Cortech Tribag Review - Plus New 18l Tank Bag

BonusVFR

• Member Contributer

I have been using the Cortech Tribag system for about three years now on 5th gen. I choose the larger setup over the sport bags because I am not as disciplined with packing. :goofy:

So far it has met all my expectations. I love all the pockets to stuff ........stuff I don't need.

med_gallery_2144_2760_205377.jpg

I have used all three bags on most tours, since I often pack a tent. All of the camping gear goes in the tailbag since I can unsnap it from the saddlebags and carry it to the camping site.

med_gallery_2144_2004_1727519.jpg

When loaded the tailbag works VERY well as a backrest too. It uses 4 clip/clamps/fittings to attach to saddlebags - very secure mount. :goofy:

2696083820099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

The right saddlebag carries riding gear I may need on the road and the street facing left bag gets the misc clothing etc.

Even when I don't camp, I end up carrying more cold weather gear which fills up the tailbag anyway.

med_gallery_2144_2341_894306.jpg

med_gallery_2144_2341_432807.jpg

Also I put the valuable crap in the tailbag so I can pull it and leave the underwear and other dirty stuff in the saddlebags for the night.................too much information you say. <_<

med_gallery_2144_2341_41720.jpg

I never have extra room.................Junk expands to the room availble regardless of the trip scenario. Like my garage!

I have been using a Ventura Rack (see motel parking above) to help steady the load and give me overflow room for pillows, my favorite teddy bear, and other soft stuff needed for older VFR citizens. Don't think the rack is an essential item.

med_gallery_2144_2004_283427.jpg

To help with the rear attachment points I have been using these dodads from Aerostich.

med_gallery_2144_2760_118233.jpg

On a couple of tours, I have just used to the saddlebags which worked great, but it seems like if I load the saddlebags invariably I snap on the tailbag too.

Next tailbag only

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a similar set-set up and love it..... :thumbsup:

Once they were cinched on, they simply didn't move. VERY, VERY well-designed. Even came with rain wraps, that I did end up needing. The wraps fit perfectly and again, didn't move even with the high winds that accompanied the rain.

I think they look pretty damn good on my bike, and would recommend them to anyone who doesn't want to buck up the cash for hardbags.

I use and love the Cortec Sport tail bag, it is always on the bike carrying everything I need to keep me going. I moved away from tank bags a year or two ago and am much happier. :thumbsup:

gallery_301_289_165019.jpg

Nov. 12th 06 ride 003.jpg

• Member Contributer
I have a similar set-set up and love it..... :thumbsup:

Once they were cinched on, they simply didn't move. VERY, VERY well-designed. Even came with rain wraps, that I did end up needing. The wraps fit perfectly and again, didn't move even with the high winds that accompanied the rain.

I think they look pretty damn good on my bike, and would recommend them to anyone who doesn't want to buck up the cash for hardbags./Users/nancy/Desktop/drive thru.jpg

Here is a better shot of how I secure/cinch the rear. Front ties go to supports for the foot pegs.

2112810230099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Looks are in the eyes of beholder! :D I like them toooooooo!

They don't look too bad/bag :goofy:

med_gallery_2144_2004_472059.jpg

They fit very close to the bike which is good for lane splitting .........on tour!

They have one significant advantage over hard bags..........when (not if) you drop you bike in the parking lot/whatever the thud is not bad and no scratches. :lol:

• Member Contributer
I use and love the Cortec Sport tail bag, it is always on the bike carrying everything I need to keep me going. I moved away from tank bags a year or two ago and am much happier. :thumbsup:

Do you have a better shot where you attach the bag?? Or maybe a better question how do you attach the tailbag?? Mine has four bungee cords in addition to the clipon thingamajigs which go to the saddlebags.

Do you have a better shot where you attach the bag?? Or maybe a better question how do you attach the tailbag?? Mine has four bungee cords in addition to the clipon thingamajigs which go to the saddlebags.

My Sargent seat has a built-in storage box on the bottom and I just hook all the bungee's together in the box and close the door so they can never come undone. The bag comes off with the seat! :thumbsup:

I have some soft bags also.

might be a bit off topic, but I want to upload a photo in my message...I'm still not sure how to do it even after reading the help section...any tips would be appreciated!

• Member Contributer

Great write up. Thanks for all the pics too.

