Grip Puppies Anyone?

Jon28

Question

My friends have installed Grip Puppies on their Sport tourers and love them. I think they are a foam material. You wet them then install over your oem grips....makes the grips much bigger for those of us with gorilla arms :thumbsup: Anyways just thought I would mention it.....I'm ordering a pair soon.

17 answers to this question

I put the Grip Puppies on about two months ago and they are holding up well. A cheap and easy alternative to new grips. Installation was a breeze, had to trim the right side down a bit as it was catching the throttlemeister, otherwise they slip right on. I am happy with them so far, they increase the grip diameter for those with larger hands and provide some welcome cushioning.

Could someone please post of picture of these?

I am thinking of installing these over my Hot grips for some padding, as the hot grips are hard as heck.

Also, what size do I need if I have Helibars?

• Member Contributer

Anybody installed the "Grip Puppies" over heated grips? I currently have the Grip Puppies installed but I do not have heated grips.

I was wondering if the heated grips would melt the Grip Puppies.

I just installed a set of HotGrips. They are much larger than OEM. I too have big hands and the stock grips were way too small. And as far as heated grips go they get so hot you can't touch them without your gloves on!

Reviving an older thread ...

Just got my grip puppies in the mail. I have std grip (no heaters, no throttlemeister). The foam is 5 1/32" long and they are nicely chamfered at both ends.

Q: Should I trim the foam before installing? If so, how much should I trim off. I'd like to keep the rounded edges and avoid trimming if possible.

• Member Contributer
Reviving an older thread ...

Just got my grip puppies in the mail. I have std grip (no heaters, no throttlemeister). The foam is 5 1/32" long and they are nicely chamfered at both ends.

Q: Should I trim the foam before installing? If so, how much should I trim off. I'd like to keep the rounded edges and avoid trimming if possible.

I trimmed a set I had and they starting tearing after a while. With the second set, I rolled them back over themselves about an inch at the bar ends and that has worked out nicely. It even provides a bit more padding for the pads on the outside of my palms.

OK, I did the soapy water install and it worked fine.

I left the grip puppies uncut so they extend maybe 3/8" past the end of the hard rubber grip and taper on to the bar-end weights. That actually had a surprise benefit. The foam touching the right bar end actually provides a little drag on the throttle spring so I don't have to use so much wrist to keep the throttle open.

RIDE REVIEW

Did 100 or so miles with the Puppies and I can say it was a MONSTER improvement. I use to get cramps and tingly fingers within 15-20 miles. Also, before the Puppies, on the Freeway, I was begging for a throttle lock after 1/2 hour. The Puppies-equipped grips seemed a little thick at first (with HELD gloves), but I got used to it right away (within 5 miles). Right hand didn't have to close as much so it was MUCH more comfortable and I didn't really get any cramping. The small-diameter of the stock grip IS a source of cramping.

On downhills where I'm alternating between throttle and front brake, the grip puppies made a huge difference. Without the foam I feel a lot of weight/pressure on my hands during a steep downhill. I still feel like the hands and being loaded, but it is FAR more comfortable now.

Bottom line I did 100 miles with one fuel stop and no cramps and no bad tingly fingers. The grip puppies worked suprisingly well with thin gloves, and I didn't have to take my right hand off the bar to stretch is out and shake it ever 10 miles.

Negative? With the slight down-angle of the VFR standard bars, it looks like the grip puppies are tending to slide off a bit during a long ride. I had to scootch them back in place a bit at the end of the ride. I may have to look into some non-permanent adhesive.

OK, I did the soapy water install and it worked fine.

I left the grip puppies uncut so they extend maybe 3/8" past the end of the hard rubber grip and taper on to the bar-end weights. That actually had a surprise benefit. The foam touching the right bar end actually provides a little drag on the throttle spring so I don't have to use so much wrist to keep the throttle open.

RIDE REVIEW

Did 100 or so miles with the Puppies and I can say it was a MONSTER improvement. I use to get cramps and tingly fingers within 15-20 miles. Also, before the Puppies, on the Freeway, I was begging for a throttle lock after 1/2 hour. The Puppies-equipped grips seemed a little thick at first (with HELD gloves), but I got used to it right away (within 5 miles). Right hand didn't have to close as much so it was MUCH more comfortable and I didn't really get any cramping. The small-diameter of the stock grip IS a source of cramping.

On downhills where I'm alternating between throttle and front brake, the grip puppies made a huge difference. Without the foam I feel a lot of weight/pressure on my hands during a steep downhill. I still feel like the hands and being loaded, but it is FAR more comfortable now.

Bottom line I did 100 miles with one fuel stop and no cramps and no bad tingly fingers. The grip puppies worked suprisingly well with thin gloves, and I didn't have to take my right hand off the bar to stretch is out and shake it ever 10 miles.

Negative? With the slight down-angle of the VFR standard bars, it looks like the grip puppies are tending to slide off a bit during a long ride. I had to scootch them back in place a bit at the end of the ride. I may have to look into some non-permanent adhesive.

Use safety wire around them. I do it with all my bikes. Tie the wire around the grip in two spots. About 1 inch from the ends of the grips. :biggrin:

Yo800.... I found that using soap to install Grip Puppies would let them slide after install.... Where as using Rubbing alcohol makes a good lube for rubber and won't leave the grip slippery..... Never thought of it myself... Instructions to use alcohol to remove/install bar-end weights.... Came with my Heli-Bars..... And it worked well for my Grips.... FYI

These sound great. Just ordered a pair. For $9.20 even if I don't like them it will be no big deal. That is nearly the cost of a beer in a lot of places around here. Free shipping on the Grip Puppies too.

Archived