Oem Hard Bags; Looks And Where To Buy

Guest rwbvfr

Guest rwbvfr

I am tired tank bags. I am considering buying the Honda hard Bags for the lockable security. I also would like to use my bike more as a daily vehicle (my truck gets 9-10mpg in town). I would like to see some picks of the bags on a 07 RWB. Do they effect the ride or getting on the bike? I found an online site with a as shipped price of $800...sound like a good buy?

http://www.rickroushaccessories.com/store/...roducts_id/8897

• Member Contributer
I am tired tank bags. I am considering buying the Honda hard Bags for the lockable security. I also would like to use my bike more as a daily vehicle (my truck gets 9-10mpg in town). I would like to see some picks of the bags on a 07 RWB. Do they effect the ride or getting on the bike? I found an online site with a as shipped price of $800...sound like a good buy?

I patiently watched eBay for a few weeks and ended up getting a set for $450 shipped.

• Member Contributer

I email Stephanie at this site this week, and she check for me to verify availability of the Honda OEM hard bags in Blue to match my RWB and she claimed Honda does have them in the system available to ship and they come with all of the mounting hardware in 1 complete matching package.

You can find the OEM bags on occasion on eBay or at David Silver Spares, but they are often either slightly damaged (blems), used and often missing the necessary hardware, and in my case never in Blue to match my RWB.

I would love to get a set, but its a toss-up between: Hard Bags, GPS (550) or LV / Staintunes. :goofy:

Where do ya live? If it is California and you commute daily, don't use the bags. The reason, they make the bike very wide and lane splitting can of course still be done, it just is a bit harder. Other than that they are well made, fit well and I enjoy mine on my tours and they have almost no effect on the bike.

• Member Contributer

Don't bother with the side bags. They don't hold that much and make a wide profile. Get the topbox. Yes, it looks pretty ridiculous but it is without question the most functional of the OEM bags. It provides a pillion backrest and can fit two full size helmets +. I ended up selling my side cases and only using the top case. Have not regretted it once. Oh, and despite what some people say...I do not even notice a difference when it's back there.

• 2 years later...

I have the 07 RWB and bought these bags from this company along with the liners they are an exact match all hardware included bolted on just fine..love em!!!! so boat as u 99 gmc yukon 12.5 mpg's.

• Member Contributer

I've got an 07 RWB also and went with the OEM bags. I love them. Now they're on 95% of the time. That sounds like a good deal, but maybe check out www.accessories4bikes.com. I got mine there for a good price. It can't hurt to shop around a little.

Here's a couple of pics for you.

4470348322_6b5eb33ce7.jpg

4771427405_998b4d953c.jpg

5290359729_01bc8d1256.jpg

Let me know if you want any more pictures, like a specific side or angle or something. Like I said, I love my bags and leave them on all the time, for commuting and for riding with the wife. They're plenty big enough, so that you can fit a full size helmet in each one. You can't with the new VFR1200. And I don't notice any difference in handling. You may notice them getting on and off the bike, but once you're used to them being there, it's not a problem.

• Member Contributer

I've got an extra set repaired and painted flat black I've been meaning to post in the marketplace. For half of the $800 price they can be yours.

Now, I've never used a topcase, but I do love the Honda hardbags.

• Member Contributer

I put Givi hardbags on my '01. I bought the E41 monokey keyless side bags. (Givi makes the OEM bags for Honda). The set is locked with one key for both bags. The keyless feature mean there is a smaller access port that is locked with a three number rotating combination that the owner customizes. It allows one to put a jacket, smaller items, etc without dropping the hinged half of the bag. Here is a link: http://giviusa.com/Side-hardbags/Monokey-Lateral/E41-KEYLESS.

They hold 41 liter each, room for a full faced helmet and more in each. I have lived out of these for five weeks on a motel and camping trip. And a 12 day camping only trip. I love them. They are black and with silver accents so look, to me, good on any bike. They do stick out prominently and could make lane splitting problematic. They cut my gas mileage from low 50's to mid 40's unless I ride less than 75mph. Seems 5000 rpm is optimal for gas mileage. They also make the bike more sensitive to wind. And they have mounting brackets and hardware for 5th gen machines. I believe the whole package was about $1200. I seldom take them off and can store my helmet in one and my Aerostich two-piece Roadcrafter in the other under lock and key. They are a snap to dismount - unlock, push a button and they are off. Removing the mounting hardware is more involved; I have never removed them. Without the bags on the mounts do spoil the sleek styling of our machines.

