Is This What A Broken Belt In A Tire Looks Like?

Guest klinquist

Guest klinquist

I hit a pothole a few weeks ago...

2447045879_fba5de73d1.jpg

Sent the wheel off for repair, it was unrepairable sad.gif.

There's no damage to the tire at the spot of impact, but check this out:

2510851973_e5ab143929.jpg

A bump on the bead and two "ridges" that follow it diagonally.

On the other side of the tire, two similar diagonal ridges:

2511683368_9f550d44a4.jpg

I'm guessing these are broken steel belts and the tire will need replaced. I'm getting close to needing a new rear anyway. Sounds like a good excuse to go from Z6s to Pilot Road 2s!

Yikes. That must have been some pothole. Sorry to hear about the lost wheel and tire. At least you didn't get pitched over tho! :lurk:

I hit a pothole a few weeks ago...

bead damage at spot of bent rim (2nd pic)

on those particular tires, those are reinforcement strands(3rd pic) , they come that way new , ttake alook at new ones and compare, but I'seen the same thing on brand new tires with z6 and stradas

I hit as bag of concrete at 45 mph, with a Ppower front 37 psi, no wheel damage and the upgraded suspension bottomed, but soaked it well without issue

and the z6 or strada front is a stouter tire, your suspenion is weak or tire pressure too low to be tackling that type stuff

and the z6 or strada front is a stouter tire, your suspenion is weak or tire pressure too low to be tackling that type stuff

It's a Z6 and I was running in the high 30s for pressure.. The back tire hit the hole too - compressed the suspension enough that the rear tire caught my license plate (on fender eliminator) and flipped it off... lost forever, I had to order a new one from the DMV. No damage to rear wheel/tire.

Good to know that they are reinforcement stands....I'll still probably toss it since the rear is getting so close to replacement (2k miles and only a few mm of tread in the center, suck!).

on those particular tires, those are reinforcement strands(3rd pic) , they come that way new , ttake alook at new ones and compare, but I'seen the same thing on brand new tires with z6 and stradas

I hit as bag of concrete at 45 mph, with a Ppower front 37 psi, no wheel damage and the upgraded suspension bottomed, but soaked it well without issue

I disagree. If that is what you think are normal reinforcing strands, shouldn't they go all around the inside of the tire instead of just localized (just by chance??) near the point of impact which the OP is I think telling us with these pics. Dang!, if that front wheel looks anything aother than normal, dump it and get a replacement and be safer for it! For Pete's sakes!!, just look how badly bent that wheel is! That tire was pinched in a very bad way to get that damage.

Beck

95 VFR

I think you should look at the new tires and then come back and post your result. There's like 2 or 3 points inside the tire that have those, from my experience with the z6's.

I didnt just make it up, have you actually looked or just disagreeing to disagree?

the 2nd pic with the bead damage, is where the tire and rim were bent, the 3rd pic is not the same spot

if that front wheel looks anything aother than normal, dump it and get a replacement and be safer for it!

My replacement new front wheel from Service Honda should be here tomorrow. Local dealer wanted $500. Service honda wanted $375 shipped. Unfortunately I couldn't find any on eBay.

Archived