Looking For A Special Carbon Exhaust...

SEBSPEED

I need some help locating a 3" carbon fiber exhaust sleeve. This is for a custom project. I know this is smaller than most modern sportbike sytems, but I'm thinking maybe someone makes some for a 2-stroke or shotgun-style application?

I'm looking for a sleeve or full can at least 12" in length, up to say, 18". I'm going to be cutting it in half, so I need a supplier that also sells their endcaps separately as replacement parts.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

:beer:

• Member Contributer

Hello:

Well, this looks interesting:

http://www.solarcomposites.com/composites/...%20sleeves.html

This too:

http://www.pjengineering.co.uk/products.htm

Hint: I located these by typing "carbon fiber exhaust sleeves" into Google. ;-)

rctwentyfour

This too:

rctwentyfour

Thanks, I sent those guys an email asking if they will sell to individuals, they look like a supplier for aftermarket companies. If I hear back from them, I'm going to ask about factory seconds/rejections too!! :thumbsup:

I have poked around on Google & Yahoo, mainly for materials to make my own. I'm starting to realize though, that if I make everything myself this bike will not be done for another 10 years... :beer:

Those tubes that PJ makes are all about the type of (high-temp)epoxy used, this is what makes them good for exhaust applications. The parts in the first link probably wouldn't hold up to heat.

Also looking for suggestions on what kind of bike might use an aftermarket 3" can/sleeve.

This way I can poke around ebay for potential deals.

I have made my own perforated cores to use in these cans, so engine size of the "donor bike make" doesn't matter, as long as the can is 3"(76mm). I would prefer to find one 16-18" long, and cut it into two later.

• Member Contributer
This too:

rctwentyfour

Thanks, I sent those guys an email asking if they will sell to individuals, they look like a supplier for aftermarket companies. If I hear back from them, I'm going to ask about factory seconds/rejections too!! :thumbsup:

I have poked around on Google & Yahoo, mainly for materials to make my own. I'm starting to realize though, that if I make everything myself this bike will not be done for another 10 years... :beer:

Those tubes that PJ makes are all about the type of (high-temp)epoxy used, this is what makes them good for exhaust applications. The parts in the first link probably wouldn't hold up to heat.

SEBSPEED:

Well, here is another possible resource. I stumbled across this last night, as I was looking for other stuff. It is a Brit list of exhaust manufacturers (and much more stuff too on the home page - the blue field atop this list). I found myself getting drawn into this. There are many, many Brit / International exhaust manufacturers listed here; many I had never, ever heard about. Some of the Brit custom stuff is absolutely amazing:

http://www.motorcycle.co.uk/lists/Exhausts.html

As to the "man, my bike will never get done" thought, do I ever understand that. I started out in January with the goal of doing the infamous add-a-computer-fan-to-the-regulator/rectifier modification. Well, the bike is STILL up on stands, and I am still at it. It goes like this, "Well, as long as I have THAT off, I may as well replace/paint/polish/modify THIS. It is endless. I can't stop myself. For example, yesterday I ordered Dynatek ignition coils, am going to have to modify the bracket to attach the coils for cylinders 1 and 3, then there is the whole overwhelming information/misinformation over the ignition cables. It is endless.

rctwentyfour

• Member Contributer
This too:

rctwentyfour

There was a seller on eBay selling these CF exhaust sleeves. I didn't bookmark them but BLS might know who it was. They had all shapes, sizes.

If you want CF sheets to "roll your own", Tap Plastics sells it. http://www.tapplastics.com/

I'd be interested to see what those look like.

Exactly what I'm looking for to open up my top Lasers.

PM if considered :offtopic:

Thanks! :thumbsup:

gallery_8015_3238_274225.jpg

They look just like this part, I took a flat perforated sheet, rolled it, and welded it.

I just heard back from the supplier PJ, they will sell to individuals, so I requested some pricing.

Only problem with the ebay stuff is, it has to be made with high temp epoxy.

Pending the price, I would be much happier to buy from a company that supplies actual exhaust manufacturers. :thumbsup:

I'd be interested to see what those look like.

Exactly what I'm looking for to open up my top Lasers.

PM if considered :offtopic:

Thanks! :thumbsup:

gallery_8015_3238_274225.jpg

They look just like this part, I took a flat perforated sheet, rolled it, and welded it.

I just heard back from the supplier PJ, they will sell to individuals, so I requested some pricing.

Only problem with the ebay stuff is, it has to be made with high temp epoxy.

Pending the price, I would be much happier to buy from a company that supplies actual exhaust manufacturers. :thumbsup:

Thanks Bud!

Did the Google thing and found THIS!

Prices seem good, so I may get a few more feet and make up some 'Laserostomy KitsTM'.

gallery_8015_3238_27796.jpg

I doubt this will help but many of the older 2 stroke race bikes had carbon exhaust cans about the size you are looking for.

Arrow exhaust comes to mind.

