Hondaline Luggage & Aftermarket Pipes

Guest uberruby

Guest uberruby

So, I ordered myself up a set of Hondaline luggage for my 2004 VFR from David Silver Spares, which arrived a couple of days ago. It didn't even occur to me to consider that they may not fit with the aftermarket pipes I'm running on my bike (Scorpion Titanium's), but twenty minutes into the install, it is quite clear that these two products are completely incompatible.

Has anyone successfully run Hondaline bags with any aftermarket pipes?

Does anyone have any suggestions for better luggage options for use with aftermarket pipes?

Looks like I might have a brand new set of silver Hondaline luggage for sale...

Thanks,

Alex

Does anyone have any suggestions for better luggage options for use with aftermarket pipes?

Leo Vince pipes work. :thumbsup:

But if you want to keep your Scorpions, you might look at Givi bags. The mounting brackets are a different shape, so there's a chance they would work. I'm sure others here can post pictures of what they've got.

• Member Contributer

But if you want to keep your Scorpions, you might look at Givi bags. The mounting brackets are a different shape, so there's a chance they would work. I'm sure others here can post pictures of what they've got.

I had alot of trouble making the brackets for the bags fit over my Remus pipes. I finally did it as described below:

1. Remove the pipes to get them out of the way

2. Mount the brackets for the bags (Excluding the piece in the center that connects the left & right)

3. PULL. (I officially call this method of modifying the brackets as the BFH method) You can bend the brackets enough to make clearance for the pipes. You can check the clearance as you go by trying to insert the pipes as you go.

4. Make a new bracket to hold the left and right side together. Mine was about 1 inch longer than the piece that came with the bags.

I'll try and post finished pictures of mine this evening.

I know the stash works with Givi's Wingrack, Dale(theoxmole) runs that setup.

I just combined factory luggage with Staintunes. Plenty of clearance.

I had a set of stainless Scorpions that I bought from a member here, but as you now know,they don't work with the bags(the cans are huge, and that's part of why they sound so good!).

Remus fits, as do Leo Vince, and BOS, Two Brother's VALE system should work. Microns are too big(about the same can size as Scorpion).

Safest thing to do is gut your stockers and use the exhaust $$ for the factory bag setup...

• Member Contributer

I had the Two Bros Stash system on my 02 VFR. I also have the OEM luggage setup. I found that the way the right muffler is mounted, with a strap, that the muffler moved around enough to rub against the bracket, but only in a small area, and wore away the aluminum of the muffler. The Two Bros Stash was too loud for me so I removed them and went back to the OEM mufflers. They left side fake muffler never rubbed on the brackets, probably not as much vibration as the right side.

What about the 2Bros stash kit, will it work?

Yes & No, see my post:

well i can't find it... <_<

But what i had to do was push the pipes in as much as possible and then use the outer holes on the "in-between" bracket, then only use the forward holes on the top mounts and fill the aft holes with dummy bolts.

not ideal, but works/looks somewhat well.

gallery_7890_3005_1433403.jpg

DSCN3272.JPG

Well, I sure wish I'd inquired with you guys before spending $$$ on my shiny new (but fairly useless) bags!

Thanks for all the input. I guess I need to decide whether or not to keep the bags and get some stock pipes again, or scrap the idea of using the Hondaline bags...

You'll get more use out of the bags than the exhaust, trust me. Sell the Scorpions to someone here and pick up a set that'll work for you. I'm sure you could sell them with partial trade on stock pipes to hold you over, in case you don't have yours anymore. You could gut the stockers too, they might sell faster that way when you're ready for new aftermarket pipes.

:thumbsup:

I installed the OEM bags over the Remus exhaust. Magellan and I (who am I kidding, Magellan did it all :thumbsup:) had to fashion a new connecting bracket. I did have to move the pipes all the way in; so much so that I had to trim my license plate (attached to a fender eliminator) back quite a bit. The bag racks rubbed on the pipes a little but I got past that by putting a couple of small squares that I cut from a silicone hot pad between the pipes and the rack.

I'm sure you can make it all work together and have the best of both. It's just gonna take a little MacGyvering to get to it.

Good luck,

-T

Looks like I've got a line on some stock pipes from an 02. Does anyone know if the exhaust from 2002 to 2007 is the same part or if there was a change along the way?

