Can't Remove A Fork Seal

VFRDYLAN

• Member Contributer

I'm in the process of trying to service my front forks on a 2K VFR and I cannot get the darn fork seal out.

I've previously changed the fork seals on this bike (with non-OEM). Today I have the fork apart, but despite using the slide hammering motion back and forth, the seal is t not budging.

I've serviced VFR forks about 3-4 other times and never an issue.

Problem: when I slide the tube all the way out to act as a hammer to remove the seal, it gets stuck (fulling extended) in the slider and I literally need to tap the slider end to release the 2 sections. Does this indicate a posible bend in the tube or bushing issue?

I've been trying for over an hour to release this thing ! Any sugestions on what else to try?

603-767-0795 (cell)

Dylan

• Member Contributer
I'm in the process of trying to service my front forks on a 2K VFR and I cannot get the darn fork seal out.

I've previously changed the fork seals on this bike (with non-OEM). Today I have the fork apart, but despite using the slide hammering motion back and forth, the seal is t not budging.

I've serviced VFR forks about 3-4 other times and never an issue.

Problem: when I slide the tube all the way out to act as a hammer to remove the seal, it gets stuck (fulling extended) in the slider and I literally need to tap the slider end to release the 2 sections. Does this indicate a posible bend in the tube or bushing issue?

I've been trying for over an hour to release this thing ! Any sugestions on what else to try?

603-767-0795 (cell)

Dylan

I had the same problem last summer. It was the first time for me that I was attempting a fork-removal procedure. Anyway, after a couple of hours, it eventually broke free. I think that some are just more stubborn (keep hammering) but don't take my word for it, I'm not a mechanic and it was my first time.

Good luck.

PPM

• Member Contributer

Did you remember to remove the circlip that holds in the fork seal, access under the dust seal, this would also give the syptoms you descibe.

Sometimes these can be forgotten.

Hope that helps

Bren :mad:

• Member Contributer
Did you remember to remove the circlip that holds in the fork seal, access under the dust seal, this would also give the syptoms you descibe.

Sometimes these can be forgotten.

Hope that helps

Bren :mad:

Nope. I removed the clip and then even double checked the manual to make sure there was not a snap ring (there is on my VF1000R.

No luck.

• Member Contributer

After changing fork & dust seals two weeks ago on my 4th gen, I can tell you that my right fork seal was a PITA to remove. Hammering away for about an hour, the bushing finally budged and I was able to pull the seal. Yes, I had to tap the top of the fork tube. It's not indicative of a bent fork, you're just reaching a portion of the tube that isn't as smooth as the area within normal travel so the tube doesn't slide away as easily. Once you get things pulled apart, be sure to inspect the bushing to check for signs of wear (e.g.: coating worn off), and if so, replace.

The left side was a breeze. Withing 5 slides, the bushing and seal came out- go figure. I guess persistence pays off to win the battle of the stubborn bushing/seal, so keep trying.

I had the same problem... worked on them probably three different times over a couple of weeks. When finally apart I found the bushings started into one another and caused it to be so stubborn.

I changed upper and lower bushings, and used OEM seals during reassembly. all worked well. I think that in the future I will go ahead and replace the bushings on any seal replacement... it's only about $25 more and it would keep that from happening.

• Member Contributer
Did you unscrew the bolt at the bottom of the fork, that hold the cartridge in place? I've never had a problem pulling forks apart, even some that hadn't been touched in over 20 years...

The bolt is removed and the entire cartridge, spring, spacers, etc... The only pieces left are the tube and slider... and that dang seal. I soaked it in WD40 last night and will give is a fresh pull tonight. :491:

This is the 1st set I've ever had this type of problem. I just rebuilt a set of 1985 VF1000R forks (sonic springs, etc..) and they took only a few minutes to do each one.

I may just go ahead and order a set of bushing and replace as Micheal (WERA910) suggested.

Did you unscrew the bolt at the bottom of the fork, that hold the cartridge in place? I've never had a problem pulling forks apart, even some that hadn't been touched in over 20 years...

The bolt is removed and the entire cartridge, spring, spacers, etc... The only pieces left are the tube and slider... and that dang seal. I soaked it in WD40 last night and will give is a fresh pull tonight. :fing02:

This is the 1st set I've ever had this type of problem. I just rebuilt a set of 1985 VF1000R forks (sonic springs, etc..) and they took only a few minutes to do each one.

I may just go ahead and order a set of bushing and replace as Micheal (WERA910) suggested.

I know it was a silly question, but we all have brain farts now and then. Sounds like you need to pull harder! :491:

You can always use a propane torch to help remove stuck seals. What you have to do is. Put the fork leg in a vise. Use the torch to heat the outside area of the fork where the seal is. All around it. Just enough heat to where you can't put your hand on it. Hot to the touch. And pull the fork tube out like a slide hammer. It may take a few tries. But it will come. The heat expanses the alum, breaking the corrosion loose. I've done this alot on old dirt bikes. I told this to one person who shall go nameless about doing this. Instead of using a propane torch. He used an o/a torch with a rosebud tip. He wanted heat right now, and he got it. And he also got a damaged fork leg. So be careful!

• Member Contributer
You can always use a propane torch to help remove stuck seals. What you have to do is. Put the fork leg in a vise. Use the torch to heat the outside area of the fork where the seal is. All around it. Just enough heat to where you can't put your hand on it. Hot to the touch. And pull the fork tube out like a slide hammer. It may take a few tries. But it will come. The heat expanses the alum, breaking the corrosion loose. I've done this alot on old dirt bikes. I told this to one person who shall go nameless about doing this. Instead of using a propane torch. He used an o/a torch with a rosebud tip. He wanted heat right now, and he got it. And he also got a damaged fork leg. So be careful!

I'll give this a try tonight. After another night of pulling it without success, :schla15: all I have is a sore arm and a cut & bruised hand (where hand hit the ear that atached the brak caliper.

• Member Contributer

Behold the power of a little heat. I used a small hand torch to get a little heat in the slider end and the seal finally came out !!!

Thanks for all the great solutions... :biggrin: :cool:

Behold the power of a little heat. I used a small hand torch to get a little heat in the slider end and the seal finally came out !!!

Thanks for all the great solutions... :beer: :beer:

I told you so. :fing02: Have a few on me. :beer: :beer: :beer:

Archived