Got A Garmin Gps For Christmas

Guest sparkyd31

Guest sparkyd31

Hi guys,

The wife bought me a GPS for our new car.It's the Garmin Nuvi 200.I would love to mount this on my bike seeing I get lost easy when I'm exploring the roads by myself without buddies.Can someone guide me to what I need to buy that will work real nice mounting this brand and model GPS to my VFR. Thanks,Sparkyd31

Hi guys,

The wife bought me a GPS for our new car.It's the Garmin Nuvi 200.I would love to mount this on my bike seeing I get lost easy when I'm exploring the roads by myself without buddies.Can someone guide me to what I need to buy that will work real nice mounting this brand and model GPS to my VFR. Thanks,Sparkyd31

Go to Ram mount

they have the best mounting kits.

Congrats on the gift! Riding with a GPS (for me at least) makes it more fun to go exploring! I always make it home now LOL.

Go to gpscity.com and get these:

Qty Item Price Amount

1 RAM Mount Short Length Dual 1.0 inch Socket Arm (Model: RAM-B-201U-A) $8.98 $8.98

1 RAM Mount Garmin nuvi 2xx Series Cradle (Model: RAM-HOL-GA24U) $8.19 $8.19

1 RAM Mount Plastic Diamond Base with 1'' dia Ball (Model: RAP-B-238U) $4.72 $4.72

1 RAM Mount Motorcycle Handle Base with Double 1'' Ball (Model: RAM-B-309-6U) $12.48 $12.48

The last item can be substituted for the mount of your choice -- that one screws into the brake or clutch cylinder.

• Member Contributer

I bought a "reconditioned" GPS really cheap on Ebay at first. Technology is changing so fast I figured I'd get a beginner unit and move my way up later. On my very first ride I pulled out the GPS because I was in a unfamiliar town and I couldn't find my hotel. In just a few moments ( FIND) I had a route to the hotel loading and I was on my way. That first experience was a huge success. I was hooked!

The RAM mounts are great. I've seen a load of them - and there is a great variety of mounts to choose from. CycleGadgets seems to have most of everything you'll need.

I hard wired my GPS to the bike and added a fuse block while I was at it. It all worked out great and operates just the way it's supposed to.

A personal comment - I almost LOST the unit one day when I failed to lock it into the mount. I double check things now and I might even add a little leash as a back up. I also take the GPS in with me when I walk away from the bike. I have a proximity alarm (Scorpio) that works great, but I still take my tank bag and stuff with me.

Once you have the mount taken care of you'll enjoy the thought of getting completely LOST on back roads out in the middle of no where - press the button and your route back will be up on the screen in seconds.

I guess the hardest part of this whole thing is matching the GPS unit to the MAPS that are available to my MAC computer. You PC guys have it made. The Macintosh route is a little more complicated and I have not spent much money on software yet. The possibilities are endless. It's very cool. I guess I better find out how to do it.

• Member Contributer

Just use the suction cup and suction it to the Speedo sight window. Costs no money, you can do it right now and your Nuvi displays speed so you don't need the speedo anyway. Cycling on a budget...Congrats. Otherwise get a Ram Mount as previously mentioned. Now go get lost so you can find your way home... tongue.gif

That is awesome I got the very same one for Christmas too!!!!!

Now for mounting, I like the cost effective suction cup to the spedo but what other suggestions do you all have? Can I see some pics too please!!!

Awesome! I'm planning on getting myself a Zumo 550 GPS for myself for christmas this year. No G/F for the first time in 7 years = more farkles. :fing02: I'm excited about getting one also. Been wanting one for a while, and finally decided the Zumo was the way to go for myself. Hopefully I'll be able to get it in the next month or so. That will give me plenty of time to plan out trips for this year.

• Member Contributer

RAM mounts are THE way to go and the folks at www.CycleGadgets.com are VERY knowledgeable and friendly.

I used to visit their shop back when they were in Northern Indiana.

