5th Gen Frankenviffer

redmarque

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member Contributer
LH side with the brake! Yea I had a Triumph Tiger Cub and a Vincent Comet like that but things have moved on since then.

My mistake! it's supposed to be the right side! from what i've done so far - Do you think you could make these Tok? :biggrin:

Redmarque,

Very cool project. Good luck! Looking forward to seeing it on the road.

Quick question, where did you source the silicone radiator hoses? The 3rd gen hoses have been discontinued by Honda and I've been looking for a substitute. Currently I have something cobbled together with 4th gen hoses. But silicone hoses maybe a good solution.

TIA,

Roger

• Member Contributer
Quick question, where did you source the silicone radiator hoses? The 3rd gen hoses have been discontinued by Honda and I've been looking for a substitute. Currently I have something cobbled together with 4th gen hoses. But silicone hoses maybe a good solution.

Thanks for the encouragement!

The hoses i've used are all made from straight sections and 90 degree beds from Ebay.

1" from thermostat to rad, 7/8 for the pump to cylinder heads and 1/2 for smaller bore stuff all joined with aluminium joiners and stainless hose clips.

If you need to get a straight pipe to go around a curve. I fabricated a hose cover from sheet ali - i'll find a pic tonight to explain better.

hope this helps! :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Projects hossackviffer's going a bit slow recently (5 weekends in a row with my kids)

Meanwhile the both rearsets are in CAD.

newpegs.jpg

I've mocked up the design in 10mm MDF board.

The 10 holes will be threaded for 6mm grub screws to allow the swingarm bolt to be recessed. Brake cylinder mount will be 6mm thick Ali.

I've sourced rear Yamaha R1 footpegs which will need to have a slot cut though the middle for the return spring.

Lever pivots will be bushed with bearing bronze to prevent wear.

pegtemplate.jpg

Guest MtnRider

I soooo want different rearsets for mine. Care to make an extra set :musik20:

Your work has been awesome to follow, thanks for the report.

• Member Contributer
Care to make an extra set :musik20:

Yep totally agree 5th Gen pegs are grim! :fing02:

Hopefully I will offer a group buy if anyone's interested after the first prototype set is made - i'll need to measure up on the 5th Gen rear master brake cylinder as this ones a CBR600RR one - also the banjos on the 5th Gen rear brake are hardlined to the Combined Braking System, so positioning maybe an issue.

Cheers Dude! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I'm lovin the progress mate.

I bet she thought she was going outside for a run.

You might have already said, but what color will we see that frame in? Or am I being too nosey now? lol

• Member Contributer

Frame and swingarm are going to be satin black - undecided on paint or powder coat? tank,bodywork and wheels in gloss black (always did like vintage bike look)

Was thinking of sandblasting and lacquering the engine once it's been for a test run, should make a nice contrast.

I've been labouring on the loom for some weeks now too :goofy: , it's been completely stripped and shortened. Standard connectors are being replaced with waterproof ones like ducati use. :musik20:

Guest Rabbid
I'm lovin the progress mate.

I bet she thought she was going outside for a run.

You might have already said, but what color will we see that frame in? Or am I being too nosey now? lol

Wow just saw this AMAZING. Just bought a 5th gen engine the other day and was getting ready to start my own project but Hell if you maybe planning on selling frames I'll wait and just do the build up on my engine so it's ready for your frame.

I want one!!

• Member Contributer
Wow just saw this AMAZING. Just bought a 5th gen engine the other day and was getting ready to start my own project but Hell if you maybe planning on selling frames I'll wait and just do the build up on my engine so it's ready for your frame.

I want one!!

Thanks for the complement! :pissed:

Unfortunately I’m planning on a 1000cc V-twin version if this front-end is successful. Possibly in aluminum too. If you're still mad and would like to build your own PM me and we can discuss offline :fing02:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer
Finished yet??

:laugh:

To be honest progress on the hossackviffer has been very slow! :goofy:

Life gets in the way of a good project!

hossackvfr8s.jpg

I've had to cut and move the rear suspension mounting 25 mm left and re-weld!

