Wtb A Heavier Rear Spring?

magellan

• Member Contributer

Hi all,

My wife and I ride two-up all the time with 6th gen side bags and Givi-knock-off top box, and although I've upgraded to a 929 rear shock, I'm still at a stock spring rate, one click off max preload. It's time to beef it up. I weigh 180 and she weighs 135, so I figure we weigh 360-380 with loaded luggage. Suggestion for spring rate and where to get one?

Thanks!

Hi all,

My wife and I ride two-up all the time with 6th gen side bags and Givi-knock-off top box, and although I've upgraded to a 929 rear shock, I'm still at a stock spring rate, one click off max preload. It's time to beef it up. I weigh 180 and she weighs 135, so I figure we weigh 360-380 with loaded luggage. Suggestion for spring rate and where to get one?

Thanks!

no suggestion on rate, but hypercoil would be the place to go

Anyone know what the specs are for a stock 929 spring? Length, inside diameter, stock rate? Is the a place I can look up such info?

Same as the VFR, 15.3 kg or aprox 858 lbs. :thumbsup:

At 190 lbs I run a 19kg(1056lbs) rear spring just for solo rip'en. Do you always ride double ?

I would buy a 18-19 kg rear spring and .90 kg fronts and you'll be much happier solo or two up! :thumbsup:

Any standard after market 2.250 ID spring will work, You'll have to be more exact of spring length in order to use the stock 929 pre-load adjuster.

If the bike is only used for two-up touring with bags, I would go .95 front and between 19-20 kg rear. :thumbsup:

ps do Not just stiffen the rear, you need to change both for the beat and safest results.

Anyone know what the specs are for a stock 929 spring? Length, inside diameter, stock rate? Is the a place I can look up such info?

Use the search function! :goofy:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :P

To quote myself from a post in another thread (here):

The free length of the stock 929 rear spring is about 6 7/16 inches.

So, I would probably go with a 1092 Ohlins spring if I were you.

Loni, you should contact that Ohlins Spring guy on ebay and see if he's still selling Ohlins springs. The 1092 springs are 170mm (6 11/16 inches) long. So you'd probably want that spring around 18 kg, no stiffer. Because the Ohlins are 0.3" longer than the stock 929 spring, you'll have extra preload. If you go with a spring rate too high (like I did with the 1099 spring on the 6th gen stock shock, see here), you may find yourself topping out the shock. :goofy:

Don't forget to get matching fork springs too! :goofy:

EDIT: Hmm, just read in the Ebay Ohlins Spring thread that the seller has scrapped all the springs. <_<

i am 270 lbs and using an 18kg on my f4 shock. it is plenty stiff at only 1/2 setting on preload. cant imagine you would need more than that as i am set at 25mm sag for hard twisty riding

• 1 month later...

Where to buy Hyperco springs? hrpworld.com.

A Hyperco spring is a Hyperco spring is a Hyperco spring. There ain't no such thing as a motorcycle spring or a car spring when dealing with Hyperco springs. These guys specialize in sports car suspension parts and are Hyperco and Penske dealers. They sell Hyperco springs for $66.95 and ship them for $8.95.

There are only three variables to a Hyperco spring:

1. Length

2. Internal diameter

3. Spring rate

If you know what you want, you can save $33 per spring going to them as opposed to one of the motorcycle suspension speciality shops.

BTW, Penske shocks use either a 6" or 7" spring (most common is the 6" length). The spring needed for a Penske is 2.25" ID. You won't believe the range of spring rates available.

To convert lbs/in to kg/mm, simply divide by 2.2 (2.2 #/kg) then divide again by 25.39 (25.39 mm/in) or just divide by 2.2 * 25.39 = 55.858 as a quick conversion. For example, a 1200 #/in spring equates to a 21.48 kg/mm spring.

Archived