Zumo 550 Wire & Connector Schematics

Guest SOTY

Hi,

I'm looking to find the schematics for this puppy. Basically I want to confirm the wires and connectors that go into the Base and then on into the bottom contact points for the Zumo 550.

Basically, I want to get GatherM Remote switch and use it with my Zumo 550.

I don't see why this can't be done as basically, the hardware units are identical.

If it is possible to confirm the GatherM remote can be used with a regular Zumo 550 (with some modifications or not), I think that would help out a lot if our Zumo is mounted some distance

away from the left-side handlebars (like if it was tank mounted).

You know, the more time/distance you need to take your hand off the handlebars to zoom in/out or switch music on the Zumo, the more dangerous it is. So having the ability to use a remote

that is very closely mounted to the clutch would be great I think.

Anyone know where to find the schematics?

• Member Contributer
Hi,

I'm looking to find the schematics for this puppy. Basically I want to confirm the wires and connectors that go into the Base and then on into the bottom contact points for the Zumo 550.

Basically, I want to get GatherM Remote switch and use it with my Zumo 550.

I don't see why this can't be done as basically, the hardware units are identical.

If it is possible to confirm the GatherM remote can be used with a regular Zumo 550 (with some modifications or not), I think that would help out a lot if our Zumo is mounted some distance

away from the left-side handlebars (like if it was tank mounted).

You know, the more time/distance you need to take your hand off the handlebars to zoom in/out or switch music on the Zumo, the more dangerous it is. So having the ability to use a remote

that is very closely mounted to the clutch would be great I think.

Anyone know where to find the schematics?

Post up or search on zumoforums.com would be my only suggestion.

Just FYI.

If anyone want's to use a remote for their Zumo 550, it is possible. (I tested with mine today)

GathersM in Japan for Honda does it, and all you need to do is add the remote and a Y Powercable. Getting your hands on the Remote is another matter if you're not in Japan.

Costs about 100$

Ok I'll ask since I can't find it. What is a GatherM Remote switch?

It allows you to zoom in and zoom out your map as well as control your headset volume.

Not quite enough functionality, but I find myself often zooming in/out on my Zumo to get a better idea of where I'm going.

It'd prob be safer to do that on the left-side handlebar rather than navigating my hand all the way to my Zumo, finding the

buttons and doing it there. (I guess). So this remote is an option that could be used.

b0029688_22415878.jpg

Here it is actually mounted on a bike:

gallery_13834_3752_21151.jpg

GathersM Zumo Remote Switch Offered in the Japan Market for Honda's GathersM Navigation Unit.<br /><br />Unit almost identical to that of the Zumo. Confirmed Remote switch will work with the regular Zumo.

Nice...but how can we get one at a fair price in USA?

Don't know of any other place that sells it.

Garmin says they don't make it, which sounds really odd to me, as the Zumo550 with this simply Y cable and Remove work together

nicely. Would be kinda hard to think that Garmin didn't have some part in assisting Honda GathersM in making such an item

for the Japanese Market.

So you can start your screaming to Garmin to ask why other markets don't have the option. I hate marketing anyways, they have no clue (sorry) :P

I'm debating whether to get this unit for my own bike. Need to really see if it's useful or not. If it could control next track and mute of sound, then it'd

definately be worth it, but as it stands now it wont.

Fair price? Depends on what you define that as, but it'd prob cost you about 150-200$ minimum to have someone in Japan buy it for you and then send

it to you.

• Member Contributer
Nice...but how can we get one at a fair price in USA?

Don't know of any other place that sells it.

Interesting. Does it have a Honda part number, or is it only sold with the "Honda" 550? If it has a part number, it can be ordered...

I have a rather cool (at the time!) PerfectPilot remote unit for my old Garmin 2720, made by a Dutch company called Waypoint. It isn't electronic at all, but uses an IR sender, just like the Garmin remote. The 550, however, doesn't have an IR receiver, so the GathersM remote must be connected electronically.

Ciao,

• 3 years later...
  • Member Contributer

I did some searching on Yahoo! Japan Auctions the other day. "Gathers M" is the Honda motorcycle Zumo adaptation, and from a couple of the photos of the units and the remote controls it appears to me that the cradle is an integral part of this set-up. There is some kind of connector or wiring housing on the LHS of the Gathers M cradle to which the remote cable appears to connect. So I think you'd probably need the cradle as well as the remote cable (assuming the firmware would automatically support it...) to make it work on a non-Honda Zumo... That makes sense to me--but it sounds expensive!

Ciao,

bugger, knew it wouldn't be simple - I have a question in at Honda to find out availability/cost...if we knew what each of the connector pins in the standard cradle did, I reckon I could rig something up

• Member Contributer

I have never opened up the cradle, but you are certainly correct. All we need is the pin-out... :rolleyes:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Based on the information in the other thread, I went ahead and ordered the Y-cable from David Silver Spares. It appears that the remote control should work using the 4-pin connector already on the Zumo cradle. The regular power cable is 4-pin, but only contains two wires; the y-cable contains four. The other two wires are data (+) and (-), which appear to be used for the three remote control buttons in a little array. I'm not an electronicsist by any means, but I've seen wired remote button arrays before that used just two wires, so I think this could work. The Y-cable didn't break the bank, so I ordered it. (I would be using my own buttons anyway.)

Ciao,

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

DSS delivered more quickly than promised, so I hacked it apart this evening. I haven't confirmed that the data pins can be used the way I want (i.e., with my own remote control 3-button array), but in order to even try it I needed to have a cable that allowed me to connect to the (alleged) data pins on the Zumo cradle. Unlike the regular Zumo power cable that attaches in the same place, this cable contains four wires: red and black for 12v and ground, and yellow and blue for the data signals. (Note that I don't know for sure if the yellow and blue wires are the data (+) or the data (-).)

The Honda part number is 08A40-EWX-00004, and it cost UKP12.76 through DSS. It is probably actually sourced by Honda from Garmin, so maybe you can also get it from Garmin directly? Happy hacking!

Pinout attached below.

post-362-0-51908300-1320174758_thumb.jpg

Ciao,

• 3 weeks later...

I've signed up to confirm that the remotes work with regular Zumo 550's.

I just found a used remote with a honda 4 pin loom specific cable, here in Japan. I'm guessing that it came from a factory install, but I can't tell you from which bike.

Well I've just chopped off the spare connector and powered it with a battery charger and the remote works for zoom, music volume and to speak the next direction.

The 4 pin connector takes the data path back into the loom, so I'd guess one of the tourers also has this displayed in the instrument cluster or something.

Cheers VFR people! (I'm a TDM 850 pilot)

• Member Contributer

Thanks, thebob, for the confirmation! Now, once I'm finished moving half-way around the globe, starting a new, high-stress and long-hours job, finding some place in one of the world's most densely populated areas that I can (a) use as a workshop and (b) afford, I can find some spare time to put together a remote button array to see if this cable can be made to work with a non-Honda Gathers M remote. Should be very soon, now... :tongue:

Ciao,

Archived