License Plate Side Mount

Guest azpnshr

Question

8 answers to this question

juust dont take it to the gap if you do, tn has some kind of law about mounting your plate, i think it is about mounting it any way other than left to right as in reading it left to right. but im not positive on this.

• Member Contributer

i know that the entire thing has to be readable from 50ft behind the bike. As far as orientation is, i don't believe there is a law on it, as i have seen cars with tilted plates, as well as bikes. I'm sure a cop will give you a hard time about it sooner or later, but it doesn't seem to be illegal.

I just did a search on it and couldn't find anything on it anywhere. On some vendor sites for vertical plates, they do mention that it is illegal in some states. So i guess only way to be sure is to call the bureau.

I put a light on mine, and rode over to the local PD and to the State Trooper barracks, both agencies told me I was good to go. :thumbsup:

No issues at the Gap either, although I didn't see any 5-0 that weekend... :joystick:

killboy3.jpg

killboy4.jpg

killboy5.jpg

killboyshot.jpg

• Member Contributer
juust dont take it to the gap if you do, tn has some kind of law about mounting your plate, i think it is about mounting it any way other than left to right as in reading it left to right. but im not positive on this.

Yeah, Tennessee has this law......rarely enforced...BUT...it was one of the nit-pik things they were using back earlier in the year during their Deals Gap Blitz Campaign............... <_<

I'm trying to expand on my resources; anyone familiar with a side mount option for the license plate and light on a 6th gen VFR?

My suggestion would be to make sure any mounting alteration of you registation plate if legal in the state it's registered. If your state has a safety inspection program the inspection code and not the vehicle code may spedify the mounting location as in my state.

This is also law here in indiana.....I was just asking my friend, who is a leo about it the other day and this is what he sent me.....the official law. See 3-b

IC 9-18-2-26

License plates; display

Sec. 26. (a) License plates shall be displayed as follows:

(1) For a motorcycle, trailer, semitrailer, or recreational vehicle, upon the rear of the vehicle.

(2) For a tractor or dump truck, upon the front of the vehicle.

(3) For every other vehicle, upon the rear of the vehicle.

( b ) A license plate shall be securely fastened, in a horizontal position, to the vehicle for which the plate is issued:

(1) to prevent the license plate from swinging;

(2) at a height of at least twelve (12) inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of the license plate;

(3) in a place and position that are clearly visible;

(4) maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible; and

(5) not obstructed or obscured by tires, bumpers, accessories, or

other opaque objects.

© The bureau may adopt rules the bureau considers advisable to enforce the proper mounting and securing of license plates on vehicles consistent with this chapter.

As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.6. Amended by P.L.210-2005, SEC.22; P.L.42-2007, SEC.18.

Around here, the ticket for improper tag display is $150, altho my friend says they rarely write that ticket. Plus your bike could be towed. But they do use it as a reason to pull some one over, Like if someone was obviously speeding, but he didn't get it on radar. He could pull you over for that and look for a more serious infraction......

This is also law here in indiana.....I was just asking my friend, who is a leo about it the other day and this is what he sent me.....the official law. See 3-b

IC 9-18-2-26

License plates; display

Sec. 26. (a) License plates shall be displayed as follows:

(1) For a motorcycle, trailer, semitrailer, or recreational vehicle, upon the rear of the vehicle.

(2) For a tractor or dump truck, upon the front of the vehicle.

(3) For every other vehicle, upon the rear of the vehicle.

( b ) A license plate shall be securely fastened, in a horizontal position, to the vehicle for which the plate is issued:

(1) to prevent the license plate from swinging;

(2) at a height of at least twelve (12) inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of the license plate;

(3) in a place and position that are clearly visible;

(4) maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible; and

(5) not obstructed or obscured by tires, bumpers, accessories, or

other opaque objects.

© The bureau may adopt rules the bureau considers advisable to enforce the proper mounting and securing of license plates on vehicles consistent with this chapter.

As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.6. Amended by P.L.210-2005, SEC.22; P.L.42-2007, SEC.18.

Around here, the ticket for improper tag display is $150, altho my friend says they rarely write that ticket. Plus your bike could be towed. But they do use it as a reason to pull some one over, Like if someone was obviously speeding, but he didn't get it on radar. He could pull you over for that and look for a more serious infraction......

Here it is for PA:

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:26 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/vehic...e/chapter13.pdf

(at above link under sub-section 1332)

§ 1332. Display of registration plate.

(a) General rule.--Every registration plate shall, at all times, be securely fastened to the vehicle to

which it is assigned or on which its use is authorized in accordance with regulations promulgated by the

department.

(B) Obscuring plate.--It is unlawful to display on any vehicle a registration plate which:

(1) is so dirty as to prevent the reading of the number or letters thereon at a reasonable

distance;

(2) is obscured in any manner which inhibits the proper operation of an automated red

light enforcement system in place pursuant to section 3116 (relating to automated red light

enforcement systems in first class cities); or

(3) is otherwise illegible at a reasonable distance or is obscured in any manner.

© Penalty for obscured plate.--Any person who violates subsection (B)(2) commits a summary

offense and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to pay a fine of $100.

(Feb. 9, 2004, P.L.65, No.

and the link for the inspection code in PA:

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/inspections/pub_45.shtml

Archived