$845 For A Burnt Connector. I Think Not.

Guest Jonchilds

Guest Jonchilds

I had the wiring plug that connects the stator to my R/R melt on me thursday night, so I've done the run around looking for a new plug this morning.

I was quite appalled when I found out the quote from Honda is approximately $845 if I want to put the original plug back on - for the PART ONLY. Fitting is additional...

Well, it's not actually the connector that's expensive, just the parts that come standard with it - the stator and R/R.

Honda Australia won't sell these plugs (which are Honda-only as far as all the electrical stores are telling me) without the attached accessories, even though both units on my bike are in working order.

My fix has been to use a 30A ceramic screw terminal strip in place of the connector which cost me about $1.70 and took ~30mins to fit.

I'm just a little peeved that Honda don't sell OEM connectors, even though their bikes have a record of electrical problems.

I had the wiring plug that connects the stator to my R/R melt on me thursday night, so I've done the run around looking for a new plug this morning.

I was quite appalled when I found out the quote from Honda is approximately $845 if I want to put the original plug back on - for the PART ONLY. Fitting is additional...

Well, it's not actually the connector that's expensive, just the parts that come standard with it - the stator and R/R.

Honda Australia won't sell these plugs (which are Honda-only as far as all the electrical stores are telling me) without the attached accessories, even though both units on my bike are in working order.

My fix has been to use a 30A ceramic screw terminal strip in place of the connector which cost me about $1.70 and took ~30mins to fit.

I'm just a little peeved that Honda don't sell OEM connectors, even though their bikes have a record of electrical problems.

I know here in the states we can get all but the 2002+ version, which I haven't found yet. It can be replaced by an older version if you change both sides, so no harm done there.

Check your sensor wire voltage, it might be low causing too much work from your system.

Guest Jonchilds

It's more likely to be corrosion that caused the failure in my opinion, which got topped off by an extended stint at 105-110'c in traffic.

Sensor wire and other 'problems' were fixed when I had other electrical issues earlier this year.

• Member Contributer

Try this website: http://www.cyclewareables.com/

It's a little difficult to navigate but I've found just about every single connector I could ever want there. I have a mini collection of connectors and terminal ends from them now. My last few turnsignal and lighting swaps look like factory setups because I didn't have to just splice and solder.

wouldnt this get replaced with the recall?

Good question HS, half would be replaced only if they replace the Main harness. Don't know if they consider damage to this area (R/R) of the harness as being related to the ground wire recall (IF DAMAGE IS FOUND) and hence be covered or not???

"DEALERS WILL INSTALL A RE-DESIGNED SUB-HARNESS. IF DAMAGE IS FOUND, THE MAIN WIRING HARNESS WILL ALSO BE REPLACED FREE OF CHARGE"

Guest Jonchilds

The recall doesn't apply to Australian bikes - or atleast I've heard nothing of it locally, and I was at a Honda dealer last weekend for a new sprocket.

I've cut the connectors off, and put a ceramic terminal strip in it's place. Charging voltages aren't bad, if a little low at idle.

14.6V when over 2500rpm, and a slight drain on the battery at 1500rpm with low beam and the engine fan running.

Sensor wire and other 'problems' were fixed when I had other electrical issues earlier this year.

Could be the understatement of the year.

The recall doesn't apply to Australian bikes - or atleast I've heard nothing of it locally, and I was at a Honda dealer last weekend for a new sprocket.

Does anyone know - what is the difference between Australian and US bikes that excludes ours from the recall?

I don't remember seeing anything about it on OzVFR (down atm).

• Member Contributer
Does anyone know - what is the difference between Australian and US bikes that excludes ours from the recall?

Probably not enough complaints.

• Member Contributer

Don't you guys get the Euro models? There may be some differences within the electrical architechture.

Guest Jonchilds

We get Japanese manufactured bikes (atleast I have a japanese VIN).

I don't think any company will recall a component unless they have to. In Oz, there's probably not enough bikes living in 'corrosive' weather or conditions like some of our american/euro counterparts.

Archived