Exhaust Diagram

Guest Mr. Horsepower

Guest Mr. Horsepower

so i am trying to figure out what the inside of the stock 07 vfr 800 muffler looks like. does anyone have a diagram or a link to one. basically i am looking for an image of how the can is set up internally. routing of internal pipes and baffles and such...can anyone help

• Member Contributer
so i am trying to figure out what the inside of the stock 07 vfr 800 muffler looks like. does anyone have a diagram or a link to one. basically i am looking for an image of how the can is set up internally. routing of internal pipes and baffles and such...can anyone help

I want to know, too!

yeah i figured someone would have done that...i looked through a ton of the threads and still have not seen it...if anyone is more familiar with the thread or if you were the one that made the sketch can you please post here...thanks

• Member Contributer

It's been a long time since I've gutted one so I'll try to talk to through it.

Three chambers. The exhaust passes a screen into the first chamber (closest to the front of the bike), then through a pipe to the third chamber (closest to the rear), then turns 180 and goes into the middle chamber, then turns 180 again and out the actual pipe you see coming out the end of he stock can.

No pic, but I hope this helps.

PM Kanadian Ken as I think he might have a diagram.

• Member Contributer
Find the exhaust gut thread started by Rice. He had a great diagram of what it looks like.

Diagram.jpg

when people drill them out what part are they drilling??? i know you just basically shove a long drill bit into the exit pipes and drill away...is there a better or easier way to do it...???

• 2 years later...

when people drill them out what part are they drilling??? i know you just basically shove a long drill bit into the exit pipes and drill away...is there a better or easier way to do it...???

Got the same question.

Please any one knows put some mark-up on the diagram showing where to drill, how deep and actually the modification hole would be made from which part to which parts?

Thank you.

• Member Contributer

What you're actually doing is removing a small section of the last exhaust pipe so that the air, rather than flowing back into the middle chamber and out, can go directly from the first chamber out.

You are removing this section in the circles, and the arrows show the airflow.

Diagram.jpg

There is a step-by-step instructional thread, but basically, you drill out the weld that holds the exit pipes in place by drilling with a 1" whole saw around the outside of the pipe, then with a small cut-off wheel, you cut the exit pipe from the inside and pull it out.

Thanks Ryan for the obvious explanation. That way is more on gutting the muffler.

In HERE, they mentioned about "drill" some holes "at the angle"... and I believe that is drilling on the muffler.

There is a diagram showing the "drilling" on other bike exhaust:

87979d1151239825-anyone-modify-stock-muffler-exhaustm.jpg

yeah i figured someone would have done that...i looked through a ton of the threads and still have not seen it...if anyone is more familiar with the thread or if you were the one that made the sketch can you please post here...thanks

Use Google search, it works a lot better than ours IMO! Just add ,VFRD to the end of the search and it pulls things up nicely! :fing02: ie: "Gutt 6th gen VFR exhaust, VFRD"

BR

• Member Contributer

Thanks Ryan for the obvious explanation. That way is more on gutting the muffler.

In HERE, they mentioned about "drill" some holes "at the angle"... and I believe that is drilling on the muffler.

There is a diagram showing the "drilling" on other bike exhaust:

87979d1151239825-anyone-modify-stock-muffler-exhaustm.jpg

No, I am referring to the "no gut" solution. So that we're all on the same page, and not arguing over definitions: Gutting the muffler involves sawing off the end caps, removing everything, and then reattaching them.

What I'm referring to is removing a small section of the outflow pipe by drilling into the muffler and using a dremel.

Here is the original thread: "New Way to Gut" thread

Is this what you're asking about?

Use Google search, it works a lot better than ours IMO! Just add ,VFRD to the end of the search and it pulls things up nicely! :fing02: ie: "Gutt 6th gen VFR exhaust, VFRD"

BR

I agree, use Google to search this site. But the correct way to search and get only VFRD info is to use this search format - "Gut 6th gen VFR exhaust site:vfrdiscussion.com"

Use the "site: ~~~~" to limit your results to just one web site.

Archived