Asshat Mechanic Needs Help....

KanadianKen

I have a Digital Multimeter, and need to know what settings to put it on - to test a battery in my van. I bought the tester to have for use on the bike, but luckily never have had to use it.

The van is having a hard time starting - I mean turnign the motor over - and I feel that the 4 year old battery is toast.

Help!

5144934466_0598391.jpg

THanks in advance :thumbsup:

DC volts, 25 volt range, good battery with motor off will read >13 to 14 volts.

Motor on, good charging system will read > 13 to 14 volts.

Any less and its bad.

• Member Contributer

For voltage check, current check or resistance?

Voltage = V

Current = A

Resistance = Ω

Note: For current check the meter has to be in series (IE Positive to battery positive and Negative to DISCONNECTED battery positive cable)

For Voltage you can just put the leads to the terminals without any problems.

For a battery check it's best if you disconnect the cables so the Van isn't "loading" it down and then just put your leads to the corresponding terminals and check the voltage. As for trouble shooting...I won't pretend I am a mechanic and lead you wrong. I'll let others chime in here.

Good luck.

• Member Contributer

Put it where it says "V" on the closest setting that is greater than 24. I believe that would be 100V or 200V depending on the model. To find out whether your battery is really dead, charge it fully and measure the voltage drop while cranking the engine. It the voltage drops below ...(10 I believe - someone correct me if I'm wrong) and if the voltage does not come back up to 12.5 or so quickly, than the bat is toast.

To make your life even easier, just go out and buy yourself a good AC Delco battery.

Typically, batteries are not designed to function 100% beyound 4 years any way.

• Member Contributer
THanks-

battery - solo - no motor - 12.9 volts.

battery - motor on - 13.8 volts.

so - likely its the battery?

That sounds normal. Check it under a load, turn the headlights on, the A/C on, etc and see where it's at with the engine running. Your alternator could be dying and not recharging the battery enough. Let it go long enough and you may kill the battery as well. Under full load with all the stuff on it should read high 13's low 14's for voltage while running, if it dips down in the low 13's or even in the 12's then the alternator is probably going out or if your alternator has an external regulator (don't know how old your van is) then the voltage regulator might be going bad. If the battery is still sitting at 12.9 and holding it sounds like it might be ok, how low does it drop when you crank the motor over? If it drops significantly then the battery could be going.

Also could be the starter taking dump, when they die they can draw tons of power and that will cause some issues as well. If the alternator and the battery check out after troubleshooting start lookin at the starter.

Usually your local parts store (read big chain stores) will have a tester behind the counter and will run a battery test for you.

THanks to all for the advice - mucho appreciate it!!

I might run north to North Bay Cycle - and see if they will test this battery for me.... then I can buy a new one from them as well...... :salesman:

Off to get this batt tested.

• Member Contributer
THanks to all for the advice - mucho appreciate it!!

I might run north to North Bay Cycle - and see if they will test this battery for me.... then I can buy a new one from them as well...... :salesman:

Off to get this batt tested.

Make sure to ware your VFRD shirt :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Hey this is a bike forum buster :unsure: Now if it was your Honda VAN with a vtech engine then maybe but a POS chrysler????The blasphamy :goofy:

SOme closure.......

No - it wasn't my Odyssey that gave me grief, but the aging Dodge Caravan. ANd the battery was POOCHED. It was tested completely by a trusted shop - and it was toast.

New battery is installed and van started right up this am.

Thanks again to all who offered help!!

I appreciate it.

:thumbsup:

Archived