• Member Contributer
Looks like I've got a line on some stock pipes from an 02. Does anyone know if the exhaust from 2002 to 2007 is the same part or if there was a change along the way?

I do believe all 6 gens are the same exhaust. The 07s boot/exhaust guard on the pipe to the muffers is satin finish instead of polished.

Fender Eliminator Question: I would like to keep it and simply tie the two racks together at the rear of the bike with a homemade bracket. Has anyone done this? Photos?

Thanks!

Warren

I installed the OEM bags over the Remus exhaust. Magellan and I (who am I kidding, Magellan did it all :thumbsup:) had to fashion a new connecting bracket. I did have to move the pipes all the way in; so much so that I had to trim my license plate (attached to a fender eliminator) back quite a bit. The bag racks rubbed on the pipes a little but I got past that by putting a couple of small squares that I cut from a silicone hot pad between the pipes and the rack.

I'm sure you can make it all work together and have the best of both. It's just gonna take a little MacGyvering to get to it.

Good luck,

-T

• 8 months later...

Finally the information I've been searching for! Just ordered the Stash pipes from 2 Brothers and the bags are siiting in my office patiently awaiting the arrival of the pipes. Thanks for the pics and info guys!

• Member Contributer
Fender Eliminator Question: I would like to keep it and simply tie the two racks together at the rear of the bike with a homemade bracket. Has anyone done this? Photos?

Thanks!

Warren

Warren,

I cut the factory bracket when I mounted mine this Jan. Have no long term results but I can't see why it won't be just fine...

Look back in this forum for Topic "OEM Hardbags & Fender eliminator" I posted back in January... with pics.

By the way I have Staintunes and there is no problem with the factory bags/brackets...

• 2 months later...

I put Laser exhaust on my VFR and Remus on my best friends. The bag mounts went around the Lasers fairly easily. I'm still working on his Remus. So far I cross threaded all the grab bar bolts, broke one off, broke off an easy out, and the machine shop can't get it out either. Glad its not my bike lol. All the crossthreading happened before I knew to only try to get 2 bolts in anyway, which I had before I went and screwed it all up. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I do believe all 6 gens are the same exhaust. The 07s boot/exhaust guard on the pipe to the muffers is satin finish instead of polished.

:biggrin: I've gutted 02-07's,,,, all the same.

So, I ordered myself up a set of Hondaline luggage for my 2004 VFR from David Silver Spares, which arrived a couple of days ago. It didn't even occur to me to consider that they may not fit with the aftermarket pipes I'm running on my bike (Scorpion Titanium's), but twenty minutes into the install, it is quite clear that these two products are completely incompatible.

Thanks,

Alex

How much did they cost from David Silver Spares?

Thanks, Marco.

How much did they cost from David Silver Spares?

Thanks, Marco.

It depends on the color. Right now, the cheap ones at David Silver Spares are £225. This is about $450 dollars. Shipping is also usually quite reasonable too, only about $200 or so from the UK I think.

I believe the total for my bags when I order from David Silver Spares a few years ago was about $450 for the hard bags, $450 for the top-box, $130 for the saddlebag and top-box liners, and $200 for shipping.

• 2 weeks later...

I had alot of trouble making the brackets for the bags fit over my Remus pipes. I finally did it as described below:

1. Remove the pipes to get them out of the way

2. Mount the brackets for the bags (Excluding the piece in the center that connects the left & right)

3. PULL. (I officially call this method of modifying the brackets as the BFH method) You can bend the brackets enough to make clearance for the pipes. You can check the clearance as you go by trying to insert the pipes as you go.

4. Make a new bracket to hold the left and right side together. Mine was about 1 inch longer than the piece that came with the bags.

I'll try and post finished pictures of mine this evening.

anyone with remus exhaust who made the custom bracket in step 4 want to share your design?

save us a little time figuring it out on our own

i'm 50-50 on honda vs givi plx35 with a set of remus exhaust

wondering what i'm getting myself into

• 1 year later...

Thanks,

Alex

• Member Contributer

Thanks,

Alex

Arrow exhausts and Hondaline luggage fit OK - its tight, but they do fit.

Archived