Time For The Upgrades

JES_VFR

Question

As many of you know, I crashed the VFR on Saturday.

the exact damage has not been measured yet, but it looks like the forks will need tubes.

Since the shop will be taking them apart, I want to upgrade them as much as I can while they are getting done.

I remember something about using cbr f3 internals, heavier springs and gold valves, on my year VFR (sorry its a 2001 VFR800), but I'm can't seem to find a writeup of the mods with the search functions.

My big questions are:

1. Is that still the best upgrade that can be done on the 5th gen forks short of totally replacing them with USD units.

2. can anyone point me to a good thread on the mod.

3. Are there any alternative sources for the internals that might make the modifications go easier (like someone suggested using parts from the VTEC forks instead).

I'm not really at my best right now, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

10 answers to this question

You can always do Traxxion AK-20 cartridges with rebound adjustable caps. Yes, the price is about $1150, but they are basically a drop in kit. I ended up getting mine from VFRMonkey when he upgraded his to RC-51 forks. They work very well.

Can't use VTEC stuff because they are 43mm forks Vs your 41mm units.

You COULD transplant an entire VTEC front end on, if you could find one. You'd need the triples as well.

But if you're going THAT far, you might as well go USD, get the CAD file from Cassandtim for his lovely custom triples:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...c=41723&hl=

Let me clarify this guy's. I'm not putting in a vtec front fork. I'm going to go with some 1k+ aftermarket kit.

I'm looking for a small upgrade to the front forks, that uses cbr 600 parts and new springs.

I sort of remember reading about it here, but I can't find with the search tool.

This might be because I'm still on meds from the crash, or it could just be I'm stupid right now.

I seem to remember it had something to with fitting the cbr's cartiridge and caps to the VFR tubes.

correct me if I'm wrong, Please

• Member Contributer
Let me clarify this guy's. I'm not putting in a vtec front fork. I'm going to go with some 1k+ aftermarket kit.

I'm looking for a small upgrade to the front forks, that uses cbr 600 parts and new springs.

I sort of remember reading about it here, but I can't find with the search tool.

This might be because I'm still on meds from the crash, or it could just be I'm stupid right now.

I seem to remember it had something to with fitting the cbr's cartiridge and caps to the VFR tubes.

correct me if I'm wrong, Please

Yes, CBR600F3 internals in to the VFR forks with the F3 caps. Will give you some damping adjustment. Also throw in a set of gold valves and Race Tech springs and you're set. Don't ask me for details, it's been about 4 years since I did it and I've slept a few times since then.. :comp13: :rolleyes:

BTW, short of a transplant of other forks it probably is the best you can do. You'll probably need to try eBay for the F3 forks or any other place with used parts.

Edit: ah, here's the thread. http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9592

Thanks, that was info I just could not find.

I hate being on these meds right now.

By the time the meds take away some of the pain from the ribs, I just want to sleep all the time.

Well, you did say this:

3. Are there any alternative sources for the internals that might make the modifications go easier (like someone suggested using parts from the VTEC forks instead).

Which is why I mentioned that VTEC stuff wouldn't fit UNLESS you transplant the entire fork ass'y.

Otherwise, do as VFRcap'n suggested.

Heal fast!

• Member Contributer

I have a set of slightly bent F3 forks sitting in my garage. Was going to put them on my '99 VFR but I ended up just sending the stock forks to aftershocks to get resprung, rebuilt, and revalved.

• Member Contributer

Hi,

I assume you mean "not" going to a 1k + aftermarket kit?

MD

BTW - I have the Traxxion product and it is excellent.

Okay, Let's see if I can get this right before the meds kick in.

No, I'm not doing a swap to the vtec forks. And the Vtec pieces don't fit my fork, got that.

There is no plan to do some expensive aftermarket kit, 'cause I don't have that much money.

This is where I am right now.

I'd like to do the CBR f3 parts, but will have to see what the insurance does.

They are on the fence over whether to total the bike or not.

I can go either way right now, I just want to move on from this point.

If they total the bike then I can do whatever I choose and the F3 parts will be part of the rebuild.

If they fix it, then the parts are not on the list and I might not be able to wiggle them into the work.

Archived