Cortech Tribag Review - Plus New 18l Tank Bag

BonusVFR

I agree....we do have some awesome roads here in AZ....not to mention year-round riding.... :rolleyes:

If you're ever up north, and just outside of Springerville, there is a great state park where you can rent a cabin or a yurt. I opted for the yurt at $35.00 a night....near the lake....equipped with 2 futons, chairs and a table...even a ceiling fan & skylight! I did day trips from there and enjoyed cold ones at night on the "patio"....Place is called Lyman Lake State Park.

java script:add_gallery(%22gallery_10551_3429_6675.jpg\r\nI\

Hey, congrats on your picture posting abilities! :thumbsup:

Some extra script there, but it works! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Better shot of the Ventura Rack. Besides the extra space for overflow the saddlebags mostly ride on the rack frame and seat which helps keep my paint pruuuutttttty!

med_gallery_2144_2760_226411.jpg

Better shot of the Ventura Rack. Besides the extra space for overflow the saddlebags mostly ride on the rack frame and seat which helps keep my paint pruuuutttttty!

Hey, what is the gray box around your bike????? :unsure:

j/k :sleep:

I have been using the Cortech Tribag system for about three years now on 5th gen. ...

I noticed that you have the Ventura rack. Have you tried their bag system?

TIA

...I tried using all three systems together but I could not stand how big the ASS of my bike was with the Ventura Bag hanging over the end.

LOL, that's what I think when I see hard bags on a VFR.

• Member Contributer

Hey, what is the gray box around your bike????? :unsure:

j/k :goofy:

I have to go back and check my records and GPS logs to see exactly what that box is..................but I think that is my favorite MC support system.

The same thing I used to pack up my valuables/wife for the latest SoCal fire exercise. :pissed:

I like my truck! :beer:

After many years in the Navy, I learned that my feelings are very important. You may require some sensitivity training/awareness. :lol: VFRD may be sponsoring classes in your area?

When I went through lovely Phoenix this August, the temp did drop to about 112 in this sandstorm (the sun was gone you know). But.........IT is DRY HEAT! Maybe the AZ riders can jump in .........with how many days in a row they had over 110..........I think over 30.

Anyway, even the AC on my Wing is not as good as my Silverado/Truck!

2151902020099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

If you ride thru the desert you do see larger native species though!

med_gallery_2144_2341_85170.jpg

The views and corners on I8 and 10 are right up there at the top of the list. This is no dessert and better to eat in the cab. :sleep:

med_gallery_2144_2341_246073.jpg

• Member Contributer

A couple more things I have noticed about the Cortech Tailbag and packing camping gear.

Initially when MC camping, I used my well used car camping stuff assembled over the years. The problem is not the weight but the packing size.

I could barely carry this tent on the Wing.

2329226230099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

And note the bungees needed to hold down the gear. Much better to stuff all the stuff in one bag and then be able to carry the whole lot to the site.

First off to fit in the Cortech bag, you need to keep the sleeping pads to about 20 inches across. The car camping pads tend to be at least 25 which is too big. I even tried a three quarter length pad but that really only saves weight and I traded back up to a full 72 inch pad.

Secondly when looking at tents obviously small is better but just as importantly look at the section length of the poles which are the limiter on cramming into confined spaces. For example, soft bags seem to give better than my Wing bags for some reason.

In other words, look at how the poles fold up. I use a North Face Tadpole tent (2 man which barely fits one fat guy) and you can stuff that tent anywhere as the individual pole section length is so short. Cheaper tents can be just as small but the poles sections are usually longer.

2518349980099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

There is another reason I went with North Face …………my bro runs the New England sales operation. :thumbsup:

A duck feather sleeping bag compacts to almost nothing which means it is the last in.

• Member Contributer

Touring Florida w/ my Oxford luggage.

Strong magnets on the tank bag (good for leaning on while riding).

Strong velcro, bungees and clips for the tail bag and paniers.

I sold my TL1000R and bought the VFR with the specific interest of doing some touring while keeping the emphasis on sport riding.

