Help! Stranded! Starts, But Won't Stay Running!

AParamedic

Hi there

I went out for a quick ride on my '02 with ABS. About 2 minutes from my destination, my motorcycle sputtered out and died. It was a warm day, I was in stop and go traffic and the fan was running at full tilt. I thought I just stalled it b/c it died just as I was starting from a traffic light, but I couldn't get it re-started. My battery has been weak and my dealer doesn't have the electrical recall parts back in yet, so I've been keeping my bike on a battery tender every night and I attributed my lack of re-start to a weak battery... So I pushed it a couple of blocks to a friend's house and re-charged the battery, but still the motorcycle won't start back up.

SYMPTOMS: The starter turns, the engine catches, but it dies right away. If I twist the throttle a little, it still dies.

THE FUNNY THING IS: If I hold the starter button in, the engine runs, but I only tried that for about 4-5 seconds total and then stopped for fear of damaging the starter. He's what I've checked so far:

1) All fuses - underseat and under both front quarter fairings - All fuses OK

2) Fuel pump - whines when I turn the key switch from IGN to ON

3) Voltage - battery was fully re-charged. I even hooked up a set of jumper cables to make sure that I was getting enough voltage. It turns over fine and the headlights are bright, but the engine still won't stay running

4) Neutral switch - I held the bike up, pulled the clutch in and retracted the kickstand - still no go.

I am deciding on whether to go rent a trailer or if there is anything else I can try to do. I'm on the sidewalk in the middle of a city, so my roadside troubleshooting options are slightly limited.

Any advice, help, or uplifting thoughts would be very deeply appreciated! I'd especially appreciate any additional trouble-shooting tips you might have to offer!

Thanks!

Check the green wires at the blue connector on the left side front upper fairing. Suspect your ground circuit might be melting....

Check the green wires at the blue connector on the left side front upper fairing. Suspect your ground circuit might be melting....

maybe the 30amp wire too? do you/did you hear any buzzing under your front fairing?

Any gas? Sounds like it's out of gas.

Hi everyone...

Thanks for the help so far... I did visually check the gas - I have 1/2 a tank.

I'll look at the wires that were mentioned.

30 amp main fuse is OK

No buzzing, but I was on a city street and it was loud...

• Member Contributer
Any gas? Sounds like it's out of gas.

Hi everyone...

Thanks for the help so far... I did visually check the gas - I have 1/2 a tank.

I'll look at the wires that were mentioned.

30 amp main fuse is OK

No buzzing, but I was on a city street and it was loud...

Where in Philly is it?

Sounds a lot like the ground wire problem. For a quick fix, pull the left side fairing, and locate the large blue connector. In one corner, you will see a green wire coming in and out of the connector. Cut it on both sides, and re-connect it(by-passing the connector). Should start right up.

Sounds a lot like the ground wire problem. For a quick fix, pull the left side fairing, and locate the large blue connector. In one corner, you will see a green wire coming in and out of the connector. Cut it on both sides, and re-connect it(by-passing the connector). Should start right up.

%201.gif

Thanks... So just to be clear, this blue connector is under the LEFT side fairing (turn-signal switch side opposite of the regulator-rectifier)? I'm asking b/c the bike is parked in the middle of a downtown sidewalk and I'll have to pull the fairing with a ton of pedestrian traffic around me.

Thanks again to everyone here at VFRD for all your help! This place is awesome!

• Member Contributer

I'll get the trailer and we'll go grab the bike.

Take it out of harms way.

Or call Sam at Kickstart (484) 576-6512 and he'll do the same. $$.

New battery isn't going to fix the issue. I have the exact same problem. As it is, I am probably going to try and do the ground wire fix on mine this weekend, just to get it to the dealer. She goes in for a complete wire harness and fuse block replacement on Wednesday. Completely devoid of bodywork, since from what I hear dealers can't seem to keep bodywork looking nice.

Later,

Jeff

Hi Everyone!

Thank you SO MUCH for all your help and offers of support. The bike is home safe & sound. It was the blue-connector ground wire that was the culprit. I am extremely grateful to all of you for your quick replies and ability to fix what Honda can't get right on their own.

Thanks again, you guys are the best!!!

• Member Contributer
New battery isn't going to fix the issue. I have the exact same problem. As it is, I am probably going to try and do the ground wire fix on mine this weekend, just to get it to the dealer. She goes in for a complete wire harness and fuse block replacement on Wednesday. Completely devoid of bodywork, since from what I hear dealers can't seem to keep bodywork looking nice.

Later,

Jeff

I trust my dealer but I still take off whatever bodywork I can. The way I look at it is less chance of it getting damaged and it also saves me some labor!

Archived