Numb Butt

pres589

Question

• Member Contributer

Over the course of a short road trip this past weekend (220 miles each way) I found that while the BLS Lowering Blocks did their job well and my knees were much happier about this whole VFR thing (amazingly nice improvement, should be a factory option) I'm still getting numb aka monkey butt. I've got a Sargent seat and it's got about 8k miles of use on it so I imagine it's broken in at this point. I've also got Gen Mar bar risers. What else is there for me?

To get real scientific, it seems like the pressure caused by my body mass times the force of gravity is causing poor circulation and pressure pin-pointing under my a** instead of having the weight spread out. If I were to design a seat in my mind and then have it rapid prototyped somehow, I'd combine the materials of a Sargent into a seat that had less drop for the pilot, putting it closer to even with the area for a passenger. Then, try to lengthen the wider area meant for my butt, in the hopes of spreading out more of the weight.

Does anyone know of a seat like this? I seem to remember a really ugly seat some company names with a name like "Don Rickles" only it's pretty obviously not Don Rickles making seats in his garage between comedy events in Vegas. Honestly, it looked like the seat bottom off of an older tractor. As it is, I'm pushing things by going more than 1.75 hours at a time on the highway, at that point I pretty much have to get off the bike and walk around for a good ten minutes to get some life back into my backside.

For pants I'm using a pair of Rev'It! pants, four season jobs, so there's some padding to them but it's not real major. I'm kind of a tight wad at times and don't want to spend cash on hopeful fixes that aren't likely to help, but I'm thinking a pair of bike shorts would be nice, like some Nike or Cannondale jobs, which aren't cheap at all. Other ideas? The Sargent is great for around town stuff and so much better than the factory plank Honda calls a seat, but if it's a question of saving my pennies and dimes for something else, I'll keep it in mind. Just looking for ideas. If it matters, I'm six foot five inches tall, so what works for some of you horse jockey shaped individuals may be worthless for me (witness my ranting about windshields a year ago, which I'm probably going to revisit sometime in the next six months as well...).

11 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Ive had this "condition" alot as well, and still do on certain days. It happened much quicker with the stock seat, and after installing the Sargent I dont get it as frequently....or if i do, it takes much longer to set in. But, bottom line is that I still do get it.

The strange thing is like this weekend for example. Rode from home here to Beloit to watch a buddy's track day; about 100 miles, all 100% slab, no turns. No butt or fatique issues at all. From there, went out to the Mississippi, roughly another 100 straight miles. No problems with seat comfort or fatique. Yesterday then went from Dubuque up the river and then east as far back home as I could get b dark; roughly 220 miles total. Again, no fatique or seat issues, besides just getting tired later in the day from low sleep. But this morning early I finished up the rest of the 80 miles to get back home here....but this time after 45 mins or less my ass was totally sore. I dont get it.

My point is that on certain days its not an issue, sometimes almost regardless of miles/seat time. But on other days, it tends to set in faster and can almost ruin the rest of the ride.

What i have figured out is that obviously, riding twisties can be easier since you're moving off the seat, changing weight and position more often than if you're stuck on straight highway or slab. But, like I said, ive also had slab days where i was fine the entire day and was almost puzzled as to why.

But, things Ive found that help just a bit are changing seat postion once and awhile; like leaning a touch off maybe the right side and riding one handed for a bit. And, taking enough rest stops is super important for your whole body. Getting off and walking around at a gas station or something even for 10 minutes does wonders for me. If you're doing alot of highway miles especially, stop at rest areas if you're not in a rush. Sometimes they're the only thing that makes interstates bearable at all to me.

But, Im hoping others will chime in a bit on this one, as Im always looking for some possible hints and tricks for helping with fatique...

I was going to keep this a secret until I got mine done..but. Mean City Seats in NC takes your seat pan and based on info you give re contours the seat. They have many levels of customization. A buddy at work is sending his VTX 1300 seat in around Nov (you have to make an appointment now). Prices are very reasonable.

• Member Contributer

When Jalene and I were having the seat rebuilt so her section was also custom, the guys really emphasized the importance of wearing pants with no seams in the butt, not having your wallet back there, etc. They also recommended the kind of spandex underwear that bicyclists use, not necessarily padded shorts, but smooth and seamless with some compression.

Another good technique is that when your butt starts to hurt but it's not yet time to stop, flex each cheek really hard for about 5 seconds, alternating sides several times. Then flex the muscles in your thighs and calves like that. It gets the blood moving in your butt and legs and can be a big help temporarily until you can stop for a break.

If you want your seat rebuilt specifically for you and your riding style, I highly recommend BillMayerSaddles.com in Ojai, CA. They did a super job on my section three years ago, and we visited the factory for Jalene's section to be done. Now it's a 600 mile a day seat for both of us. Good luck!

• Member Contributer

i haven't gotten one for the bike, but i found a sheepskin pad in a car works wonders. i have seen many gold wings and such with big sheepskin pads... i have never had the nerve to get on on my vfr!!! ha.

during long straight boring sections i will shift one cheek off the seat and kinda sit on my thigh. sure, i prolly look like i am trying to take a dump, but when yer ass is killin' ya what do ya do?

• Member Contributer

There's a place called Spencers Seat Modifcations in Florida, but I know nothing about them. This Mean City Cycles mentioned above looks rather promising too. I may just give them a try. Both my stock seat and the Sargent suck.

I don't know, but I have seen so many posts that praises those wooden bead seat covers to high heaven for preventing high mileage numb/burning butt syndrome on bilkes.

Admittedly not the kewhlest of looks you might give to your bike, but if the butt numbness/burn gets bad enough, you might not care how it looks like anyway.

Maybe someone could save the day and make a "high tech" version, using carbon fiber beads instead of the traditional wooden ones :biggrin:

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

I've had some good success with Calvin Klein BIKER SHORTS with an inseam that extends almost to my knee - worn inside out so the seams don't rub. These undies are cotton so there are some limitations, but for most conditions they feel great.

As for the sheepskin - I've been experimenting with a scrap of shearling sheepskin and it works well so far. It cuts down on "hot spots" and feels good after a long ride - 200 to 400 miles. Maybe I've just had a couple good days. The wool helps with circulation to my arse and the inside of my thighs where some of the material hangs down.

OK - here is what I don't know. Will the dark color bleed out in the rain or should I just bag it up before it gets wet? No problem yet with perspiration and any color bleeding onto black and dark gray nylon and no problems with color bleeding onto my leather pants.

I don't dare stand up on the pegs and stretch my legs because the sheepskin is not as secure as I would like - another strap is needed. And do I trim the edges or go "natural"?

Anyway, the results are very promising and my scrap was given to my by a friend but it cost about $40. I added a nylon strap with the shoe repair guy.

So, does anyone use those beads as a seat bed?

• Member Contributer
but I'm thinking a pair of bike shorts would be nice, like some Nike or Cannondale jobs

I wear Cannondale padded underwear for the long rides and they make a huge difference for me! :biggrin: They're not biking shorts, they're cotton and meant to be worn under long cycling pants for downhill or cold weather biking. Sure they are kind of expensive, but they're still a lot cheaper than a custom saddle.

Good luck!

Archived