Cortech Tribag Review - Plus New 18l Tank Bag

BonusVFR

• Member Contributer
Someone posted this question above but no one seemed to answer. Does the Cortech Tri-bag system fit (and not get fried) on a 6th gen? I have the bags from my Z750S days and haven't tried them on the VFR yet. Do the they scuff up anything on the bike?

I bought a set at Christmas for my '07. I have only done a test fit so far, you will need to get creative to get the saddle bags down tight but they should stay put without much trouble. The bags also have a nice pad on the back to prevent damage to the rear painted covers, not sure if it will prefent a lot of scuffing if you have the bags on alot though. Mine were actually missing one of the protection pads, waiting for it to come in now, then i will mount them again and give them a try, will post pics once I get them on.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet mole skin would work great for paint protection. It has a sticky backing to stick to the bag, and is soft and smoothe on the otherside. If it protects skin, it should work for paint to.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Get ready for summer touring. My latest soft bag mod which I tested last summer. I added a walmart cheap ass cooler or equivalent and put it on the rear Ventura rack.

Houses cold drinks and more importantly a ice soaked cooling vest for when you drop down 8000 ft into the valleys.

2918025920099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

med_gallery_2144_3988_392280.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Another update on my Cortech soft bag setup. With over 5 years on the bags they continue to perform admirably.

Well I just did another adventure.........this time into Canada. Unlike my numerous Sierra tours and other Western jaunts it rained :cool: I must be spoiled.....ya think?

Despite my scrupulous attention to the posted speed limits in British Columbia, I had a difficult time keeping the rain covers secure. And I hardly ever exceeded the posted limit of 100. :wheel:

gallery_2144_4694_427210.jpg

Looks like before my next trip I will be fitting some extra tie downs on the rain covers............some kind of grommet dodads. After a steady day of rain I think I need more protection even with the rain covers on securely. Some of my stuff was a bit damp. Most likely I will store my crap in watertight inner bags in addition to the modded rain covers. Of course plastic trash bags (as some have suggested) would certainly work just as well but I may opt for some waterproof compression bags.

I have a Stauntune hi-mount. Will these work around that or will I need to do some creative installation mods for that?

Thanks,

Dan

I too am wondering if they will work . I have Staintune high mount on my 5gen and do not want to burn the contents or the bag itself. Anyone out there with a pic or info on these saddle bags and high mounts.

I have a similar set-set up and love it..... :thumbsup:

Once they were cinched on, they simply didn't move. VERY, VERY well-designed. Even came with rain wraps, that I did end up needing. The wraps fit perfectly and again, didn't move even with the high winds that accompanied the rain.

I think they look pretty damn good on my bike, and would recommend them to anyone who doesn't want to buck up the cash for hardbags.

The exhaust on your 06 is not an issue or did you do anything to shield your bags from the heat?

• Member Contributer
I do like my soft bags. I have a set of Nelson-Rigg Silver Streak deluxe saddle bags. Great thing is that they move from bike to bike easily. Just need a proper tailbag and rack for all the camping gear. I don't know why, but the VFR just looks so much better when it has gear on it.

I have the same set and added the SS tail bag last year before the Catskills run, too. Very nice, clean look with plenty of storage and ways to bungee more stuff during longer rides.

Here's a pic of the bags on my old Kat... they look even better on the blonde.

CatskillsTrip004.jpg

• Member Contributer
I have been using the Cortech Tribag system for about three years now on 5th gen. I choose the larger setup over the sport bags because I am not as disciplined with packing. :biggrin:

So far it has met all my expectations. I love all the pockets to stuff ........stuff I don't need.

:fing02: Crotech system, meny years and going strong!!! Will be at "Summer Summit"

gallery_8868_2008_50059.jpg

My Little Pack Mule

2007 MotoGP

gallery_8868_2008_8098.jpg

2008 MotoGP on the way home, HWY 1

Stephen

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well after yet another tour on my Cortech bags .............I made modifications to my tour setup.