The VFR fits the bill, and the Oxford luggage is expandable, roomy and durable.

Feb19259.jpg

Feb19270.jpg

Feb19285.jpg

Columbia Sportsgear made my tailbag... 50 bucks at Overstock.com... :wheel:

You can fit a LOT in one of those, but it is a huge bag to cart around... :beer: I filled it with a sleeping bag, tent, atlas, dirty laundry, & extra gloves in the main compartment, two 1-liter bottles of water(always!) in one side, and misc. stuff I would pick up along the way on the other. It was very securely strapped to the bike with one lonely bungee net, the 6-hook type. Four hooks went to the grab bars, and one to each of the handles on the sides of the bag. Waterproof for the most part, and speed tested. I made this 'system' expandable by picking up a second bungee net in Tucson, it held my helmet and jacket on occasion...

It looks bulky, but I didn't care. Didn't affect the handling of the bike by much, and didn't hurt my gas mileage. Having everything that you want with you and secure, when you're 3500+ miles away from home and out in the boondocks, PRICELESS!

gallery_5444_2144_32915.jpg

Kansas rest stop... with a tree!!.jpg

gallery_5444_2144_569897.jpg

Glory shot.jpg

gallery_5444_2144_57286.jpg

Monarch Pass.jpg

gallery_5444_2144_457850.jpg

Feeling like a million dollars.jpg

gallery_5444_2144_296545.jpg

Outside Kayenta 2.jpg

gallery_5444_2144_1602048.jpg

Self-explanatory! At the Grand Canyon

gallery_5444_2144_914701.jpg

Flagstaff Looked nice!

gallery_5444_2144_511101.jpg

Riding through a copper mining area..jpg

gallery_5444_2144_38624.jpg

Marla's.jpg Pizza on 191

gallery_5444_2144_531960.jpg

Grand Canyon!.jpg

gallery_5444_2144_295143.jpg

Living on the edge on Rt. 191.jpg

gallery_5444_2144_24197.jpg

Kevin and I heading out for breakfast.jpg Yes, it's early in the morning, and yes, that's dog sh!t on my back tire.

gallery_5444_2144_2192.jpg

Coronado Trail.jpg

gallery_5444_2144_317573.jpg

USA TOUR 2006 092.jpg On Route 66, heading west in New Mexico

Thanks for the pic whoring opportunity! :goofy:

Big! :wheel:

Big bag for a big trip.... :goofy:

:goofy:

With the hard bags, gives lots of options. Big pad tooooooooooo!!!

I had no pad... I had a cut garbage bag to use as a ground cloth, the tent, and the sleeping bag. And I ended up only camping one night out of 12. :squid:

• Member Contributer
Big! :wheel:

Big bag for a big trip.... :goofy:

:goofy:

With the hard bags, gives lots of options. Big pad tooooooooooo!!!

I had no pad... I had a cut garbage bag to use as a ground cloth, the tent, and the sleeping bag. And I ended up only camping one night out of 12. :squid:

!

Where do you put the burgers!

I could not camp without a pad.........too old. <_< I have been through an air matress and four pads looking for perfect combo - worse than sleeping on a PBR on some river in Vietnam!!!!!

I usually camp about 50% of the time. But prefer less. The best option is to inivite myself over to a "friends" place. I should do a thread on best scores on bumming a place for the night!

I see good reports on these bags from Motofiz/Aerostich. Come in all sizes.

MotofizzBags_All.jpg

But as long as I have the Cortechs I will stick with their tailbag as attaching it is so easy and secure/stable. 4 snaps and you are ready to go.

And another thing before I forget - get some real steal/steel tent pegs to replace some of those lightweight but fragile AL pegs on the good tents. Nice to have when the wind blows.

And another thing before I forget - get some real steal/steel tent pegs to replace some of those lightweight but fragile AL pegs on the good tents. Nice to have when the wind blows.

My Wal-mart special tent came with steel stakes(steaks?). :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

My Wal-mart special tent came with steel stakes(steaks?). :thumbsup:

The backpackers fret about the weight but I complain about the bending of those high tech AL stakes.

