Projector Headlights

vanion2

Question

• Member Contributer

I am sure anyone logged in today has seen the VFR with the projector beams mod. If not, here it is:

gallery_4124_307_89747.jpg

The member hasn't been on the board since May 2006 but that doesn't stop me from having some serious interest in how this was accomplished. I did a search of the board and couldn't find if there was a DIY for this but if anyone runs across this please let me know (I will continue the search as well). This would be spectacular combined with some HID bulbs not to mention a great upgrade in looks. Talk about unique. :thumbsup:

13 answers to this question

If you fish through the rest of his gallery, there are more pictures that may be of help.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...m&album=307

IIRC, the guy was a Porsche mechanic and used projector beams that came off a Porsche.

• Member Contributer
If you fish through the rest of his gallery, there are more pictures that may be of help.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...m&album=307

Yes...I saw those. What projector lenses did he use would be my main question. The rest is pretty straight forward from there. :thumbsup:

I don't think he got around to doing the write-up - with 5 posts to his name I'd guess he sold his 5th Gen and signed off from VFRD.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...mp;#entry223027

• Member Contributer
There you go:
Yes they are lights from a 2001 911. As well as the ballasts, ignitors, harnesses etc.

Thanks to Murray for dusting off that old thread.

Awesome. :thumbsup:

And ouch...that looks like it is going to be expensive. :lurk:

I'll just put that one on the list of farkles I will pursue once I have graduated. :goofy:

There you go:
Yes they are lights from a 2001 911. As well as the ballasts, ignitors, harnesses etc.

Thanks to Murray for dusting off that old thread.

Awesome. :thumbsup:

And ouch...that looks like it is going to be expensive. :lurk:

I'll just put that one on the list of farkles I will pursue once I have graduated. :goofy:

EBAY? Buying them from Porsche would be stoopidly expensive. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Hello all,

I must must beat myself for not logging on to the board as often. Just been busy with life. Hope everyone is well. After a year and half of owning the VFR I have decided its time to take it apart and make it custom. I am looking forward to what I have in mind, but not sooo much the $$$ part of it. <_<

Anyways I want and from my first time ever seeing the double headed lighted VFR's have always wanted to wonder how xenon's and an awesome light package would set the bike off.

I have plans to find a reliable, durable, and pretty easy to install kit from somewhere. Then while we have everything off I am going to see what is possible with the projector headlights. I may opt to just go with a very slick "Halo" or "angel" eye look. Where the ring around the light is lite. (BMW look).

Also while doing this I am going to add some goodies and want to be sure that I have no electrical issues, and be able to do it right.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

I have been thinking of doing a fiberglass front end on my bike with stacked projectors similar to the Duc 999. I am currently in the process of doing a custom headlight setup for my Scion xB. I already converted to HID, which is friggin sweet, and now am doing a custom housing with projectors. Here is what I have pieced together so far:

Projectors are rated good and bad on the following criterion; cut-off, color switch or change, clarity, and spray/pattern. Go onto ebay with patience and you can buy projectors for about $60. Another great thing to do is buy cracked housings at a junkyard and salvage the projector portion. Some good ones are the Acura TSX projectors, Infinity G35, VW Taureg, and Caddy CTS also.

Almost every stock headlamp can be disassembled by either using a heat gun, or baking it in the oven at 180-210 f and then pulling the housing lens off of the housing. I used black 1/4" abs plastic to mount the projector housing and ran a HID setup in it. I would be cautious of heat with a standard halogen bulb however, so make sure your materials stand up to it. A friend molded his form in 1/8" abs and used it as a mold for fiberglass. PVC pipe makes for a great circle pattern also. Carbon fiber is expensive and hard to work with, however provides great results. Be careful tho, since it is semi-conductive.

You can always cut out the stock housing (like the ones above) and mount them from behind. I would use a Dremmel for this. As a kid I tried mounting auto zone fog lights in my headlights (hey I was an aspiring artist) and used a saber saw....cracked the plastic and reflectors inside.

Sorry I do not have any pictures, I am still trying to get decent projectors to finish my xB, then onto the Viffer in the summer...I hope. Watch out for cheapo projectors....I lost about $40 buying a pair of crappy no-name ones. They shot light all over the place with virtually no cut-off. Hope this helps at least some.

A few people have done some posts about HID conversion for the VFR, so search it and you will see some info.

-Brad

Archived