I put in a couple of grommets on the top of each saddle bag rain cover. Using a thingy, I am able to better secure the covers, which are suspect at SPEED.

2779844470099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

I also put on my Ventura bag to see if it works to clean up the clutter, especially when camping. Plenty of room for more crap toooooooo!

2974787740099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

I probably will use this setup on my next tour. Although this mod will certainly validate an universal tour maxim. Junk expands to the room available...more crap. :laugh:

Speed Tests ...on highway 94 San Diego a couple of miles from my house. Not bad for 12 months a year and right out the back door ............but a little brown this time of year.

med_gallery_2144_2760_380357.jpg

My mods work ...............the rain covers stay on. No need for additional security on the tail bag as that rain cover stays put.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Just an update on my Cortech luggage. Still going strong.

Tried my bags out on an extended tour of Alaska on my KLR.

2280180840099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Instead of using my nylon side covers, I cleaned and then soaked my bags with Scotchguard prior to the trip. I also used separate smaller camping sealed waterproof bags (sea to summit) to store items in the Cortech bags. This had the side benefit of segregating stuff in the luggage. It rained every F..... day except for one :beatdeadhorse:

On the way to Haines.........balmy at 41 degrees with 20 knots of wind....humidity ...high!

2960284340099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

My stuff was dry!!!! :fing02: :beer:

2170854430099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer

You have got to be one of the most envied members that post! How do you find so much time to tour on your beloved bike? Keep it up...I like to read your reports and reviews. Myself, I have some hard Givi 35's that came on my 2004. I'm trying to add a used topcase as we speak. I'm thinking of getting some of your Cortech's for my girlfriends's Kawi 650R. Do you have a link or model numbers for the bags you use? Thanks.

• Member Contributer

You have got to be one of the most envied members that post! How do you find so much time to tour on your beloved bike? Keep it up...I like to read your reports and reviews. Myself, I have some hard Givi 35's that came on my 2004. I'm trying to add a used topcase as we speak. I'm thinking of getting some of your Cortech's for my girlfriends's Kawi 650R. Do you have a link or model numbers for the bags you use? Thanks.

http://tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/TriBag-Saddlebag-p-146_31.html

It is easy when you are moslty unemployed :laughing6-hehe: The downside is that I did not want to know how much I spent in Alaska even going cheap...real cheap!

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Well my Cortech stuff is still going strong. Camping in Borrego in January.

med_gallery_2144_2760_462107.jpg

Frankly, I am investigating hard bag options for a VFR border to border or trancontinental ride this summer.

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Well I pulled the trigger on some hardbags. Most folks know the pros and cons of softbags compared to the hard stuff but when I complete my next tour I will know for sure....maybe :cheerleader:

Report to follow. And my tour medicinal hard stuff should be safer :idea3:

med_gallery_2144_2760_1153479.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

anyone have more detailed pics that show exactly how the saddles attach to the bike?

And for the ones that have been using them for a while, do the rubber protection things that go against the sides of the bike's tail damage the paint?

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

anyone have more detailed pics that show exactly how the saddles attach to the bike?

And for the ones that have been using them for a while, do the rubber protection things that go against the sides of the bike's tail damage the paint?

Thanks!

I ran one of the straps under the seat on my 5th gen. I also added tape to the sides of the VFR to aid in protection. Never had an issue with paint damage on my 99.

Thanks!

I ran one of the straps under the seat on my 5th gen. I also added tape to the sides of the VFR to aid in protection. Never had an issue with paint damage on my 99.

Thanks. Mr. Brown just delivered today! I'll see how they fit this weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

so the bags rub against the Leos.

I'll have to jerry rig something to keep the bags away from the pipes.

here is my solution. tested this week with a 550 mile ride.

DSC03385.jpg

aluminum flat bars attached with screws from the passenger foot pegs to the screws holding the license plate.

worked fine just to keep the bags from touching the Leo cans.

Archived