Regulator Rectifier

Guest quickjohn

Guest quickjohn

Well I'm on the second regulator rectifier for my 99 VFR . It's a Honda replacment part and I was curious if there are any aftermarket units which last a little longer. Also who makes a good replacement front fork spring for a 200 pound rider ?

• Member Contributer
Did he make an new RR, or just the "vfrness" upgraded wiring harness? If he made a complete new RR, I'd love to see the details.

He has done both, http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...=35047&st=0, the post has been purged so it's easier to read now.

Some of the Shindengen R/Rs you can get as aftermarket units are actually a bit better then the ones Honda buys from them. But you're still left with crappy wiring, unless you rewire or buy the "VFRness".

I hate to feel dumb, I have always been told if you don't know something

ask. So, whats the deal are the wires not large enough on the larger VFR's?

I hate to feel dumb, I have always been told if you don't know something

ask. So, whats the deal are the wires not large enough on the larger VFR's?

tons of posts on this....first thought was not large enough wire, but now it seems more symptom then issue....real problem seems to be that the there is a feedback wire that goes through several connectors on its way to monitoring the battery voltage. bad connections cause the feedback voltage to drop, the r/r kicks up the voltage to accomodate even though it really doesn't need to as the battery voltage is fine. continues doing this until things start getting fried by the higher voltage.

ken, one of our friendly kanucks found a fix for this issue and posted it

search on "monitor wire" or "rr" or "r/r" or "beef up the wires" or "6th gen electrical problems"

The '99 doesn't have the feedback wire to the battery like the 6th generation bikes have.

However, the 5th generation bikes seem to have a heating problem with the R/R and that is why I added the fan.

Also, the stock wire harness has inferior connectors and the wires are too small. This is the shameful negative of an

otherwise very sweet machine. IMHO.

• Member Contributer
Also, the stock wire harness has inferior connectors and the wires are too small. This is the shameful negative of an

Preachin to the Choir buddy.

Did he make an new RR, or just the "vfrness" upgraded wiring harness? If he made a complete new RR, I'd love to see the details.

He has done both, http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...=35047&st=0, the post has been purged so it's easier to read now.

The R/R is not my making (I don't have the equipment for that), but rather an upgraded OEM design that Ricks makes. Much heavier casting, runs a LOT cooler. Add to that the better wiring from the VFRness and I think we have a winner.

I'm not too sure how easy or hard the R/R on the larger bikes

are to get to, but for mine I got the new Honda part which does

have larger heat sinks vs the older ones that didn't have this. I

had an aftermarket that didn't go bad, so what I did was install

both. One is on the top of the subframe in the rear the other is

mounted on the underside in the same place. If it goes out while

I am on the road all I have to do is pull over, take the under tail

off and then plug in the back up. On my bike you can tell when

they fail because the gauges start acting funny. Like stated before

you can install a volt meter and know right away. But being I

already had two I just put them both on the bike.

The '99 doesn't have the feedback wire to the battery like the 6th generation bikes have.

However, the 5th generation bikes seem to have a heating problem with the R/R and that is why I added the fan.

yep, you're right. i looked on his sig to see what gen he had. missed it in his post. sorry.

Archived