Blowing Main 30amp Fuse Continously

Ranger77

• Member Contributer

Ok. I was pulling codes cuase again my bike started running like crap. I changed my fuel filter, seemed to idle better. Nope, didnt fix the problem. Get home and I see one long blink. I know its a long blink now cuase I unplugged the MAP sensor and it blinked a lot faster. So one long blink equals ten short blinks. That is the BARO sensor.

Ok. The only eletrical things I touched were the BARO, MAP, and TP sensors and ECU. All are connected and tight. Thats all I touched. I noticed the left eletrical wire holder thingy on the airbox was rubbing the tank. Ok, that could be grounded it out. Mashed it down and put Gorrilla tape where it was rubbing. Replaced fuse, turned bike on and fuel pump primed about half way and fuse blows. There's 6 fuses right there.

Any ideas? I've never had a fuse blow continously like this.

'01 VFR

cali model

PCIII (on for 2 weeks now)

330ohm resistors.

no clue on what specifically could cause this, but you need to get a meter and start ohming out things going back from the fuse. must be a short (stating the obvious), and to keep blowing it, it is not intermittant (easier to find). i would definitely check the wire you 'fixed' just to make sure nothing is broken there. start with the obvious....broken wire, start switch, starter relay, etc.

try disconnecting the various sensors....actually, disconnect them all, then turn it on(don't start it). If the fuse doesn't blow, plug them back in and cycle the ignition until one of them blows the fuse. I am betting one of them is shorted inside, unless you find a wire that is.

It could also be the ignition switch that is shorted as well.

For sure use the ohm meter to check for wires going direct to ground where they shouldn't. by all means DON'T put a bigger fuse in....the fuse is protecting things now. You might want to get a circuit breaker to save fuse costs in the meantime.

Maybe your harness is Gey! :goofy:

Otherwise goos advice here so far! :wheel:

Are you suggesting he install my harness? Doubt that would fix anything, but i would never suggest someone NOT install it (be silly business practice of course).

Maybe your harness is Gey! :goofy:

Otherwise goos advice here so far! :goofy:

Are you suggesting he install my harness? Doubt that would fix anything, but i would never suggest someone NOT install it (be silly business practice of course).

Sales aren't that slow are they? :wheel:

no, sales have actually been a bit fast...I haven't shipped the current orders yet(waiting for a seal to get here today <_< ).

But this is WAY off topic. I don't remember where Rangerscott lives...any chance it is close to DFW?

• Member Contributer
I figured it out and I'm not gonna tell cause it points out my DEE DEE DEE.

Bastid. Tell us!!!! I admit to my dumbassity. :blink: On second thought,...........

Archived