Tiforce (single) Exhaust On My Vtec

VFR800R

• Member Contributer

Hello everyone,

I figured I should share this since it was finished two months ago... anyway.

I was drawn to the VFR800 partially because of the dual underseat exhausts, but the engineer in me just can't live with 20+ pounds of weight hanging under the tail. I haven't really liked how any of the aftermarket systems looked, since none of them really follow the "kink" in the OEM exhaust (except the BOS), and I thought I could find a lighter solution. So, I trawled eBay and some sportbike forums and found this pretty small looking TiForce can (intended for the '06-'07 GSXR-600/750) and got it at a good price. Then it sat in my garage for the better part of a year, until I finally got off my arse and took the bike to a shop in Seattle (Auburn actually) that builds stainless steel headers for cars and pickups. I had them bend up a stainless pipe, and other than the massive fasteners and washers (which are starting to rust), they did a pretty good job.

The plan now is to replace the crappy bolts and washers, then bend up an aluminum hanger and get rid of the passenger peg brackets. There's an Ohlins shock coming in the mail, so the hanger will have to accomodate the remote preload adjuster. For the most part, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out; I think the pipe could be shortened a little bit, and I should buy a PCIII and have the fuel map fine-tuned (not that it feels like it needs it). I was surprised by the tone; it's more throaty at idle, but didn't add much to the volume at road speeds. Pretty much perfect!

I've been having evil thoughts of building a new tail, since it looks so cavernously empty without the cans, but we'll see about that. Also, I apologize for the crappy pictures; my cell phone isn't the greatest, and they were taken last minute before the bike was loaded onto a truck for my move from Seattle to San Diego (and I had that awful feeling I would never see it again). So, without further ado, here are the pictures:

gallery_10025_3789_42880.jpg

DSC00276.JPG

gallery_10025_3789_95489.jpg

DSC00277.JPG

gallery_10025_3789_210353.jpg

DSC00278.JPG

gallery_10025_3789_53151.jpg

DSC00279.JPG

Lacy

• Member Contributer

Exhaust threads do not exhist without sound clips.

It does look cool. Any chance of doing it in a high-mount?

• Member Contributer

Never saw that before!

Good on ya to have an idea and persue to completion.

In a world of Staintunes, Bos truly unique! :pissed:

Toyed with some ideas myself before going for the Akrapovic.....

HPIM4623.jpg

• Member Contributer

That pipe looks short enough to fit well in the stock locations. Get another and fab up a mid pipe or hack a stocker and it will look suh-weeet! Might give it an R1 kind of look too.

That pipe looks short enough to fit well in the stock locations. Get another and fab up a mid pipe or hack a stocker and it will look suh-weeet! Might give it an R1 kind of look too.

Yeah I agree. It looks kind of wrong with wide tail, heat shield, and no pipes. Otherwise it is very sweet and unique. :fing02:

I bet it would look sweet with two of these in the stock location. I bet it sounds killer.

• Member Contributer

Nice one.

Here's a bad picture of an FSD undertail. I'm currently running a 1 up straight pipe with baffles (not seen in pic). There's a ton of room under the tail now, as you mentioned. I mounted the Ohlins adjuster up in there so it's kinda hidden.

gallery_8502_3728_17397.jpg

I'm with the high mount crowd. It would look cooler in the stock position. Then you could stick the shock can on the other side. Then the swingarm would stand out as intended. Points earned for seeing a project through. Any idea how much weight you shaved?

• Member Contributer
I'm with the high mount crowd. It would look cooler in the stock position. Then you could stick the shock can on the other side. Then the swingarm would stand out as intended. Points earned for seeing a project through. Any idea how much weight you shaved?

By bathroom scale and paper napkin, I saved about 17 pounds. Now the diet must continue...

Trust me folks, I had the can mocked up in the stock location about half a dozen times. I didn't want to cover up that awesome looking charcoal 8-spoker, but it ended up being the less-compromised option. Part of the reason I got such a small can was so I could put it in the stock location and have it "tuck in" better than the OEM cans. It's also part of the reason I waited so long to get it fabbed up, because I couldn't make up my mind. But in the the end there were more negative issues with the high mount: 1) I didn't want to pay for a second can 2) I don't think two cans are needed, and 3) It looked funny with just one can under the right side of the tail.

Besides, I've always thought the tail could use some slimming down. The bike always seemed like it should be narrower (it's a V4 for crying out loud!). So this should be an excuse for some fiberglass work...

Lacy

pain when you need to change your rear tyre or simply remove the rear wheel. the main reason I like the vtec is the underseat exhaust but each to there own.

• Member Contributer

NOW I know what your exhaust reminded me of................................

HPIM5251.jpg

:fing02:

Archived