Hope this proves helpful.

Terry Gale

I have gotten a lot of use out my Honda hard bags and have found them to be the best solution to my riding needs. I have done several 10 day touring trips, if you fill these babies up you are taking too much. I have plenty of room and need no other luggage with them. Each will hold a full face helmet and is easier to use than the crappy helmet lock under the seat. They keep weight down low and are mostly within the fairing air bubble so that I find they have no effect on riding, I have had them within a couple of inches of the ground cornering and up to 140 mph indicated with no ill effects. Pegs will drag before the bags. Mine have been completely water proof in hours of heavy rain. When hoteling they come off in 3 seconds and easy to carry to your room. I put my hotel stuff in one bag and leave the other bag with riding stuff on the bike so I can easily carry one bag and helmet to the room with one trip. As far as width they are only 1" wider than the mirrors. I give them a 5 star review and would recommend to a friend.

• Member Contributer

if you fill these babies up you are taking too much.

I lived out of my bike for a 4 week camping/couch/motel trip. I needed the side cases, the top box, and the tank bag.

I love them all, but I think the top box is the most functional. I have the Kanadian Ken solo top box mount only though and getting on and off is a bit of a challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

As seen in other posts in classifieds, I too am searching for side bags for my 07 RWB. I want the stockers so paint will match up if possible. If I find a different color for the right price I'll pay to paint. That's off topic though...

I always read they'll fit a full face helmet, but I know some side bags won't fit "all" full face helmets. Can anyone tell me if the stock Honda ones fit a Shoei XL full face helmet?

Will they fit a 15" laptop in a laptop case? (I want them to secure the helmet while I'm in work and I need to carry my laptop back and forth also.)

Will the mounting brackets work if you have a competition werkes fender eliminator? I think I read somewhere that the side bag brackets utilize part of the rear fender for mounting.?.

• Member Contributer

As seen in other posts in classifieds, I too am searching for side bags for my 07 RWB. I want the stockers so paint will match up if possible. If I find a different color for the right price I'll pay to paint. That's off topic though...

I always read they'll fit a full face helmet, but I know some side bags won't fit "all" full face helmets. Can anyone tell me if the stock Honda ones fit a Shoei XL full face helmet?

Will they fit a 15" laptop in a laptop case? (I want them to secure the helmet while I'm in work and I need to carry my laptop back and forth also.)

Will the mounting brackets work if you have a competition werkes fender eliminator? I think I read somewhere that the side bag brackets utilize part of the rear fender for mounting.?.

I believe Ron Ayers has the hard bags for the RWB. Click on "Factory EOM Accessories" and then click through the options and when you arrive at the "Sportbike/Standard" menu, scroll to the bottom. They're $920. There may be some other sources. There are some on ebay but I don't believe for a RWB. On the helmet, I have an Arai XL and the answer is yes it will fit, but it's tight. A Shoei may well have a different profile that would be no problem. As it is, mine's very close so it wouldn't take much to be a good fit. I have to reef on the case lid just a bit to get it to close. I don't want to crack the hinges, so I don't use it for storing the helmet. My laptop is a 15.6" screen and the case measures 17 inches diagonally. It will not lay flat in the case, but will fit if it's wedged in to the case at an angle. Personally, I wouldn't carry my laptop that way. The interference comes where the bag angles down at the back. If it were square like a Givi bag it would be no problem. If I were me, I would use the top case rather than the side bags to carry a laptop this size. The topcase would be more amenable to storing the helmet as well.

• Member Contributer

I can't vouch for an XL helmet, but my Large Arai fits with no problem.

Can't help you with the laptop. I've never carried one on the bike.

As mentioned in my earlier post, I found the best deal on the blue bags for the 07 RWB at accessories4bikes.com, but that was about a year ago.

