02 Mods

Guest 02vfr800rr

Question

15 answers to this question

You can get frame sliders that you don't have to drill the plastic, but they aren't recommended! When they are mounted, they are too far toward the rear of the bike and will cause it to hit the fron on the ground, thus defeating the purpose of having them installed. Stick with the Radar sliders if any are available, or if they aren't, go to the Motivation sliders...

As far as wheels go, call some local junk yards and you may get lucky, or if you want them new, these guys are about as inexpensive as it gets...

http://hdlparts.com/

• Member Contributer
I don't think anyone makes VFR specific wheels, I have seen many Dymag & Marcaccini(?) center lock rears used and several fronts can work with modded spacers & rotors.

Yes they are available AND from the good ol' USA too!

http://www.forged-wheel.com/vstarsingle.htm

you may remember this pic that was posted here when they became available:

http://www.forged-wheel.com/images/HONGallery117.JPG

I just got a used set for my RC51 because a) they don't call that bike "the pig" for nothing and b) I got a great price. WOW, they TOTALLY transformed the handling and feel. It now feels and steers like my old F4i which is my reference point for light bike handling. They reduced rolling mass also which allows the bike to acell/decell quicker too.

If you can afford the ticket price, I highly recommend them. You won't regret it. On a bike like the 51 that has decent stock suspenders, I might go so far as to say to buy these before new suspension. Now on a bikes like VFR's and others with low to mid-grade suspension, it's still probably better to tackle that first but I'd still be tempted to go with the wheels first. day-umm I really like mine. :laugh:

• Member Contributer
HONGallery117.JPG

Listed on the website for $2450...

Now that is a great buy! Does that include a singing clown that shows up on your door step to sing, "Your so Vain"? Seriously, those look so cool but that is some serious cash! JD

You can get frame sliders that you don't have to drill the plastic, but they aren't recommended! When they are mounted, they are too far toward the rear of the bike and will cause it to hit the fron on the ground, thus defeating the purpose of having them installed. Stick with the Radar sliders if any are available, or if they aren't, go to the Motivation sliders...

Somebody (I don't remember who) also makes a set of frame sliders that bolt to a bracket that's installed on top of the radiator. Sounds like a great way to puncture your radiator.

...Listed on the website for $2450...

Now that is a great buy! Does that include a singing clown that shows up on your door step to sing, "Your so Vain"? Seriously, those look so cool but that is some serious cash! JD

Yes, it's actually a great buy! Considering you get a custom-machined rear axle that allows you to convert to a single-nut rear wheel, it really is a bargain. Plus, I believe the $2450 price tag also include Galfer front wave rotors too.

• Member Contributer
Can any other wheels be fitted on the rear, those are a little expensive.

You can make anything fit, but you have to pay to play. An 8-spoke rear is about the only economical swap to change the look.

• Member Contributer
Yes, it's actually a great buy! Considering you get a custom-machined rear axle that allows you to convert to a single-nut rear wheel, it really is a bargain. Plus, I believe the $2450 price tag also include Galfer front wave rotors too.

Yeah when you consider that the set for my RC51 are $1800 plus you need a kawi ZX rear sprocket (not much coin but an additional purchase none the less), getting new front discs and a custom rear hub/axle/nut isn't that much more. To put things into perspective, forged magnesium are in the $3k range while CF wheels are around $4k and AFAIK not available for the VFR from any manufacturer.

They look cool, but they look like a pain to clean.

Get 'em in black plus they have smooth forged/machined surfaces and not the casting pits like the stock wheels. After you experience the difference, you wouldn't even think twice about cleaning issues; kinda' like dissing an ohlins shock because it's too shiny.

Look, I know I'm championing a losing cause here because they are a very expensive mod. I laffed off the initial posting on these wheels last year and I could only comfortably afford to buy used set for my 51. The only way "to see the light" is to spend extended saddle time on a bike with a set (especially a before/after comparison) and then they start to make real sense. BTW, the forged aluminum sets are actually stronger and more resistant to wheel bends than stockers.

• Member Contributer

Somebody (I don't remember who) also makes a set of frame sliders that bolt to a bracket that's installed on top of the radiator. Sounds like a great way to puncture your radiator.

Yes, they are, and they are expensive buggers too. They are a kinda nice idea, but have problems. There is too great a span between where they bolt (engine mount and in front of the engine) and even though it's about a 1/4" piece of stainless it will fold like overcooked spaghetti. I laid mine down once and it caved the radiator in and pushed the fan into the engine... i'd rather have had scarred plastic. If you want sliders, drill the hole and put the force on the frame.

• Member Contributer
I bought the motovation frame sliders. Can any other wheels be fitted on the rear, those are a little expensive.

Some think it is a deal but that is crazy? The improvement in performance does not justify the expense. IMOP

Archived