F4i Front End On A Vtec Vfr

SEBSPEED

Question

I have started parting out my add-ons from the F4i, getting ready to sell it this spring. When I removed the Vortex upper triple, I decided to see how it fit on the viffer.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take measurements before putting the bike back together, but I suppose if someone was interested enough I could get some numbers.

Here's the pics.

Definitely different offset. Combined with the slightly shorter legs, would make for much quicker steering.

stuff002.jpg

stuff003.jpg

Sure looks nice though! B)

stuff004.jpg

Hope this helps someone.

9 answers to this question

Now you know what you have to do, right? :rolleyes:

Reprogram those CNC machines at work to do your bidding from 5 PM to 9 AM every night and churn out hundreds of thousands of billet VTEC upper triple clamps. :joystick:

Hey, you opened the can 'o worms buddy, not me. I'm just sayin' smile.gif

Meanwhile, to stoke demand to a frenzy, may I present:

triple1.jpg

Oh and Seb, that noise you hear outside is the angry mob of VTEC owners armed with camchains and grab-handles, pounding down your door. :o

Oh, and as an aside, moving the forks rearward by using triples with less offset will actually INCREASE trail and slow steering.

rakeandtaildx4.gif

But the bit about the shorter fork legs is correct, shorter forks = lower the front end = cancels out some of the effect of greater trail. How much? I dunno.

As would raising the rear.

I stand corrected(or not, possibly? :unsure: :D ).

I would LOVE to make a sign that reads "VFRD Parts Only" on one of the HAAS machines, but, alas, they're needed for other things 90% of the time. The rest of the time, the operators are at home sleeping. One or more of them could be coerced with beer to not sleep for a night, however, this method has its limitations...

I did think about it while I was holding it today. I'd love to hold on to it in case I do ever decide to swap forks, but who knows when that will happen. Sell now, re-buy later. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Speaking of measurements...I have not measured either the F4i or the VTEC, but I do know the 800Fi has a 39.5mm offset and the RC51/954/929 has 30.0mm offset, which is a relatively large difference. The earlier CBR600F3 had an offset of 34.5mm.

(Btw, thanks for the clear photographic evidence that the VTEC and 2001 F4i have the same fork spacing!)

Ciao,

(Btw, thanks for the clear photographic evidence that the VTEC and 2001 F4i have the same fork spacing!)

Ciao,

Don't know how far that will get you, as the CBR has larger fork lowers, utilizing four axle pinch bolts to the VTEC's two... so wheel spacing is still a question.

• Member Contributer
Oh, and as an aside, moving the forks rearward by using triples with less offset will actually INCREASE trail and slow steering.

But the bit about the shorter fork legs is correct, shorter forks = lower the front end = cancels out some of the effect of greater trail. How much? I dunno.

As would raising the rear.

Speaking of measurements...I have not measured either the F4i or the VTEC, but I do know the 800Fi has a 39.5mm offset and the RC51/954/929 has 30.0mm offset, which is a relatively large difference.

Ciao,

I felt this is what created the slow turning issue after my 5g RC conversion. Adding a shorter 4G dogbone popped that rear end up a good 1.25" I'd say, definitely leans over waaay more on the sidestand and the center stand is useless - you could knock the bike over with one finger while it's on the cstand. Also dropped the front end 5-8mm and raised the shock p-load kind of high. I'm not on tip toes yet but it's a different bike. Turns in very nice now.

• Member Contributer

Ciao,

Don't know how far that will get you, as the CBR has larger fork lowers, utilizing four axle pinch bolts to the VTEC's two... so wheel spacing is still a question.

It's just data for the chart. (So is axle length!)

Ciao,

Now you know what you have to do, right? :pissed:

Reprogram those CNC machines at work to do your bidding from 5 PM to 9 AM every night and churn out hundreds of thousands of billet VTEC upper triple clamps. :joystick:

Hey, you opened the can 'o worms buddy, not me. I'm just sayin' smile.gif

Meanwhile, to stoke demand to a frenzy, may I present:

triple1.jpg

Oh and Seb, that noise you hear outside is the angry mob of VTEC owners armed with camchains and grab-handles, pounding down your door. :o

You want to hold onto that as vortex doesn't make them anymore & don't plan to for the 929/954 so unless you can find old stock somewhere you have a rare item.

You want to hold onto that as vortex doesn't make them anymore & don't plan to for the 929/954 so unless you can find old stock somewhere you have a rare item.

Oh, mine's a rare item alright. I had it stripped and black anodized baby!

It was originally clear like Seb's. Cost me an extra 60 bucks to have it refinished.

Dunno why Vortex never made them in colours other than silver???

Archived