Need Help Changing Fork Oil In A 00'... Also A Clunk In The Front Suspension...

Guest mikeym

Guest mikeym

Hey guys,

I was told by my p/o that the fork oil needed to be changed in the legs. That was a few months since I bought the bike... now a few months later, I began thinking about changing the oil, but I don't know where to start.

Is there a wiki about this for our particular bikes?

Do we absolutely have to remove the fork legs?

What oil?

etc...

Sorry its so noobish, but it should be done. Also there is a clunk in my front suspension when I come to a stop fast. I worry its my steering head bearings, but there aren't any other effects that would lead me to believe that. The fork oil should be changed, so I'm hoping that makes a difference.

If anyone can help in anyway that would be great!

Mike

Hey guys,

I was told by my p/o that the fork oil needed to be changed in the legs. That was a few months since I bought the bike... now a few months later, I began thinking about changing the oil, but I don't know where to start.

Is there a wiki about this for our particular bikes?

Do we absolutely have to remove the fork legs?

What oil?

etc...

Sorry its so noobish, but it should be done. Also there is a clunk in my front suspension when I come to a stop fast. I worry its my steering head bearings, but there aren't any other effects that would lead me to believe that. The fork oil should be changed, so I'm hoping that makes a difference.

If anyone can help in anyway that would be great!

Mike

clunk sounds like bearing. could just be loose. lift the front and pull/push on the forks to see if you can feel it.

do a search in the maintenance or suspension section...HS did a nice right up on changing oil on 5th gen.

do a search in the maintenance or suspension section...HS did a nice right up on changing oil on 5th gen.

:blush:

And yes, you definitely need to pull the forks!! You should change not just your oil, but at minimum also your oil seals & dust wipers(they come in a kit OEM, 1 seal, 1 wiper), and also the fork tube and slider bushings. Two more parts per leg. You will need a seal driver to pull this off.

hmm... well i did a search and didn't find much...

HS is the guys sn?

The fork seals look good, I don't have the time right now to pull the legs... I was really hoping I could pull the caps and just replace the oil, I guess thats a no go ay?

All the info sounds great SEBSPEED, but it sounds like gibberish to me... sad.gif

I have a chiltons manual but it doesn't look like it helps much...

~mikeym

I think you can download the 5th gen Honda manual here, at the top of the page is a downloads link.

You need to pull the forks. You won't get all the crud out by trying to suck the old stuff out, nevermind the fact that a lot of the finer crap will be inside the cartridges.

Where are you located again? Maybe there's someone more knowledgeable in the area that you can bribe with beer to help you? :blush:

• Member Contributer

:blush: You will need to get the service manual, either via download from here or from ebay, dealership, somewhere. Yes, clunk in front end is most likely steering bearings, but also make sure everything else is tight. To properly torque the upper bearing race you need a) the special honda wrench or b) about a 34mm socket and a grinder to make four "points" that will grab the upper race to turn it (you can see why this is needed looking at it from the side or by pulling off the upper triple clamp).

None of these processes are difficult, but having the manual handy for picture and spec info is invaluable.

Good luck... good learning experience smile.gif

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...p;showarticle=9 "HispanicSlammer", site admin

• Member Contributer

Sounds like steering head bearings as far as the clunk is concerned. Don't use OEM bearing go with the tapered ALL BALLS Bearings. Also dont torque the All Balls to factory spec but 5 ft/lbs should suffice. Good luck and keep us informed of your progress :fing02:

I have a Y2K VFR...

I will say that it is a fairly simple job to replace the steering head bearings.

I did the tappered roller bearings.

Here is the trick that I did mainly because I hate doing forks.

(The last forks I did were Havagans '02 VFR before it went to Cuba.)

Take the fork off and find a private MC shop, they will usually rebuild forks for 100.00.

Not knowing where you are at... I know Tom at R.T.M. will have his guys do it for 100.00.

While the forks are being rebuilt go home and do the bearings. They need to be pressed in. You can use a peice of PVC the size of the inner bearing race to hammer it on the shaft.

Once the bearing are done go get your forks, they should be ready.

Rebuilding forks, Sucks!

I rather get shot with a nail gun.

• Forum CEO

Then again, how are you going to learn if you never try it?

My first time, I had a friend from the dealership come by and we did it together. I was surprised by how easy it was, and how I was foolishly afraid of doing it on my own... many times later, it doesn't bother me at all.

I still hate electricks though...

Archived