I've been lusting after hard luggage all summer but it doesn't seem to be in the cards for me. I'm strongly considering this setup!

• Member Contributer
Great write up. Thanks for all the pics too.

I've been lusting after hard luggage all summer but it doesn't seem to be in the cards for me. I'm strongly considering this setup!

I have to say that if I had a 6th gen I would be sorely tempted too. But the soft bags do work and are reasonable $$$. Plus, I can use tail bag on my other bike. Shots coming.

But the 5th gen aftermarket hard bags stick out too far for my tastes and do not complement the styling as well as the 6th.

Shots of 6th Gen bags on loan from VFRD members

Thanks pbmax

gallery_12186_3289_63701.jpg

THanks MrPheer

And the RWB ............the reason to upgrade to a 6th............

vfrbags1.jpg

AND there is more illogical rationale - the soft saddlebags would fit this if I go that way. Good reason to buy a bike huh - I already have the bags!!!

4.jpg

• Member Contributer
might be a bit off topic, but I want to upload a photo in my message...I'm still not sure how to do it even after reading the help section...any tips would be appreciated!

Start with your favorite shot and try to put it in the VFRD gallery. When posting a reply ......use the Insert image icon and then paste the picture properties (right click on picture and you will find properties at the bottom) into dialog box.

med_gallery_2144_2004_1272652.jpg

Another Bonus moment on the road. 4 purple hearts and three wives or was the other way around. No mind it all hurts. :goofy:

med_gallery_2144_2004_320767.jpg

• Member Contributer

Anyone have these soft saddle bags on a 6th Gen? Can you still ride 2-up with these on the bike? Its hard to see from the pics how the bags actually attach, could the Cortech saddle bags be used with the Luggage Locker that grayflare has, that would be a nice combination.

I'd like to have more cargo space but am not really sold on the hard bags (even though they do look nice in MrPheer's pics).

• Member Contributer

I do like my soft bags. I have a set of Nelson-Rigg Silver Streak deluxe saddle bags. Great thing is that they move from bike to bike easily. Just need a proper tailbag and rack for all the camping gear. I don't know why, but the VFR just looks so much better when it has gear on it.

I have a simular set like Baileyrock, but without the Sargent seat. I have the same bag and removed the hooks and knotted the bungies togehter inside the bag. I pulled so hard, I doubt they will ever come undone. Since the knots are inside the bag, there is a little bulk that goes under the seat, just the bunggie strap. I just slide the bunggies and bag on the seat and lock the seat down. That's as secure as I can make it. With the seat locked, someone would have to cut the bunggies off to grab the bag. This set works well for me and the Corteck is a great bag. Good size and expandable. Combined with the tank bag, I didn't go with sattlebags.

I bought Firstgear's saddlebags and matching tailbag last spring and have been impressed with the quality of the bags. The only bad thing is it's been tough to figure out a way to mount them on my 6th gen. VFR without using extra bungees to keep the bags stable at highway speeds. The underseat exhaust cans tend to make securing the bags a little harder IMO.

I've considered selling out the big bucks for OEM hard bags but I'm still not ready to make that leap. I just don't think I'd use them enough (a couple times a year) to make them worth the expense. So I'll stick with the soft bags for now, using the large tailbag for one-day and overnight trips.

BTW, I might end up buying a Luggage Locker at some point. I dig the no-bungee look!

• Member Contributer
I have a simular set like Baileyrock, but without the Sargent seat. I have the same bag and removed the hooks and knotted the bungies togehter inside the bag. I pulled so hard, I doubt they will ever come undone. Since the knots are inside the bag, there is a little bulk that goes under the seat, just the bunggie strap. I just slide the bunggies and bag on the seat and lock the seat down. That's as secure as I can make it. With the seat locked, someone would have to cut the bunggies off to grab the bag. This set works well for me and the Corteck is a great bag. Good size and expandable. Combined with the tank bag, I didn't go with sattlebags.

This is what I call ..............A good idea!

Both the Sport and the regular Tailbag have snap attachments to hook direct to saddlebags and the bungee cord/hooks for separate use.

I have been using the Cortech Tribag system for about three years now on 5th gen. ...

I noticed that you have the Ventura rack. Have you tried their bag system?

