Battery Just....dead....nice

Tightwad

So I got geared up to leave this morning, turned the key and had nothing....not even the clock would work. What a pisser. Put the trickle charger on it, left it all day, came home expecting some love.....no love. The only indication I have had of a problem is that my battery has been sitting at 12.1-12.2 volts when not running, and dropping to 10.4 ish range when starting. Never a hiccup, never an indication it wouldn't just fire up and fufill my motorcycle needs....just dead.

Time to source a battery I guess. I though mine was OEM (2002) but it appears to be a "Bike Bandit" battery, which I don't believe was stock. I really didn't need this expense after just having a baby, and all the assorted medical bills that come with that....never mind the cost of diapers! Looks like I am stuck driving the least fuel effecient vehicle I can find (1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo)......and best of all it doesn't have AC! This is exceptionally nice this time of year in DFW....106 it was yesterday, with 210% humidity.

Just wanted to vent, and possibly glean clues of the best battery deals.

Went to look at mine again. IT is a Bike Master, BTZ12S. Not an AGM battery I don't think....they talk about filling it and sealing the top. Seems to be on the lower end of the price spectrum as well. May fit the family budget, but I would prefer a longer life battery if this one didn't last more than a couple years.

Sorry to hear about the dead battery. I just replaced my OEM with a Yuasa YTZ14S, a slight upgrade over the stock 12S model. Paid $132 w/free shipping from www.chaparral-racing.com. The OEM replacement YTZ12S is $5 cheaper. Check 'em out.

You sure your voltmeter is working? :beer: Sorry....couldn't resist.

I went with a YTZ14S for mine.

That wasn't very nice.....voltmeter was fine before, it was the dodgy soldering of the installer....wait, that isn't any better....it was a fluke (that is a DVM pun)

Battery is on the (more) serious charger right now....and off the bike which may have some sort of drain.....thats the only way I can explain going from "just fine" to totally drained of all but a surface charge. Morning will tell I guess....I need a load tester.

• Member Contributer
You sure your voltmeter is working? :beer: Sorry....couldn't resist.

That wasn't very nice.....voltmeter was fine before, it was the dodgy soldering of the installer....wait, that isn't any better....it was a fluke (that is a DVM pun)

Battery is on the (more) serious charger right now....and off the bike which may have some sort of drain.....thats the only way I can explain going from "just fine" to totally drained of all but a surface charge. Morning will tell I guess....I need a load tester.

If we lived closer I'd offer up my load tester and I wouldn't know anything about dodgy solering either.....did 1400 miles on a trip with no speedometer. :goofy:

You sure your voltmeter is working? :fing02: Sorry....couldn't resist.

If we lived closer I'd offer up my load tester and I wouldn't know anything about dodgy solering either.....did 1400 miles on a trip with no speedometer. :goofy:

Charge the battery all night at 6 amps, it had 16 volts on it with the DVOM, but wouldn't even power up the neutral light when I turned on the key....down to <3 volts and was dropping again. I think I have a busted plate inside, and it is only holding a charge in the acid itself.

Apexbattery.com looks like the winner!

Apexbattery.com has the ytz12s for $83 and the ytz14s for $94. Free shipping.

Actually I just looked and it isn't a Yuasa battery....

The Yuasa YTZ12S Motorcycle Battery cross-references to the following:

Westco 12V12A-BS Battery

Manufacturer Westco

Model Westco 12V12A-BS Battery

Weight 7

Volts 12

Amp-Hour 10

CCA 200

Length 6

Width 3.4375

Height 4.1875

Terminals Box Style Top And Front Mount

Warranty 1 Year

Chemistry SLA

Polarity |+ -|

Time to Ship 1-2 days

These sealed batteries are built to perform. Features like Absorbed Glass Mat technology showcase a completely sealed and maintenance-free battery that provides the power needed for motorcrafts.

You are replacing the Yuasa battery with a different brand.

• Member Contributer

My battery died for the second time in stop & go traffic with high beams on about a month ago. I went to the stealer and got a replacement. Upgraded the wiring with the VFRness and volt meter (It works great, thank you). The bike seems to be running ok now although the voltage seems to degrade if I have the highbeams on in stop and go traffic. Anyway, I charged the old battery and it seems to be ok. I checked it last weekend and it was @ 12.8 or 12.9 volts and it has been sitting for three weeks without a charge. I believe the battery is only a year or two old. Its a YTZ12S. Its yours if you want it. Just pay the postage. Just PM me where to send it.

Randy

My battery died for the second time in stop & go traffic with high beams on about a month ago. I went to the stealer and got a replacement. Upgraded the wiring with the VFRness and volt meter (It works great, thank you). The bike seems to be running ok now although the voltage seems to degrade if I have the highbeams on in stop and go traffic. Anyway, I charged the old battery and it seems to be ok. I checked it last weekend and it was @ 12.8 or 12.9 volts and it has been sitting for three weeks without a charge. I believe the battery is only a year or two old. Its a YTZ12S. Its yours if you want it. Just pay the postage. Just PM me where to send it.

