad you got it figured out; I ruined one before I became a member here..... :blink: sad.gif

As for the Volunteer thing, it's a tough job, but somebody has to do it..... :blush:

I think that people sometimes forget that there are MALE Cougars out there too! :wub: :happy:

Just yankin' yer chain, is all. Who has more fun than PEOPLE anyways? :491:

Greg :fing02:

Ps. Nice white bike, but did you know your Photo Gallery was empty???? :goofy:

• Member Contributer
I DID have a strong man around and he wasn't able to muscle the connector off!! :blink:

What you needed was a SMART man around, :cool:

that's why I wouldn't be of any help! tongue.gif

Best of my memory, you have to do the squeezing thing down near the bulb, not out on the end where the wires are. It's kind of counter intuitive (I try to use that word as often as possible).

• Member Contributer
I DID have a strong man around and he wasn't able to muscle the connector off!! :blink:

What you needed was a SMART man around, :cool:

that's why I wouldn't be of any help! tongue.gif

That's why I adviced to have WISE grips (as opposed to vise grips or, heaven forbid, vice grips). smile.gif

Best of my memory, you have to do the squeezing thing down near the bulb, not out on the end where the wires are. It's kind of counter intuitive (I try to use that word as often as possible).

Exactly. You have to push your fingers into the rubber boot a little bit in order to put pressure on the tabs at the front of the socket. I found it helpful to practice on the hi beam sockets, which are much easier to see and get your fingers on. Once you figure out how the connector works, go for the lo beam, where you're working in the blind, just by feel.

Archived