Fork Oil Level Question

turtlecreek

i need to top off my forks as i am getting too much dive. i would like to do it without removing the forks. so, does anyone know how many cc's (or oz) of fork oil raises the level by 5mm (or 1" or or some unit of your choice)?

if not, i'll measure the diameter and use math to come up with the volume, but i was hoping some one had done this already.

thanks!

• Member Contributer

Just use a dipstick to measure the height.

Put the bike on centerstand (or a rear stand). Remove the fork caps, the forks will drop to fully compressed. You can then remove the springs and spacers and adjust the oil level without removing the forks.

• Member Contributer

Make sure the wheel is pointed straight ahead as well. That will eliminate any small variance (between the two) that may occur if it is turned slightly to one side or the other. I've eliminated all but about 1.0cm of headspace to limit the amount of room for foaming during heavy action. Went to a thicker weight oil as well. Stiffened up my front end with minimal sloshing/softness during any heavy breaking. Just a predictable amount of dive every time now. Good luck smile.gif

i need to top off my forks as i am getting too much dive. i would like to do it without removing the forks. so, does anyone know how many cc's (or oz) of fork oil raises the level by 5mm (or 1" or or some unit of your choice)?

if not, i'll measure the diameter and use math to come up with the volume, but i was hoping some one had done this already.

thanks!

my experince and fork size makes a difference, 4 or 5 cc equals about 5mm in oil height, oral suringes work well for this

to bad the vfr doent have a bleed screw it will inject right into that without removing the cap

• Forum CEO

thanks!

my experince and fork size makes a difference, 4 or 5 cc equals about 5mm in oil height, oral suringes work well for this

to bad the vfr doent have a bleed screw it will inject right into that without removing the cap

an oral syringe with a straw on the end - marked to the correct hieght, then suck up the excess till it gets below the level of the straw, its the cheap way the pros do it.

Just keep in mind that whilst the foks will compress fully, they will not be vertical. Close but not vertical. So your height reading from the top of the fork to the top of the fork fluid (normally 100 mm on the VTEC) will be less on the rearward wall of the fork tube and more on the forward. If you're really fussy, measure the angle they're at and calculate that into your equation... if you're not fussy, just take the measurement on the rearward inner wall of the fork tube, as that will be at the highest level all round. Thus you'd be erring on the safe side. Do it in a well lighted, protected space (no dust flying around).

Archived