Thinking About Going Naked

Guest 90RedVFR750

Question

Guest 90RedVFR750

I'm really thinking about taking the fairing off my bike and transforming it into a streetfighter. I feel like it will modernize it as well as cut some weight. Has anyone done this and what would I need to relocate...coolant overflow??? What about guages. I guess I can relocate the speedo...Who knows just a thought for now.

gallery_13065_3855_1086245.jpg

24 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

To be honest that shorty exhaust makes it look modern as is...I vote leave as is :musik20:

PS we should hook up for a ride sometime since I am minutes away from Harrisburg.

To be honest that shorty exhaust makes it look modern as is...I vote leave as is :musik20:

PS we should hook up for a ride sometime since I am minutes away from Harrisburg.

Yeah definitely. I ride with about 5 guys here in Lebanon. PM me and we can exchange numbers. Tomorrow and Saturday are looking real good.

• Member Contributer
maybe the the two of you guys should hook up? :musik20:

are you always this bad at humor or just having an off day..... :cool:

BTW, is that an exhaust tip for a Rice car? Does it have any baffling capabilities whatsoever?

And most importantly, can you post a sound/vid clip on EweTube? :musik20:

Yeah it is an exhaust tip. It came that way when I bought it. Its sounds like a v8 on roids...I'll try to put up a sound clip....never did that before.

• Member Contributer

I kinda liked how my 93 was starting to look after I took most of the plastics off to do some servicing. It's definitely not the cleanest look for those generations, but it can be made to look nice.

I will give you one warning though. When I started to think about getting a naked bike, I decided to sell my 93 in order to get my Superchicken. Good luck!

SNC13753.jpg

SNC14208.jpg

I kinda liked how my 93 was starting to look after I took most of the plastics off to do some servicing. It's definitely not the cleanest look for those generations,

SNC13753.jpg

I agree, The VFR engine/exhaust sytem does not look that nice uncovered. The exhaust system headers looks specially ugly as they come out of the front two cylinders and just sort of hangs out there with the most unsexy looking bends you might see on a motorcycle exhaust pipe. Please keep her clothes on!

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

I vote leave it as is too. How about a RC30 body kit?

Would be nice to go for a ride out there. I lived in Lebanon for a short time many eons ago..

I was really looking to do this ( stripped VFR - an ' upgraded' version of my good 'ole NT 650 Hawk)) but after study - I think it would take a major, all winter type effort -

just the wiring harness going to instr. panel, for example. how to clean that up, would be near impossible for me, I suspect. no electronics skill.

and the engine itself has the ' rough casting look' not finished exterior . . .

• Member Contributer

I think the short can, black wheels and fender kit already give it an updated look. But then again, motorcycling has always been about self expression, go with your gut :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Going naked is great......oh yeah, on bikes too.............. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

LIKE THIS... gallery_13129_3657_861121.jpg

Picture 016.jpg

OR THIS.....

gallery_13129_3657_783798.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

It's an '86 700 it's a ball to ride and it looks super cool.

I think this is the first I have ever heard of someone pulling their fairings in perfect shape to make a streetfighter.

To me "streetfighter" = "didn't have the money to fix the plastic after I dropped it"

You could probably sell the fairing and make enough to pay for all the extra work its going to take to make the bike look decent. Just a thought, but I've been staring at my bike unfaired for several months now and thinking about what it would take to make it nbaked (which I'm NOT planning on doing).

Wiring would have to be cleaned a quite a lot, and I would go to an electronic dash at that point because the whole front stay is hideous. Aftermarket headers (2 Bros) can look quite nice naked, especially if polished out. Engine could also be detailed out but it would be a lot of work. The only area that looks really wrong on a naked 3rd gen is how the frame "ducts" end abruptly once you pull off the rear plastics. For that, I would look at grafting in a completely subframe from another bike.

IMHO, there are much better bikes for naked conversion than the VFR. The V4 just looks bulky to me once exposed and the bike will still be pretty heavy even stripped down.

Its all about what you want..but my 2 cent says its an awsome looking bike now Id leave like it is.....I own a 2000 and was drooloing over your 90!!!!!! Buy a naked, dont hack a great looking bike.......BUT ITS YOURS!!!!! Good luck if you decide to scaple away...oh and post pics!!!!!!

I think about going naked ... a lot ...

I suggest visiting Black's Beach in San Diego. Nudity is quite common there.

Its kinda funny...kinda not. I took the bike on a long trip for the weekend and ended up laying it down with my cousin on the back. It was at a stop up hill and off camber and either he shifted his weight or I just lost my footing but over we went in the gravel. I'll get a picture here soon but its really scratched on the left side. Damn.

Some thoughts: Most folks go street-fighter cause they don't want to pay for plastics after a crash.

Don't think you'd save much weight.

I rode for a month with the lowers off while I was sorting out some problems, the side mounted radiators looked odd. And, as noted above, the exhaust is not meant for a show bike.

I think this is the first I have ever heard of someone pulling their fairings in perfect shape to make a streetfighter.

To me "streetfighter" = "didn't have the money to fix the plastic after I dropped it"

Agreed, A Full faired bike normally does not look good naked. Unless it was offered form the factory as naked or faired.(Suzuki SV650 and SV650S)

It takes alot of money to make a full faired bike look good and not like it was dropped with the owner being to cheap or lazy to replace panels.

Archived