Remember that your Nuvi is NOT waterproof. :fing02:

• Member Contributer
Hi guys,

Hey Sparky,

I lucked out too. My brother-in-law got a new caddi with GPS built in. He's giving me his add-on instument for my car and bike. Let me know what you do for mounting. Ain't Christmas great!!!!!

wrestler

• Member Contributer

My wife bought me a GPS for Christmas too. I got the Magellan Crossover. It's water proof and about half the price of the Zumo. I spent another $70 or so on Ram Mount and hardwire. Haven't had time to install yet, but can't wait to try it out.

• Member Contributer
Awesome! I'm planning on getting myself a Zumo 550 GPS for myself for christmas this year. No G/F for the first time in 7 years = more farkles. :goofy: I'm excited about getting one also. Been wanting one for a while, and finally decided the Zumo was the way to go for myself. Hopefully I'll be able to get it in the next month or so. That will give me plenty of time to plan out trips for this year.

I got my Zumo two years ago on XMAS. What a Santa!!!!!!!!!

• Member Contributer
Just use the suction cup and suction it to the Speedo sight window.

No offense, but I personally wouldn't recommend this method.

In theory it works well, but from personal experience, it's by no means foolproof.

I tried this while I toured Florida two years ago, and at one point the suction cup failed and the unit fell. Luckily for me the gps (suction cup mount attached) fell into and got caught in the fairing under the handlebar.

I'll soon be ordering a bar mount system, but for the last few years I've done it like this. I figure if I'm far enough from home to get lost, chances are I'll have my tankbag with me anyway. it's very easy to use the touchscreen through the map pocket window of the tankbag.

Since the photos, I have upgraded to a Nuvi 350 which has a headphone port and mp3 player.

Congrats on your new toy...

Feb19285.jpg

Feb19270.jpg

THAT'S nice, but remember that Magellan circumnavigated ( well, his boat did) the world without GPS, and a good VFR rider i know here went off the road with significant damage while looking at his screen.....

HELL, it's OK to get "lost" sometimes, and all great world explorers were "lost" when they made their new discoveries.

gallery_3647_3505_9445.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

• Member Contributer
THAT'S nice, but remember that Magellan circumnavigated ( well, his boat did) the world without GPS, and a good VFR rider i know went off the road while looking at his screen.....

HELL, it's OK to get "lost" sometimes.

gallery_3647_3505_9445.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

That's one UGLY freakin' squirrel!!

What is this getting LOST crap??? We're men..........we don't get lost!

LOST? who's lost? I'm not lost...at least in my mind, anyway. Er, unless I'm trying to get to Houghton. Where is that damn GPS? :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Since I spend time figuring out how I wanted to mount my GPS and which specific parts would be required, I thought I'd share my setup with you.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 200, which is the cheapest of the Nuvi's (mine was $140 at Target in early 2008). No it's not waterproof, and no you can't create custom routes, but it does a nice job at navigating when you consider how cheap it is. Plus it was a gift, so I'm going to stick with it!

After reading various discussions I decided I wanted to go with a tank mount system. Some research along with a helpful reply here on the forum, led me to purchase the following parts from GPSCITY:

1. RAM Mount Zinc U-Bolt Rail Base with Standard Arm Diamond Assembly

P/N: RAM-B-149ZU SKU: RAMB149Z

QTY: 1

PRICE EACH: $25.95

ITEM TOTAL: $25.95

2. RAM Mount Garmin nuvi 2xx Series Cradle

P/N: RAM-HOL-GA24U SKU: RAMHOLGA24

QTY: 1

PRICE EACH: $8.19

ITEM TOTAL: $8.19

The U-Bolt Rail Base fits the tank mounting hole pattern, and I simply threw the 2 U-bolts from the kit in a drawer since they're not needed.

The installation was a snap, although the tank mounting bolts could stand to be slightly longer. I don't feel like they threaded very far before being tight. I will probably look for longer bolts at some point.

On to the pics:

IMG_2167.jpg

IMG_2165.jpg

IMG_2169.jpg

If I had one nit to pick, I would pick on the very slightly disappointing level of finish on the RAM Mount parts. There were some ugly mold lines that I had to clean up with a razor blade. Also, some of the black finish where the ball meets the part did not cover very well. But once it's installed, it is completely hidden from view.

I really like how it worked out. The mount is extremely versatile and has a very wide range of adjustment. For $180 total, I can't complain about my setup.

Archived