Aerostich - Darien Or Roadcrafter 2pc ?

Falco1UK

• Member Contributer

going to slash out on some Aerostich gear, but which one - Darien or Roadcrafter 2pc ?

Specs look fairly similar. Appreciate feedback of good / bad points from those that have either / both.

thanks,

Phil

• Member Contributer

Timely topic, eh? I spoke to about 3 dudes (sorry..er..."gents") who had Aerostich stuff. The 1 piece guys gushed about it, they were on their 2nd or 3rd suit.

I thought long and hard, but when I saw the ease of zipping on/off the 1-piece....I'm sold. I'll be ordering one for Christmas.

FWIW if you're in the UK, c'mon down and spend your money in the US. Everything's on a fire sale as our currency is in the toilet. Er...loo... :huh:

EDIT: i see you're nested in B.C. Whoops...well hell, the Loonie is still doing well against the USD.

• Forum CEO

One Piece is easier to get on and off, the 2 piece is of course modular and you can combine it with different gear. However with the one piece your more likely to be protected. Rather than just going out with the top jacket and jeans. I am on my second 1 piece.

I will probably get another one when this one wears out. Hopefully Aerostich contiues to develop thier gear as new technologies emerge. The newer armor comming out seems to be very promising, and there are things I think are useless on the stich. The big front map pocket for example is uncomfortable when you use it with a water bottle, it tends to let things fall out and really doesnt serve much good. The other pockets however are good, the top glove pocket on the right? not much use for that either? The leg pockets are great though, maybe a fold up hood to keep rain from comming down your neck like many new jackets are doing would serve stich well? The zippers they take some abuse - I have fouled up a few zippers on mine.

I've got a two-piece. It is the single best piece of motorcycle anything I have ever purchased, aside from the bikes themselves. Once moving, I don't like to stop unless I absolutely HAVE to. This thing helps make that a reality. Met a guy recently that referred to his as "the miracle suit". After about three minutes practice, I had no problem with the zips. I like the flexibility of the "just jacket" option, but rarely go with out the pants as it is easier to just wear them. I think my girlfriend is jealous of my Roadcrafter...

Falco1uk,

What is the gear's primary purpose?

The 'stich was designed as an easy on/off commuter oversuit that works very well for touring.

The Darien was designed for touring duty and requires a one-legged dance to doff/don.

The aerodynamics of a VFR favor the closer fitting 'stich, while the looser fitting Darien is generally seen on more upright and fully faired machines.

Some track day promoters allow one or two piece Roadcrafters in lieu of leathers, not so sure of the Darien.

My '99 two piece 'stich is freshly Nixwash laundered and ready for the Texas Fall/Winter riding season.

Regards,

VFR_ATL

• Member Contributer

Another RC 1-piece fan, here. Had mine since '94. Used it on the track, for commuting, a 3k mile tour (much of it in 100+ temps), and for dual-sporting. It's been well road-tested, too. :huh:

I recently added some Darien pants (amazingly I found some used 36L +3", perfect fit!) to the closet, which I wear with an A* TZ-1 leather jacket. I'll probably wear this more for casual riding or touring in warmer weather, but I feel the RC suit protection is a bit better, and it is faster on/off. The Darien pants material is a lot lighter, but the knee padding is the same. I think the Darien will need repairs after crashes that will just scuff the RC.

Darien here.

Tried on a buddy's RC before opting for the Darien. I like the pants "optional" choice. The venting in the jacket is fabulous, really moves a lot of air in the warmer temps. And although hopping is sometimes required to pull on the pants, I have often done it at stoplights waiting for a green light.

Great gear, no matter which you chose.

• Member Contributer

Has anyone found a place to get a Roadcrafter that won't require a second mortgage? They are nearly $800 on the Aerostich website. Is that th going rate?

I want one with knee puck velcro.

• Member Contributer

I bought my first Aerostich suit (a 2 piece in dayglo yellow). I think it is fantastic, I have never had a problem with putting it on or moving around once suited. At first I didn't have the elliptical zip in piece in the back, but adding it made everything more comfortable. A business suit fits just fine under it, and the lining seems to stop everything form getting crushed and wrinkled.