TIA

• Member Contributer

Now for the Tailbag only

h_rl_black.jpg

As mentioned above, both Tailbags (sport and regular) have two separate ways to attach it. There are the four snaps/clamps/fastners for quick connection to the Cortech saddlebags. Additionally, the tailbag also has four bungee cords for attaching the bag directly to the bike.

On my first trip with the just the tailbag it worked well and was stable with just the bungee cords. I ran the cords to the rear pegs brace and my Aerostich loops on the rear. I like the Blue Os idea above.

One Overnights worth plus lots of unneeded gear and misc crap.

2723458120099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

The VFR is a capable dirt bike too especially with knobbbbbies. <_< Great breakfast in Ocotillo Wells ....Dirt Bike Heaven

2968570630099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

I use the tailbag on my other bike for overflow and/or one place for all my camping stuff. Take it off the seat and you are ready to go. The Regular TailBag holds, tent, thermarest and sleeping bag plus other camping gear.

Fits on the rear throne nicely and you can still open the TRUNK to get to the frig/MicroWave and Bose/DirectTV/LCD wide screen and Xbox Entertainment Game Center

2804372500099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

The rain cover is on here. Fits nicely as well and also supplements the stock seat as a back rest. BTW this is the owner of the best BBQ in CO. Where you ask?

2232632510099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks for the posting info Bonus.....I'm going to give a try now.....

Here's my set-up from a recent trip up north to the petrified forest and Springerville, AZ. 4 days of blissful, backroad riding. Didn't hit the freeway once..... :thumbsup:

gallery_10551_3429_53378.jpg

petrified forest .jpg

gallery_10551_3429_3071.jpg

drive thru.jpg

gallery_10551_3429_46551.jpg

northern AZ.jpg

• Member Contributer
I have been using the Cortech Tribag system for about three years now on 5th gen. ...

I noticed that you have the Ventura rack. Have you tried their bag system?

TIA

I have the Ventura bag too. I originally bought the system because I thought it would also serve as a backrest for my Wife. NO!

I use the Ventura mounts and the tail rack with my Cortech. Basically I like my loads lower and the saddlebags/tailbag do that for me.

I hate to admit but I also like the looks of the Cortech better. I tried using all three systems together but I could not stand how big the ASS of my bike was with the Ventura Bag hanging over the end.

• Member Contributer
Thanks for the posting info Bonus.....I'm going to give a try now.....

Here's my set-up from a recent trip up north to the petrified forest and Springerville, AZ. 4 days of blissful, backroad riding. Didn't hit the freeway once..... :thumbsup:

gallery_10551_3429_53378.jpg

petrified forest .jpg

gallery_10551_3429_3071.jpg

drive thru.jpg

gallery_10551_3429_46551.jpg

northern AZ.jpg

You are welcome. Another Cortech Tailbag view on AZ191 heading North to Springerville. One of the great MC roads in America!! No camping on this trip but no room in those bags. :offtopic:

med_gallery_2144_2341_430052.jpg

I agree....we do have some awesome roads here in AZ....not to mention year-round riding.... :rolleyes:

If you're ever up north, and just outside of Springerville, there is a great state park where you can rent a cabin or a yurt. I opted for the yurt at $35.00 a night....near the lake....equipped with 2 futons, chairs and a table...even a ceiling fan & skylight! I did day trips from there and enjoyed cold ones at night on the "patio"....Place is called Lyman Lake State Park.

java script:add_gallery(%22gallery_10551_3429_6675.jpg\r\nI\

Good pics and review. I'm headed towards picking up a set of those Cortech Tribags!

Either that or just get an OEM topcase with ken's mounting bracket...decisions..decisions....what to do?

VERY VERY interesting thought process.........

i think i have a pair of gloves that match an extra

07 CBR1000RR, in red of course.

REALLY THO ~ thanks for the write-up

AND there is more illogical rationale - the soft saddlebags would fit this if I go that way. Good reason to buy a bike huh - I already have the bags!!!

4.jpg

• Member Contributer
VERY VERY interesting thought process.........

i think i have a pair of gloves that match an extra

07 CBR1000RR, in red of course.

REALLY THO ~ thanks for the write-up

4.jpg

And Honey the bike has all the latest safety stuff on it..........................

Red Gloves work too!

CBR1000RR_Red_Black.jpg

Archived