Randy

Of course I see this 3 hours after I sprung for a new battery! Thanks for the offer anyway.

I went to BatteriesPlus www.batteriesplus.com and they had good prices on AGM batteries. $85 for the YTZ12S replacement, $90 for the YTZ14S replacement. They also have a XTA12A-BS which was only $69 and was the same size, just lower CCA and AH rating. I was undecided about which to purchase, but as they have a local store I went there over my lunch break. I was 90% certain I would get the XTA version, with 10% towards the 14s. Their batteries are store-brand batteries, so I knew I wasn't getting a Yuasa brand at that price.

Upon looking at the 3 choices, and seeing they are indeed the same size, I noticed that the 12S was a Genuine Yuasa battery. Turns out their supplier substituted the Yuasa for their generic battery, at no additional cost to them. Now I really had a tough decision. I ended up buying the name brand for $85, minus $5 for a coupon I had from their site. With the +$5 for the core charge I walked out at $95 for an exact replacement Yuasa.

I highly recommend Batteries Plus, and will do future shopping there for sure. Battery has a 1 year free replacement warranty, which because I have I will not need. Now I just hope this is my ONLY problem......

Specs for those who may want to know for the future(all are same phsyical size and layout):

XTA12A-BS = 10AH, 175CCA

XTAZ14s = 11AH, 225CCA

XTAZ12S = 11AH, 205CCA

• Member Contributer

Randy

Of course I see this 3 hours after I sprung for a new battery! Thanks for the offer anyway.

I went to BatteriesPlus www.batteriesplus.com and they had good prices on AGM batteries. $85 for the YTZ12S replacement, $90 for the YTZ14S replacement. They also have a XTA12A-BS which was only $69 and was the same size, just lower CCA and AH rating. I was undecided about which to purchase, but as they have a local store I went there over my lunch break. I was 90% certain I would get the XTA version, with 10% towards the 14s. Their batteries are store-brand batteries, so I knew I wasn't getting a Yuasa brand at that price.

Upon looking at the 3 choices, and seeing they are indeed the same size, I noticed that the 12S was a Genuine Yuasa battery. Turns out their supplier substituted the Yuasa for their generic battery, at no additional cost to them. Now I really had a tough decision. I ended up buying the name brand for $85, minus $5 for a coupon I had from their site. With the +$5 for the core charge I walked out at $95 for an exact replacement Yuasa.

I highly recommend Batteries Plus, and will do future shopping there for sure. Battery has a 1 year free replacement warranty, which because I have I will not need. Now I just hope this is my ONLY problem......

Specs for those who may want to know for the future(all are same phsyical size and layout):

XTA12A-BS = 10AH, 175CCA

XTAZ14s = 11AH, 225CCA

XTAZ12S = 11AH, 205CCA

Thats always the way. Anyway you got a new battery. I had to replace mine on a Saturday because I really needed it for Sunday and the Stealer charged me $150 including tax and the old battery was probably ok anyway.

• Member Contributer

I went the Batteries Plus route too. They have both the 12 and 14 series batteries in stock at their stores for about half of what the Yuasa's are. The OEM/Yuasa is a better battery Im sure, but the price of batteries has just gotten almost rediculous. And the Batteries Plus unit is an AGM type, like stock.

I had originally ordered a replacement Yuasa from motorcyclebatteriesusa.com like I had in the past, but this time they really dropped the ball bigtime. My order never showed, they never replied to any of my emails and a phone number was not available. Someone else on here had a similar issue. After waiting over a month, I needed something right away so I just went to the Batteries Plus option, which ended up working great so far.

I bought a battery from Advance Auto for mine which came with a one year warranty as well. One year and 8 days later it failed. :blush:

This time I went back to a Yuasa. Hopefully it will last 5 years like the original one did.

I bought a battery from Advance Auto for mine which came with a one year warranty as well. One year and 8 days later it failed. :unsure:

This time I went back to a Yuasa. Hopefully it will last 5 years like the original one did.

Was the battey that failed the normal "add acid" type, or was it AGM?

From what i have learned, Lead Acid batteries take better to slight overcharging, where AGM have a harder time with it. AGM batteries do better with vibrations and such.

I bought a battery from Advance Auto for mine which came with a one year warranty as well. One year and 8 days later it failed. :idea3:

Was the battey that failed the normal "add acid" type, or was it AGM?

From what i have learned, Lead Acid batteries take better to slight overcharging, where AGM have a harder time with it. AGM batteries do better with vibrations and such.

Both the Advance Auto and Yuasa battery I had to add the acid. Not sure if that is normal, but I think it has been that way with every battery I've ever bought in the past 20 years. The only difference is the old ones used to have a screw on top over each cell. The new ones have the piece of plastic you press on and can never take it off again.

Archived