Can you confirm size and model?

Negative. I went to the arrow site but it wasnt much help.

I remeber lots of these style exhaust. I dont like that carbon, but I believe they had all diffirent styles. Maybe you could find some on e-bay.

HTH

gallery_7269_3272_4749.gif

2_bikes.gif

Thanks guys.

Jason @ PJ Engineering's been real good about returning my emails and answering questions, I wasn't expecting that being they're quite a few hours ahead timewise, and it's Saturday! :beer: :thumbsup:

He got back to me w/ prices, which aren't bad, but needed some clarification. Once I get solid pricing, I'm going to hit him up for a paper catalog, if they have one. Could be a great resource for us do-it-yourselfers!

• Member Contributer
Thanks guys.

Jason @ PJ Engineering's been real good about returning my emails and answering questions, I wasn't expecting that being they're quite a few hours ahead timewise, and it's Saturday! :beer: :thumbsup:

He got back to me w/ prices, which aren't bad, but needed some clarification. Once I get solid pricing, I'm going to hit him up for a paper catalog, if they have one. Could be a great resource for us do-it-yourselfers!

Hi Seb, Like I thought of building my own exhaust cans pg eng sent me these a while ago.

If you need a UK contact to send to US drop me a PM.

Exhaust sleeve price list.

The 1st size below is the bore in mm and the 2nd is the maximum length in mm available.Qoute for shorter lengths available. EG 110x500 = 110mm inside diameter by 500mm long.

Carbon fibre

50.8x300 £16

54x300 £18

55x290 £18

58.65x330 £19

60x85.2 flat sided ovalx380 £24

63x300 £22

66x380 £23.50

76x280 £22

77x500 £24

79x500 £24

85.7x500 £24.90

86x480 £25.40

96x490 £24.90 HRC size

98.2x550 £26.50

99x420 £23.50

106x500 £28 ducati size

107.65x500 £28

110x450 £26.50 most popular size

TRI OVAL X 450 £34 (HAVE END CAPS TO SUITE)

110x500 £28

114x500 £28.90

115.75x500 £29

116x500 £29

120x500 £31

121x475 £30

122.75x500 £32

123x550 £35

124x600 £37

127x500 £38

150x900x2mm thick £95

Titanium

110X450 plain titanium £45

110x450 coloured (rainbow) £55

Stainless Steel

110x450 £14.50

Aluminium

110x450 milled finish £15

Exhaust parts price list.

Trade

Stainless steel oval outlets £14.25

Stainless steel oval inlets 2 inch bore £8.50

Stainless steel 110 round outlets £14.25

Stainless steel 110 round inlets 2 inch bore £8.50

Stainless steel 98 round inlets 2 inch bore £8.50

Stainless steel 98 round outlets £14.25

Stainless steel 86 round inlets £8.50

Stainless steel 86 round outlets £14.25

Tri oval pressings from £12

Other sizes are available upto 3”bore

Round alloy billet inlets (single type) £9.80

Round alloy billet inlets (double type) £19.25

Oval alloy billet inlets (single type) £19.50

Oval alloy billet inlets (double type) £25

Standard top hat (from billet-perf) £8.50

Zrx 11-12 top hats £10.00

Stainless steel silencer straps 110 & oval £3.65

Rubber for above straps (per strap) £1.90

Stainless steel rivet straps plain £1.90

Stainless steel rivet straps stamped “not for road use” £2.10

Stainless steel rivet strap stamped “bsau” etc £2.35

E-glass packing in single packs from £4.10

E-glass packing in 20 metre rolls x 6mm thick £95

Stainless 2inch perforated tube in cut lengths £poa

Slip on and link pipe clamps 31mm upwards £from £1.15

All the above prices are ex vat and plus any carriage charges

Please don’t hesitate to contact us if any other parts are required.

Thank you redmarque, I may take you up on that. I need to see more pics of their stuff, I may decide to get the hard parts elsewhere if I don't like theirs.

Any idea what those flanged tube things are in the pic? Is that what they're referring to as a "top hat"?

parts1.jpg

• Member Contributer
Any idea what those flanged tube things are in the pic? Is that what they're referring to as a "top hat"?

parts1.jpg

They look as if they fit in the entry to the can (3 bolt on the edge holes) kind of a semi-collector before perf tube - race use only I would have thought.

Guest vfrrider

OK Seb,

Just when I was liking my shotgun exhaust in AL, you have to bring this back up.

I tried several exhaust mfgrs when I was rebuilding the VFR exhaust and none said they had 3' OD carbon available. And now along comes JP with everything to rebuild my cans in carbon.

The only thing I was cautioned about is burning, so be sure to wrap your long fiber ceramic wool with heavy AL foil before sleeving the can.

Let me know how it goes, prices etc. And what about hangers? Are you making your own straps and hangers?

Pics as progress made, please.

Larry

VFRrider

Archived