Why a 2 piece and not a 1 piece? I figured I might want to take the jacket off and not drag it around behind me - same as two piece ski clothes vs 1 piece suit. As it is I mostly just undo it and keep it on, so the argument was moot.

Grea suit and well made - worth the cost!

John

• Member Contributer

I have the Roadcrafter 2PC. I like the flexibility to wear the pants/jacket in different combos. You can also order different sizes (pant/jacket) which gives you more fitting options.

2696083820099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer
Falco1uk,

What is the gear's primary purpose?

The 'stich was designed as an easy on/off commuter oversuit that works very well for touring.

The Darien was designed for touring duty and requires a one-legged dance to doff/don.

The aerodynamics of a VFR favor the closer fitting 'stich, while the looser fitting Darien is generally seen on more upright and fully faired machines.

Some track day promoters allow one or two piece Roadcrafters in lieu of leathers, not so sure of the Darien.

My '99 two piece 'stich is freshly Nixwash laundered and ready for the Texas Fall/Winter riding season.

Regards,

VFR_ATL

Main use is winter / wet weather riding. Leathers are for summertime.

Would be commuting to work / touring and have used the RC pants recently but whilst the 10sec on/off is impressive, I'd much rather take 30sec get on/off and remain 100% dry. The RC pants I have (less than 2wks old) already leak around the left leg zip area. Poor performance for $350+ from something thats primarily designed to keep me dry. Great for convenience, not so for arriving dry.

From what I've seen / read, the Roadcrafter seems to be the heavier more crash resistant suit but the Darien seems to be better in terms of wet weather performance with covered external zips (zips on inside is about worst place for weather protection.) Also prefer the lined version of the RC but neither jacket is really a winter option without a fleece underneath.

Personally would prefer pants without the long length leg zips as these will always be the weak link but unfortunately this isn't an option.

Would be commuting to work / touring and have used the RC pants recently but whilst the 10sec on/off is impressive, I'd much rather take 30sec get on/off and remain 100% dry.

Falco1UK,

It is a bit of a pisser to pay >$800 for a piece of kit that requires the owner to buy the $14 "Aerostich Waterwerks Kit #1333", haul one's self and said gear to a coin-op laundry and mingle with folk who do not share my demographic profile to perform waterproofing that should be done properly at the factory in the 1st place.

In fact I just spent part of last Saturday doing this Waterproofing Project as an Annual Ritual. The result is to have an exceptionally functional piece of durable kit, an accurate indication of local ethnic diversity and a profound respect for the multi-tasking abilites of mothers with several small children.

Regards,

VFR_ATL

I am sorry that I don't have any input toward the Darian or RoadCrafter 2 piece. I own a Roadcrafter one piece suit. I am extremely pleased with it. It works as advertised. Should anything happen to mine I would order a replacement the next business day. AeroStitch builds a quality product and, in my experience, stands solidly behind it.

Has anyone found a place to get a Roadcrafter that won't require a second mortgage? They are nearly $800 on the Aerostich website. Is that th going rate?

Yes, that is the going rate. And it is worth every penny. The only place you will find them is from AeroStitch directly or used on eBay or craigslist. AeroStitch does not have dealers.

I recommend that you get on AeroStitch's sale list. They will e-mail you a list of garments that have either been returned (due to size or fit, etc.) or are were instructional garments used in training new employees. Regardless, they still stand behind the garment as they would a "new" one. And you will save a hundred or two.

Keep in mind that they last for years and years. The last time I figured the cost of mine it was down to around $0.28 per day of riding. Yeah you pay quite a bit up front but it pays for itself quickly.

It is a bit of a pisser to pay >$800 for a piece of kit that requires the owner to buy the $14 "Aerostich Waterwerks Kit #1333", haul one's self and said gear to a coin-op laundry and mingle with folk who do not share my demographic profile to perform waterproofing that should be done properly at the factory in the 1st place.

I have never done this. The garment is waterproof without the NikWax due to the GoreTex. The Nikwax just keeps the fabric from absorbing water and getting heavy. The GoreTex will keep the water from coming through to you with or without the NikWax.

As for the seam grip (sealant used on the zipper tapes), I find that having never done that, the water intrusion in minimal. It has never been enough to be a bother to me. I have experienced the "wet crotch" on a few rare occassions. And then, only after extended periods of continous rain (50+miles).