Remake the frame - engine spacers

Move and weld on coil mounts

The steering scissor linkage has also been remade to allow for full suspension movement

Notched out the tubes in the forks to allow for greater turn on the steering lock

re-designed the rising rate front suspension linkage using a rear suspension dog-bone.

Replace front shock spring

and much more!

BTW I've put the rearsets on hold until everything else is working!

Hopefully I've got the time to get her running soon, as I've been made redundant last week! sad.gif

Sorry to hear of your job loss sad.gif

Going by the evidence presented, you certainly could be self employed as a custom builder, although under the current climate there may not be enough paying customers to make that viable.

BTW a giant spider appears to be mating with your V4? smile.gif

It looks fantastic. Chin up, make the income priority 1, but keep at it on this, it's good for you :laugh:

• Member Contributer
Sorry to hear of your job loss sad.gif

Going by the evidence presented, you certainly could be self employed as a custom builder, although under the current climate there may not be enough paying customers to make that viable.

BTW a giant spider appears to be mating with your V4? smile.gif

It looks fantastic. Chin up, make the income priority 1, but keep at it on this, it's good for you :goofy:

Thanks Phantom!

I'm not really worried about work yet as i've already got some part-time contract IT work lined up! :laugh:

i've sand blasted the frame after recent mods them primed in black to stop it rusting. (also was fed-up at looking at browning steel!) I didn't think the financal outlay of powercoating was worth it yet. Tabs to hold the battery carrier, brake lines and bodywork mounts are still to be added. Once it passes the UK Single Vehicle Assessment and has a title the extras can be done.

• Member Contributer

Yeah bummer bout work, but good you have something else in store.

I love the black look, even if it's primer, gotta look after that precious metal work {bloody rust}

Little bit at a time Red... like Phantom says: Looks fantastic

Guest johnandhis93

I am so impressed with what you are doing, cant wait until its finished and your running aroiund on it, good luck on the job front so you can keep going.

• Member Contributer

Red,

As an IT manager working for an investment bank, I know how you feel, as being made redundant is the damokles sword that hangs over all of us in this economy.

Glad you've got something else lined up. Yeah, I'm a selfish bestige - I crave more progress on your build :fing02: :biggrin: :fing02:

It also amases me how you manage to find the time to do all this having the family and all. It takes me 3 month just to change my oil and fill tires with air...

Best of luck and keep'em updates comin!

• Member Contributer
Red,

As an IT manager working for an investment bank, I know how you feel, as being made redundant is the damokles sword that hangs over all of us in this economy.

Glad you've got something else lined up. Yeah, I'm a selfish bestige - I crave more progress on your build :blush: :biggrin: :fing02:

It also amases me how you manage to find the time to do all this having the family and all. It takes me 3 month just to change my oil and fill tires with air...

Best of luck and keep'em updates comin!

I was an IT Manager of a small investment bank too - they joined it with 3 other businesses, hence redundancy :fing02:

Ah! and I used to be a family man until the ex-wife did the dirty. Now I have my kids 9 and 4 year old every other weekend. So more garage time evenings and weekends.

Here's a close-up of the "bridge" (It reminds me of one) frontend.

Note the new scissor linkage

newlinkage.jpg

Big thanks to all VFRD for the encouragement! :wheel:

Not sure what size tubing you used for the vertical part of the front end, but it looks like my idea might apply for you.

I found that the black plastic plug that goes in the top of the steering stem on the stock bike would fit as frame plugs on my VF750F frame. Might also plug the holes in your girder?

• Member Contributer
Not sure what size tubing you used for the vertical part of the front end, but it looks like my idea might apply for you.

I found that the black plastic plug that goes in the top of the steering stem on the stock bike would fit as frame plugs on my VF750F frame. Might also plug the holes in your girder?

Hi Seb, that's a good idea - I thought I might turn up some black pvc on my 50's lathe to make frame plugs.

Off to look at your Vf750f post for other ideas now! :blush:

Thanks for the Firth Of Forth close-up :blush:

Amazing engineering - Paul Crowe at The Kneeslider loves this sort of stuff (he ran an item on Toro's blown 5th Gen), can I send a link to him? Or do you want to wait until you're a bit closer to finished.