Update: Now How To Set Up The Shock?

Guest FLYONWALL9

Guest FLYONWALL9

I am trying to adjust my rear shock. The I cant seem to

get the rings on top of the spring broke free to adjust my

preload and sag. I have two spanners but the damn thing

seems to have been put on by Paul Bunyan. I've got about

6-8" of sag I gotta work out.

Suggestions on how to loosen up these rings?

Oh I have also tried a BFH and a drift :biggrin:

I have the same issue and was told I needed to remove the linkage to adjust. :biggrin: there has to be a better way.....

I just don't see how we would hold onto the thing if you did it this way. Heck

even in a big arse bench vise I don't see it happenin. I have even tried soaking

it down with some erl.

Is the bike on the center stand w/no weight on the rear wheel. It should be no problem to adjust it, just solid steady pull with the tool. :biggrin:

I suggest wearing gloves to protect your knuckles. :laugh:

Is the bike on the center stand w/no weight on the rear wheel. It should be no problem to adjust it, just solid steady pull with the tool. :fing02:

I suggest wearing gloves to protect your knuckles. :angry:

Bailey, I don't have a center stand but I can jack it up

and have someone hold the bike while I pull. I've tried

everything aside from a breaker bar while its on the

side stand and I just cant get the thing to move. I hate

to have to take again and to a shop so they can break

it free. :rolleyes: ...

Here is a pic of a 929 shock that has a similar adj ring. Its shown at the least amount of preload. Is yours already at the highest end? The VFR's are way undersrpung for "normal sized" guys in America. Either way your not gonna work out 6-8" of sag, the entire travel of the shock is only 4".

The spanner goes in the rectangular holes on the left side.

DSCN0442.jpg

Looks like the top ring is a lock ring. Loosen the top one then adjust the lower one. If they are in fact 2 seperate rings then trying to turn them both is almost impossible.

Looks like the top ring is a lock ring. Loosen the top one then adjust the lower one. If they are in fact 2 seperate rings then trying to turn them both is almost impossible.

I've got two spanners one to hold the bottom ring and one to loosen the

top ring. The problem is I cant get them to budge.

I have the same issue and was told I needed to remove the linkage to adjust. :rolleyes: there has to be a better way.....

I have even tried soaking

it down with some erl.

YES

Get it off the bike so you can really heave down good on those spanners while you have it on a vise. Working at them from different angles usually keeps you from getting a good shot at them with your 24 inch pythons(?) :rolleyes: . They should break free, there isnt that much thread holding them on to the shock body. I don't see too much corrosion on the shock, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Just don't get tempted into using a hammer and screwdriver on it. It just messes it up when people do that.

Beck

95 VFR

Try just to loosen off the top one after you've been for a long ride, as the unit should be warm and thus may help in the attempt, before the metal cools down and contracts... once you've lossened off the top one, have a go at the bottom one...

• Member Contributer

Try BFRHA, the advanced technique of BFH, on the retainer ring.

Good luck.

Mac

Ok I got the pench ring broken free so I changed the name of the

thread. Now my question is how fast do you want it to spring back

up? As it is now it will squat 1.5" or so measured at the axle. It

springs back really fast prolly more so than what you want.

So, where would that adjustment be made?

Ok I got the pench ring broken free so I changed the name of the

thread. Now my question is how fast do you want it to spring back

up? As it is now it will squat 1.5" or so measured at the axle. It

springs back really fast prolly more so than what you want.

So, where would that adjustment be made?

Dial in more rebound damping. I don't think anyone really measures actual rebound speed unless you have GP bike telemetry systems on board. It will have to be a "feel" sort of thing with some test rides, trial and error.......unless your shock's too worn out to provide any significant amount of rebound damping. Some shocks can be overhauled, but some can't. you need to find out if the Gixxer shock is a servicable unit first.

Beck

95 VFR

The bike is the NC30 and the shock is from a GSXR 750.

SHOCK003.jpg

you have to knock the top ring counter clockwise, usually takes a large punch and hammer, once the top ring is loose, you can just grap the spring and twist it, clockwise for stiffer, counter clockwise for softer, but yeh rear wheel needs to be off the ground and dont jack up on the swinarm or your defeating the purpose of jacking it up.

Your Sag should be 1"- 1 1/4". Do that first, then adjust the rebound & compression. Rebound should be as quick as you can stand it. You know its too much if it bucks you off the seat after hitting a big bump.

Archived