I pulled up accessories4 bikes and the deal is still good. However, from all the posts I've read it sounds like the side cases won't help me and the top case is exactly what I need. Another consideration is I park the bike in my garage in front of my tahoe and it wouldn't fit with side cases, but it would with the top case. Of course I could remove the side cases each time, but the top case wouldn't require that.

However, I don't like the way the top case looks on the bike. I guess I need to carry my helmet in and just get a laptop backpack. This might be wise considering I could end up selling the bike anyway. I'm very indecisive right now...

• Member Contributer

As seen in other posts in classifieds, I too am searching for side bags for my 07 RWB. I want the stockers so paint will match up if possible. If I find a different color for the right price I'll pay to paint.

You can also use the 2006 white bags and they should match up with the white part of the bike. A member just posted pics of his RWB with these and they looked pretty sharp, but a little more "police-bike" than I would want personally. Good luck.

• Member Contributer

This is the only part I can respond to. I have the factory cases on my 2006. I can fit my old, clunker Dell Latitude (D510) in there without problems--I think it's a 15-inch model (screen is a little less than 15 on the diagonal, but the computer is more than 16). It won't, however, fit in the Dell-supplied laptop briefcase, which is huge. I have a neoprene cover that fits the computer snugly and seems to protect it well. There's plenty of room to toss in the mouse, power brick, flash drive, etc. in a separate small bag.

• Member Contributer

OEM hard side cases will fit every L helmet I've tried. I don't have that specific helmet, so I can't comment.

They will fit a 15" laptop in a slimbag, but not in a large laptop bag. I have a huge padded laptop case, so I just end up strapping this to the passenger seat with an elastic cargo net. One bonus is the mounts for the sidecases also give you plenty of places to strap the hooks to for a cargo net or soft tailbag.

I pulled up accessories4 bikes and the deal is still good. However, from all the posts I've read it sounds like the side cases won't help me and the top case is exactly what I need. Another consideration is I park the bike in my garage in front of my tahoe and it wouldn't fit with side cases, but it would with the top case. Of course I could remove the side cases each time, but the top case wouldn't require that.

However, I don't like the way the top case looks on the bike. I guess I need to carry my helmet in and just get a laptop backpack. This might be wise considering I could end up selling the bike anyway. I'm very indecisive right now...

Do these bags come with the liner, bracket and all hardware needed to mount?

• Member Contributer

Do these bags come with the liner, bracket and all hardware needed to mount?

Brand new OEM hard bags come with the brackets and all the hardware to mount them to the bike. The liners are an extra accessory to buy.

• Member Contributer

I have a Medium Shoei TZR and it just fits. I wouldn't buy the bags until you've checked to see if your helmet fits.

A laptop will fit, as long as you can angle it inside, which means it's hard to fit other things in there at the same time.

You need a fender bracket for mounting. Others will say otherwise, but I'm a bit finicky about that kind of thing and I think the bracket is necessary.

I agree with the poster that said the top case is the most functional. If you are chosing between side bags and topcase, I would go with the topcase first. Much more practical IMHO.

---David

• Member Contributer

You need a fender bracket for mounting. Others will say otherwise, but I'm a bit finicky about that kind of thing and I think the bracket is necessary.

---David

Actually you need the slightly longer fender bracket that comes with the mounting hardware. Any new bags will have it included. Or you'll need to fabricate a bracket of your own. But, a bracket is absolutely necessary.

My Shoei TZR medium fits easily in the side bags. My other Shoei (1100) medium is a tight fit, and get squeezed slightly as you close the lid. Kind of pissed me off actually. I also have the top box, and as many have mentioned, it is more practical, lets you split lanes better, has LESS effect on handling, helps the passenger a lot, is absolutely weather proof, and the list goes on. On the bad side, it looks like crap while on the bike (its HUGE!), and the mounting bracket ruins the lines even more than the side brackets (IMHO).

I actually took off the top box bracket, but am hesitant to sell off the stuff yet. maybe just slap it on on my next Great Ride. Unlike the side brackets, the top box bracket comes off pretty quick.

Brian

Archived