Wally World for all my MC needs. :huh: Got a 3.5mm extension cord for $7 for my Zumo from Sam Waltons store...................on the internet from the specialty MC electronics shops, I could get it for $25+. Lights, oil, batteries, antifreeze wiring, and camping btoo !

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

New Tourmaster Cortech Tank Bag

Ms Santa was hard pressed to top the Zumo I found under the tree last year, but the Super 18 liter tank bag Cortech is a close second. :idea3:

2149670140099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Finally after some eight years on the road my first generation Tourmaster Tank bag is being retired. It has served me well.

med_gallery_2144_2760_98889.jpg

I use the bag by itself often and especially in the winter/fall when I need extra layers.

2723458120099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

And on tour for misc crap that I may need

med_gallery_2144_2760_205377.jpg

Now on to the new stuff. :D The 18 liter is not even on the Tourmaster/Cortech website but it looks like the 14 liter except for more pockets on the sides and added capacity. The engineers/marketers really delivered some key tour features.

Among them:

• Rain cover built in so you can never forget or fail to find it (in a storm of course)………..the cape just pulls over from the front and is attached so it will never blow off!!!!!!!!!
  • Built in straps in case you need to carry the bag on your back to make only one run to the tent/hotel. Still has the handle too.
  • Has room and pouch for a 35 liter camelback bladder with exit hose connection
  • Ditto for wires for stuff that needs 12V juice in your tank bag – cell etc
  • Extra pockets/padding everywhere for do dads, glasses, maps etc
  • Expands as needed.

This is a first rate product and it is less obtrusive at full lock than the old bag. Looks like I will need the longest RAM arm for sure with my Zumo as it sits a touch higher.

• 3 weeks later...

gallery_4345_2447_723089.jpg

IMG_2900.JPG

That was my setup for my 3-4 day weekend trip to Deals Gap. I brought plenty of stuff I didn't have to use (b/c I brought it....murphy's law likes me) and had plenty of room. It was a awesome trip. So far motopak has impressed me. I really like Cortech/tourmaster's stuff too tho :thumbsup: Cant go wrong with either :joystick:

• Member Contributer

I have a Stauntune hi-mount. Will these work around that or will I need to do some creative installation mods for that?

Thanks,

Dan

• Member Contributer
I have a Stauntune hi-mount. Will these work around that or will I need to do some creative installation mods for that?

Thanks,

Dan

Don't have a great shot showing clearance but I will look more. I have the stock setup and I have enough room ..........wonder about the high mount though????????

med_gallery_2144_2341_432807.jpg

• Member Contributer

Another clearance shot ............Yosemite

med_gallery_2144_2004_155860.jpg

Don't think these bags will fit but Tourmaster/Cortech has a Sport bag setup which is a bit smaller. I always carry too much crap anyway!

I ran the same three piece set up on my 94 VFR. It worked great on tour. I did learn to place everything inside a heavy duty trash compactor plastic bag inside each unit or items got wet in any long pounding rain, even with the rain covers.

• Member Contributer

I ran the same three piece set up on my 94 VFR. It worked great on tour. I did learn to place everything inside a heavy duty trash compactor plastic bag inside each unit or items got wet in any long pounding rain, even with the rain covers.

I am beginning to sorrow on this photograph ...............especially since Skutter started his whole "Chicken Strips" thread.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=39013

No way I can win on this one. Say I am candy ass, which I am or admit that I changed both tires just before this trip which is a tour no no. Less than 10 miles on these babies enough to see that there were no "apparent" problems with my mounting/balancing job. At least ride 100 miles boy! Oh one other thing, I put my bike in the grey box to get to the start of the tour.

It is best to get it all out - now I feel better. Gotta run Oprah is on soon. :idea3:

Someone posted this question above but no one seemed to answer. Does the Cortech Tri-bag system fit (and not get fried) on a 6th gen? I have the bags from my Z750S days and haven't tried them on the VFR yet. Do the they scuff up anything on the bike?

Archived