I have experienced better dryness with my "hands off" Roadcrafter than I ever did with any other "rainproof" gear that I have owned over the years.

c69f7288.jpg

Topeka 800 and Lee 2002

• Member Contributer

Don't mean to crash this thread, and I know Aerostitch is great stuff (was gonna' buy a 1 pc.), but Olympia stuff is worth looking at.....I've got the Phantom 1pc. and AST 2pc. stuff now and have been 100% pleased with their quality, waterproofing, vents, pockets, zippers, you name it. I've used the stuff in 100+ to 23 degree temps, rain, dry, over work clothes, and just underwear underneath........has performed great and about 1/2 price of the Aerostitch stuff. Not gonna' hear me knock the 'Stitch stuff, cause I think it's great, but this is another option........ :thumbsup:

As for the seam grip (sealant used on the zipper tapes), I find that having never done that, the water intrusion in minimal. It has never been enough to be a bother to me. I have experienced the "wet crotch" on a few rare occassions. And then, only after extended periods of continous rain (50+miles).

Topeka 800 and Lee 2002

Lee 2002,

I'm a Big Fan of the 'stich that I've had since '99 but the Fact is the Zipperd seams Are Not Sealed from the Factory, and there are Acres of them which is why it Doffs and Dons so quickly. Why the mfg seems to think that's just My Worry is bad design and lousy customer service. The marketplace has a way of sorting that out.

I'm Not setting myself up as THE SERIOUS LONG-DISTANCE DUDE, but I've ridden in Way More than 50 miles of rain in my 'stich and: Yep, she'll leak if not given the Serious Annual Waterproof Ritual.

Your reference to "wet crotch" gets mighty tiresome after 5 or 6 hours, especially as the temps dig into the 40F range and it's a 1,000 miles to home.

I'm going to keep up w/ The Annual Ritual until a better design appears; hopefully the folk in Duluth have it in test now before yet another American mfg disappears due to superior foreign competition.

Regards,

-VFR_ATL

• Member Contributer

I own a RC two piece. I commute except for below freezing weather. I road about 15K last year almost all of it comminuting. The RC is great. I stay totally dry in all but hard driving rain. In very hard rain after 45 minutes or more I get a little wet in the crotch. At my age follow employees just look at me with understanding eyes. With all the vents open I ride in 100 degree heat. With a wool flannel shirt and vents closed I am good down to freezing. OK I am very tolerant of temperature more so then most people. The easy on and off are the main things I like. Since I am not touring I could do with a lot fewer pockets. I always have my pants, with the ellipse, zipped to my jacket. I have the optional hip and street back pad. My next one will be a one piece, all the gear all the time. The one piece has less bulk around the waist. At 53 I already have too much bulk around the waist so I don’t need more from the RC two piece.

i wasn't willing to pay $800 for one, so i religiously checked ebay every day.

my trick? wait for someone with bad spelling to try and sell one.

aerostiTch is incorrect, yet for some reason, many people spell it that way. however, most only search for 'aerostich' - meaning that a mis-spelled item has fewer bids and sells for less.

i got one in my size (41 regular) in moderate shape for $210. the velcro's weak in several spots, and it smells like the old man i bought it from, but i've worn it every day for the last 2 years and i love it.

it recently went back to the shop for repairs (2 zippers failed), hopefully it'll be back soon.

• Member Contributer
If someone tells me that the 1-piece Roadcrafter fits into an OEM 6th gen hardbag, I'm going to be forced to go buy a lottery ticket. :joystick:

I haven't tried getting the RC into a VFR hardcase, but the suit will pack down smaller than you think. I've stuffed mine into an ST1100 hardcase, and a courier bag. Should fit in a Givi topcase. Sometimes I'll put a bicycle cable lock through one the arms and just lock it to the bike.

The RC won't disappoint as long as you realize that it's not a rain suit, or a summer-weight mesh jacket. Other than that, it can't be beat for convenience and versatility.

It's only expensive if you compare it to all the inferior products out there. Like a Shoei X-11 helmet, or Frey-Daytona boots, you've got to pay for the best. Also, most riders will have the suit through several bikes.

I've found great deals in the classifieds at ADVrider.com ($180 for near-new Darien pants); also watch Sport-Touring.net.

