Hiss

Guest RWB25

Guest RWB25

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know of the availability of Honda's HISS (Honda Ignition Security System) on their North American bikes? From what I can gather, Honda pre-installs it on their CBR600 models. And it seems to be very popular in the UK.

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/mc2003/cbr600rr/equipment.html

Is the HISS available on other Honda models?

Is the HISS available on any of Honda's North American bikes?

Anyone have experience, good or bad, with it? Just curious how well it works.

Thanks.

J

I have it on my VTEC, and it was available on the Y2K and Y2K+1 VFR800FI models. But I live in Europe... B)

My 98er obviously doesn't have it. I would love to know if I can install the 2000/1 version HISS unit on her...

Never offered here (yet?) in the US.

Bikes don't get stolen here too much.........right Honda!? <_<

You might try and get parts for it from the UK and put in your own system, but it might be more work and cost than it seems.

Beck

95 VFR

That was kind of my suspicion...that it was only available on non North American models. <_<

Does anyone know if it can be installed (easily) on a NA model? Is it just a wiring harness? Or are we talking about a whole new ignition system?

Any ideas how much it would cost? I assume it would have to be ordered directly from the U.K.

J

That was kind of my suspicion...that it was only available on non North American models. <_<

Does anyone know if it can be installed (easily) on a NA model? Is it just a wiring harness? Or are we talking about a whole new ignition system?

Any ideas how much it would cost? I assume it would have to be ordered directly from the U.K.

J

I'm kinda curious myself.

Yes, the key codes are stored in the ECU, so you need a new ECU, ignition switch and keys.

So yes, it can be done but it will be costly. Ugh! :pissed:

I find it odd that it appears to only be available/sold in the U.K. and possibly Australia.

Is there some kind of legislation in those countries that requires certain/some/all bikes to have a theft device installed by the manufacturer?

I just find it odd that Honda would only offer the theft system in select countries on a VFR that they sell worldwide. sad.gif Very odd. I guess we don't have thieves in North America. B)

J

I find it odd that it appears to only be available/sold in the U.K. and possibly Australia.

Is there some kind of legislation in those countries that requires certain/some/all bikes to have a theft device installed by the manufacturer?

It comes with every Euro VFR (and other Honda models), not just UK. Not because of legislation, but many insurers require you to have an immobiliser/alarm, depending on your policy.

Ok. That makes a lot more sense. :huh:

Just very odd that the NA insurance companies don't demand the same here. Actually, I'm surprised they don't. But I guess, that would just increase the bike prices too! :pissed:

Some do offer discounts for alarms etc. but I guess insurance companies don't see bike theft as a problem, here in NA.

• Member Contributer

I have the HISS on my UK bike. The only real problem has been for people who have lost both keys, you have to replace the keys, ECU and HISS sensor. That will be, in your yankee dorrars, $3000.

I recently saw a complete set on Ebog UK for $750 yankee dorrars.

Thanks for the link.

Ouch! :o

That is crazy expensive. If they are that much on eBay (from the wreckers), I can only imagine how much it would directly from Honda. eek!

Well, I guess I will be looking to the aftermarket for any kind of bike alarm.

Any suggestions for a good bike alarm?

• Member Contributer

In the same way you guys in the USA don't know anything about "high" gasoline prices, you also don't know jack about motorbike theft. HISS is just one of many attempts to deal with the massive theft problems we have to deal with in the UK. We've got locks up the ying yang, concrete-in ground anchors, alarms, immobilisers, tracking devices, marking devices (Datatag, Smartwater), you name it! (Oh, and sky-high insurance premiums to go with it.) But the trade-off is the wonderful, year-round riding weather we're blessed with...and relatively close proximity to some places we'd actually enjoy riding!

Ciao,

year-round riding weather

In the UK?? Jebeesus, I was in London for one winter and it snowed quite a bit out Richmond way!! I recall because it was just too cold to ride my bike to work... waiting in the snow for a Bus is the pits!! Or were you being tongue-in-cheek?

Well, that's why I'm so surprised the insurance companies in NA have not mandated something like HISS on bikes. Anything to make more money....on both the insurance premiums (if you don't have HISS) and the cost of the bike.

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before we see it in North America.

Don't the aftermarket companies complain they can't sell their alarm products for these bikes because they come from the factory with an alarm pre-installed?

• Member Contributer

Americans still don't know what bike theft is, relatively speaking, so there's no incentive for Honda to offer it. Part of what jacks our bike theft figures through the roof is scooters, though, which are very easy to steal and of which we have loads to choose from. But still, bike theft is very common. (Though our eBay is thriving!)

Weather-wise, compared to the rest of Northern Europe, the UK has very mild weather (at least around London). It sometimes snows, but that is rare and--thanks to MMGW--becoming even rarer! You can ride year-round if you don't mind freezing and having your bike reduced to a corroded wreck from the road salt, that is... So, you can ride year-round, but you may not want to!

Ciao,

Archived