Brake Caliper Issues

thereisnospoon

Question

6 answers to this question

They may quite possibly be physically interchangeable, meaning you could bolt them on, but IIRC, the 6th gens have different brake piston sizes to match the more aggressive LBS proportioning which gives more front brake bias than the 5th gens

• Member Contributer
They may quite possibly be physically interchangeable, meaning you could bolt them on, but IIRC, the 6th gens have different brake piston sizes to match the more aggressive LBS proportioning which gives more front brake bias than the 5th gens

Brake caliper piston sizes are found in the Honda Workshop Manuals for each bike. It is usually a good idea to re-calculate the master/slave ratio when swapping brake components to make sure you're not giving yourself WORSE brakes than before...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

They are also plumbed differently. 5th gens have LBS lines from the rear MC going to both front calipers. On 6th gens only the left front caliper is the beneficiary of that feature.

I see the part numbers are different and I haven't been able to compare the two but I was curious if anyone knows if the 5th and 6th (2003) front calipers are the same/interchangeable?

Thanks!

The only difference between a 5th gen and 6th gen is the VTEcH,

I'm just kidding, but theres alot more past that brick wall

• Member Contributer

I'm hoping that someone that has done a front caliper seal replacement can verify if I am reading the fiche correctly for the following parts. I assume by "set" Honda means that it's the fluid seal and the "dust" seal. By the way the fiche is written, it appears the following are required:

06431-MA3-405 x 1 (set)

06451-GE2-405 x 2 (sets)

06451-MZ2-405 x 3 (sets)

Is this correct to replace all 6 piston seals?

Thanks...

• Member Contributer
I'm hoping that someone that has done a front caliper seal replacement can verify if I am reading the fiche correctly for the following parts. I assume by "set" Honda means that it's the fluid seal and the "dust" seal. By the way the fiche is written, it appears the following are required:

06431-MA3-405 x 1 (set)

06451-GE2-405 x 2 (sets)

06451-MZ2-405 x 3 (sets)

Is this correct to replace all 6 piston seals?

Thanks...

selfish self bump... anyone done these replacements recently?

Archived