Fuel Milage From Stock To Catless Headers

tinyminds

So I've been testing switching back and forth from stock and catless headers back and forth and came to the conclusion that Its not really effecting my fuel milage by using the catless headers. With fuel prices the way they are I decided to do some testing just to see it if would be worth using my stock headers and loosing low and mid range power.

Milages indicate when my E-Light comes on, not to empty. I can go about 40 miles once E-light comes on.

Stock Headers, K&N and PC3 (Cozye Map): Less low end and midrange power, better fuel milage on highway than catless headers, but worse fuel milage in twisties than catless headers because I'm cranking the throttle a lot more to feel the same power I was getting with less throttle on catless headers.

Highway Milage: 185

Twisties Milage: 165

Catless Headers, K&N and PC3 (Dynotuned Map): More low end and midrange power, top end power doesn't really feel different but dyno shows some differences. Highway milage worse than stock headers, but more low and midrange power makes power in and out of twisties more noticeable resulting in less throttle cranking.

Highway Milage: 175

Twisties Milage: 175

Just thought I would share my results for any that care.

• Member Contributer

Which have you decided to leave on after testing.........the catless I assume........... :biggrin:

So I've been testing switching back and forth from stock and catless headers back and forth and came to the conclusion that Its not really effecting my fuel milage by using the catless headers. With fuel prices the way they are I decided to do some testing just to see it if would be worth using my stock headers and loosing low and mid range power.

Milages indicate when my E-Light comes on, not to empty. I can go about 40 miles once E-light comes on.

Stock Headers, K&N and PC3 (Cozye Map): Less low end and midrange power, better fuel milage on highway than catless headers, but worse fuel milage in twisties than catless headers because I'm cranking the throttle a lot more to feel the same power I was getting with less throttle on catless headers.

Highway Milage: 185

Twisties Milage: 165

Catless Headers, K&N and PC3 (Dynotuned Map): More low end and midrange power, top end power doesn't really feel different but dyno shows some differences. Highway milage worse than stock headers, but more low and midrange power makes power in and out of twisties more noticeable resulting in less throttle cranking.

Highway Milage: 175

Twisties Milage: 175

Just thought I would share my results for any that care.

Have you or can you post the Dyno charts for each.. curious as to the actual differences..

• Member Contributer

Funny. I was just checking your map and Eric's this morning, and yours seems richer in most parts - even at higher RPMs. I have the catless header and Coyze's map. My bike runs extremely well and the fuel economy is great. I'm going to bring my bike to the Dyno Guy and run it with both maps to compare.

I'm most definitely going to give your mapping a fair shake, but I've got to say, Coyze's is really impressive - NOTE: I did increase the the amount if fuel at 6500 and 6720 at 2% and 5% throttle.

I'm keeping my eyes on this, got a set waiting to go on the bike. I'm itching to know if these really are worth the hype, I would love a little(ok, a lot!) more grunt on the bottom, and the decibel advantage!

I've been looking at these, and was going to ask some questions, so it's great that you did this write up.

Question? What's the difference in sound (both quality and decibels)?

Thanks

Roj

A word to save you all some bucks:

I just installed a set of '99 catless headers on my '02 6th Gen. You only have to change the main (front) pipe. The rear cylinder pipes between the 6th Gen and the 5th Gen are identical except the 6th gen are stainless and have chrome collars where you bolt them to the rear cylinder spigot. The 5th Gen rear pipes are plain steel and have flat black plated collars. Dimensionally the pipes are exactly the same. Same diameter, same length, same bend, same everything except color, material, and part numbers.

Installing the headers was a pure biatch. I don't know why, but the spigot opening on the new headers (where the rear cylinder pipes join up) was about 4 mm larger in diameter than the '02 headers. The special gaskets just fell in there and the clamps I ordered (brand new ones as were the gaskets) would come no where near fitting around the pipe. I finally found an inch long muffler adapter at Pep Boys to fill in the gap. These were genuine Honda parts orders from Ron Ayers and came in Honda boxes. It seemed like a manufacturing error on the pipe builders part.

I learned the hard way by ordering a complete 5th system when I installed my catless headers.

Got a tuning appt Friday to see what kind of difference they make with a BMC filter, modified airbox, Staintunes, and every single bit of emissions crap removed.

• Member Contributer
A word to save you all some bucks:

I just installed a set of '99 catless headers on my '02 6th Gen. You only have to change the main (front) pipe. The rear cylinder pipes between the 6th Gen and the 5th Gen are identical except the 6th gen are stainless and have chrome collars where you bolt them to the rear cylinder spigot. The 5th Gen rear pipes are plain steel and have flat black plated collars. Dimensionally the pipes are exactly the same. Same diameter, same length, same bend, same everything except color, material, and part numbers.

Installing the headers was a pure biatch. I don't know why, but the spigot opening on the new headers (where the rear cylinder pipes join up) was about 4 mm larger in diameter than the '02 headers. The special gaskets just fell in there and the clamps I ordered (brand new ones as were the gaskets) would come no where near fitting around the pipe. I finally found an inch long muffler adapter at Pep Boys to fill in the gap. These were genuine Honda parts orders from Ron Ayers and came in Honda boxes. It seemed like a manufacturing error on the pipe builders part.

I learned the hard way by ordering a complete 5th system when I installed my catless headers.

Got a tuning appt Friday to see what kind of difference they make with a BMC filter, modified airbox, Staintunes, and every single bit of emissions crap removed.

I think the inside diameter is different: 02 + is smaller by 1 or 2 mm.

• Member Contributer
Have you or can you post the Dyno charts for each.. curious as to the actual differences..

I posted mine on another thread, but here it is again.

gallery_6587_3796_8821.jpg

Dyno run results

04 ABS, Motad Catless, Remus Ti, K&N, PC III w/ Cozye's, O2 elim, Open airbox

Very happy with the change in torque response and VTEC is all but invisible except for power. Nice rumble, not too loud at all, barks at 10,000+.

The weight drop was increadible from stock, over 15lbs easy. Would say mileage is the same as before, but runs smoother.

Archived