If someone tells me that the 1-piece Roadcrafter fits into an OEM 6th gen hardbag, I'm going to be forced to go buy a lottery ticket. :joystick:

I haven't tried getting the RC into a VFR hardcase, but the suit will pack down smaller than you think. I've stuffed mine into an ST1100 hardcase, and a courier bag. Should fit in a Givi topcase. Sometimes I'll put a bicycle cable lock through one the arms and just lock it to the bike.

The RC won't disappoint as long as you realize that it's not a rain suit, or a summer-weight mesh jacket. Other than that, it can't be beat for convenience and versatility.

It's only expensive if you compare it to all the inferior products out there. Like a Shoei X-11 helmet, or Frey-Daytona boots, you've got to pay for the best. Also, most riders will have the suit through several bikes.

I've found great deals in the classifieds at ADVrider.com ($180 for near-new Darien pants); also watch Sport-Touring.net.

I'd be looking to use it as a tool to expand my riding season. A lot of my riding is backroad commuting to work and taking 'the long way home'. I could pull it over my work clothes, starting earlier in the chilly rainy days of spring, and running later into this time of year with the cold and drizzle/flurries. Also on longer rides anytime. I have plenty of other gear to fill in the gaps; two-piece leather, perfed leathers, tex pants, etc.

I love my 1-pc, had it for 3.5 years with about 80K on it. But this year I ordered the 2-pc and didn't like the way it fit at all, returned it to them for full refund. They a great return policy. Although I did have to pay the shipping. My wife tried all kinds of stuff from them, 1-pc, 2-pc, ended up with the Roadcrafter jacket and the Darien pants with minor alterations. She loves them.

One of the big advantages of Aerostich is custom alterations. They can alter almost anything and are easy to work with.

If you purchase a roadcrafter and have made the commitment to keep it, you should wash it right away. I waited a year before I washed mine and found out that washing really softens up the suit. It's like a whole different suit when you wash out the crunchiness of a new Roadcrafter.

Aerostich suits are great for commuting, and for long distance touring. Most of the Iron Butt folks wear their gear because it works and lasts a long time.

• Member Contributer

The two piece Darian I had seemed very weather proof. I wanted a suit that I could wear around town AFTER a ride and the one piece AlpineStars suit I had was difficult to sit and eat dinner in. With the two piece suit I could take off the jacket and pretty much have a normal pair of pants to wear. And the pants were a PERFECT fit for my height and weight.

The fabric seemed a little stiff at first and there is NOT much body armor, but the sewn seams are taped and the zip are as weather resistant as I can imagine. It was great to have a perfect fit even if the price was really high.

Oh yea... when it rains really hard I park the bike for a while and get out of the storm.

• Member Contributer
Don't mean to crash this thread, and I know Aerostitch is great stuff (was gonna' buy a 1 pc.), but Olympia stuff is worth looking at.....I've got the Phantom 1pc. and AST 2pc. stuff now and have been 100% pleased with their quality, waterproofing, vents, pockets, zippers, you name it. I've used the stuff in 100+ to 23 degree temps, rain, dry, over work clothes, and just underwear underneath........has performed great and about 1/2 price of the Aerostitch stuff. Not gonna' hear me knock the 'Stitch stuff, cause I think it's great, but this is another option........ :thumbsup:

thanks for the Olympia referal. I was in the local BMW / Yamaha dealership at the weekend looking for alternate options. Great if Joe Rocket or Teknic is on your shopping list (not on mine as their jacket arms are way too short and I want a colour other than black, black or black for winter riding!).

Sales person said they had a new line from Olympia in the warehouse it would be out Tuesday. Now Wednesday and still isn't out until they've finished the annual stocktake. Was hoping to try the AST All Seasons Touring jacket & Ranger overpants assuming they have them.

Want 2pc gear for convienience / flexibility but still stuck on the 2 choices.

Feature___________Darien_____RC2

Zip Together________0_________1

Crash protection_____1_________1+

Waterproof_________1+________1

By my own ranking seems the RC just wins over Darien.

Why Aerostich can't just do the Darien kit that zips together or the RC that have the Darien style zip & waterproofness beats me.

Not disputing the cost, just for $800 I would expect to stay a bit dryer for longer.

Archived