Teknic Hurricane Boots

TimC

I bought 3 pairs of riding boots this year, and none of them fit me well enough to wear.

I've yet to try these on, but last night at a local shop I saw a pair I liked - Teknic Hurricane boots. They're described as a 'sneaker style' boot, not a race boot yet fairly protective and supposedly waterproof, too. Here's a link to Teknic's website page for these boots: http://www.teknicgear.com/catalog.php?styleid=1&pid=173

So, anyone here ever own/wear these boots? Just looking for some feedback before I plunk down $100 for a pair of these. Thanks in advance for your help, folks!

BTW, I'll probably have a few pair of boots for sale in the Classified section very soon, LOL.

I am always looking for a good boot. I am currently using a pair of Triumph boots that have been in the hands of at least 3 other people...and they are ok but don't fit like I would like.

Is there a reason a 9.5 can't have a boot that fits? I either have to go too big or too small.

If you try those boots, write up a report, same for the ones you bought and didn't like.

Try the Icon Motorheads if you are looking at a shorter boot.

Yeah, uh...that's one of the pair I bought. They fit but due to a minor heal issue I need boots to be a little more flexible than those are.

I cant help you on those boots but I did just get a pair of these

Setup Sunrise boots

Great boots & great price. The Sidi's seem to fit me well and. I need an All weather type of boot

I like the idea of taller boots, and in fact I bought a pair of Joe Rocket Reactor boots, but taller boots never close right around my calves, so I tend to stick with shorter ones. Also, the Reactors aren't waterproof. I hate the idea of having to worry about whether it's going to rain in order to choose which boot to wear.

Could you be more specific with you particular fit requirements? Its going to get a little long-winded to be guessing what might fit well and our experiences. I love my Gaerne ST drys but I have no idea if they'd fit you. Whats the deal with your ankle, your calf, etc?

Is there a reason a 9.5 can't have a boot that fits? I either have to go too big or too small.

Doesn't make sense to me. I thought boots had multiple/fractional sizes.

My current boots are SO comfy. The last ones were OK, but these are even better. The ones before that were a half-size small, so took about 3 years to get to almost fitting. My feet are wide and flat, so it's amazing to find a Urpeeen boot made from such a generous last.

Current ones are StylMartin StylSafe, and probably unavailable in Mrka. They are leather, 100% waterproof, and have calf adjustment on BOTH sides, as did my previous boots (StylMartin Strada). Like the previous boots, they also have ankle cups both sides. These ones go further though - they have an inner boot with six carbon-fibre panels AND a carbon-fibre shin guard.

The only thing they don't have is BLING. Decoration is limited to a StylMartin logo on the shinguard (hidden under my pants leg), and another under the heel. Plus there's a very discreet reflector built into the back.

Could you be more specific with you particular fit requirements? Its going to get a little long-winded to be guessing what might fit well and our experiences. I love my Gaerne ST drys but I have no idea if they'd fit you. Whats the deal with your ankle, your calf, etc?

It's mostly my right foot, but I have a condition called plantar fasciitis. Basically, it's an inflamation of the tissue that runs from the heel bone to the underside of the foot. When inflamed it's very painful to walk, and can last up to a couple weeks even after you start specific stretching exercises to help alleviate the condition.

I don't get this often, but walking in really stiff shoes brings it on. That's why I like boots that feel more like hiking boots, with some give but also with moderate protection.

Went to the local shop today where they have these Hurricane boots and tried on a size 45 (about a U.S. 11). The fit was pretty good, tho maybe a bit tight, but reasonable enough. OK to walk in for short distances, but the downside was that where the toe sliders are mounted I felt like my foot was being squeezed in. And I don't think they'd break in around there, so no go on the Hurricane boots. Thanks to those who chimed in on these.

I did also try on a pair of Teknic Violator waterproof boots and they actually fit pretty well. In fact, they were more comfortable than the Hurricanes. But at $263, compared to $100 for the Hurricanes, that's a big leap for me. Granted, one pair would probably last me for many years, but it's still a lot. I'll hold off for now and hope they have a winter sale at some point.

OTOH, I think I'm going to take a day trip down to the Iron Pony near Columbus, OH. They have a great selection of boots and reasonable prices, too. I know they have Violators on sale right now, but are out of 45s in red, tho they still have them in blue. Doesn't look like they have the waterproof version in stock. I'd also like to try on a few other boots they carry.

BTW, I checked NewEnough.com, too, but they don't have any great deals on boots I'm interested in at this time. Besides, I'd really rather try them on in-person than mail order and hope they fit right. I don't want to go thru getting ill-fitting boots again.

Guest vfrrider

It's mostly my right foot, but I have a condition called plantar fasciitis. Basically, it's an inflamation of the tissue that runs from the heel bone to the underside of the foot. When inflamed it's very painful to walk, and can last up to a couple weeks even after you start specific stretching exercises to help alleviate the condition.

I don't get this often, but walking in really stiff shoes brings it on. That's why I like boots that feel more like hiking boots, with some give but also with moderate protection.

Actually, with plantar fascitits, what you need are heel supports, not stiff boots. May I suggest that you find some boots that are a half size big, insert some Dr Scholls supports, and a pair of ridng socks (Doesn't everyeon use those long socks?), and try again. This will give your heels the supports they need, and maybe the rest of your foot will be happy.

Worth what you paid?

Larry

VFRRider

I bought 3 pairs of riding boots this year, and none of them fit me well enough to wear.

I've yet to try these on, but last night at a local shop I saw a pair I liked - Teknic Hurricane boots. They're described as a 'sneaker style' boot, not a race boot yet fairly protective and supposedly waterproof, too. Here's a link to Teknic's website page for these boots: http://www.teknicgear.com/catalog.php?styleid=1&pid=173

So, anyone here ever own/wear these boots? Just looking for some feedback before I plunk down $100 for a pair of these. Thanks in advance for your help, folks!

BTW, I'll probably have a few pair of boots for sale in the Classified section very soon, LOL.

i tried on some alpinestar svx boot size 9.5 they are pretty nice and comfy, a little bit of a pain to get on

one feature I luv, no velcro to wear out

Actually, with plantar fascitits, what you need are heel supports, not stiff boots. May I suggest that you find some boots that are a half size big, insert some Dr Scholls supports, and a pair of ridng socks (Doesn't everyeon use those long socks?), and try again. This will give your heels the supports they need, and maybe the rest of your foot will be happy.

Thanks for the advice, Larry!

Archived