How Do You Mount A Gps?

mtnxbiker

Hey everyone, I got a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx for christmas and am trying to figure out how I can mount it to my bike. Where do you guys attach yours? the tank? the handlebars or windscreen? I have looked at the mounts by Garmin and RAM, but i'm not sure which one to use, if any. Maybe I could make a custom mount?

Thanks!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
Hey everyone, I got a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx for christmas and am trying to figure out how I can mount it to my bike. Where do you guys attach yours? the tank? the handlebars or windscreen? I have looked at the mounts by Garmin and RAM, but i'm not sure which one to use, if any. Maybe I could make a custom mount?

Thanks!

I have shots of a tank and handlebar RAM mounts in my Tales of Zumo thread. I have a Zumo though. I like the Tank Mount.

med_gallery_2144_2760_136024.jpg

I like the RAM handlebar mount, the one in BonusVFR's pic. Seems like this is my best option, as it looks like I will be able to position the GPS fairly well and still be able to use my tank bag. The front tank bolt mount is interesting but I don't think I can do that on my 4tyh gen.

• Member Contributer

FWIW, I'm with Bonus. I use a tank mount, then use a triple ball to attach my zumo and satellite radio. I like having everything in line of sight. :beer:

gallery_2925_321_770278.jpg

100_2804.jpg

gallery_2925_321_795819.jpg

100_2805.jpg

I tried the handlebar RAM mount and the RAM mount that gets bolted down with the gas tank bolts. I much prefer the gas tank location with a 5" RAM arm...

Thanks!

http://www.ram-mount.com/motorcycle_mounts...hmotorcycle.htm

I used a stem mount with a 3 inch arm. I have the same exact Garmin. I haven't tried

it with a tank bag yet.

• Member Contributer

I used RAM mount on all my bikes so far, except the RC45. The tank bag has a mount system..but I don't really like it.

gallery_6467_1043_8003.jpg

MRA_VFR.jpg

gallery_6467_1043_43965.jpg

GPSmount2.jpg

I have a mount for my Garmin attached to the tank bolts:

gallery_3392_431_51977.jpg

Garmin c330

I only used the 3" arm and it still pokes up just above my tank bag. I swap that out for my video camera.

I think a lot of what to choose depends on what you intend to use. My C330 is a pretty big GPS so it sticks over the Joe Rocket tank bag that I use. My video camera is a Sony Cybershot DSC-M1 that is really tall. The 3" arm works for me. See what I'm sayin'? There's lots of variables that you kinda have to work through.

http://www.ram-mount.com/motorcycle_mounts...hmotorcycle.htm

I used a stem mount with a 3 inch arm. I have the same exact Garmin. I haven't tried

it with a tank bag yet.

Thanks for the link. Do you use the fork stem mount or the threaded post? I'm assuming to use the threaded post you would need a special steering stem nut?

I have a map60c and I use the Ram mount for the triple tree with the short extention arm and I can see it over my tank bag with 2 fleece jacktes stuffed into it. I dont use the power adapter for the GPS just the batteries.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
I have a mount for my Garmin attached to the tank bolts:

gallery_3392_431_51977.jpg

Garmin c330

I only used the 3" arm and it still pokes up just above my tank bag. I swap that out for my video camera.

I think a lot of what to choose depends on what you intend to use. My C330 is a pretty big GPS so it sticks over the Joe Rocket tank bag that I use. My video camera is a Sony Cybershot DSC-M1 that is really tall. The 3" arm works for me. See what I'm sayin'? There's lots of variables that you kinda have to work through.

Where did you get the tank mount and where did you get the mount with the ball for the Streetpilot? I have the same GPS and haven't been able to find a RAM mount for it. Thanks, Josh

Any RAM dealer has this Handlebar RAM mount.......take off the Ubolt and you are ready to go using the front bolts on the VFR tank.

RAM-BAR_thumb.gif

Josh, like he said. You'll also need an extension arm. I have the 3" one but a lot of others use the 5" arm. The 3" works for me as it doesn't block the guages and it sticks up just above my smallish tank bag. Here's the cradle you're looking for too:

http://www.gpscity.com/search-c330/c=all

It doesn't come with a power cord though. I have to take the one out of my car, remove the power cord (two little screws) and then put it on my motorcycle set up. Search around the website and you'll certainly come up with something. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

To make it simple and cheap, buy the Garmin bicycle mount, get some PVC pipe, one piece turned down to fit into the steering tube (which you cut on the diagonal and use a long screw to create a stem mount – you know, like the old style bicycle stems), glue it to a 45 angle and a longer tube, then a 90 angle to make the “bar” onto which the Garmin mount is attached. I built one for my Etrex for about $4 and it also works for my Rino.

+1 for the tank bolt mount. Tremendously convenient and no issues when you turn the bars..

Jay

I tried the handlebar RAM mount and the RAM mount that gets bolted down with the gas tank bolts. I much prefer the gas tank location with a 5" RAM arm...

I currently use the 'stock' left bar mount but I've bought the RAM hardware to try out the tank mount come spring.

gallery_5129_2548_158029.jpg

Garmin Zumo GPS mount

• 2 weeks later...

Archived