How To Repair Rearsets?

Guest Jay_eS_Iye

Guest Jay_eS_Iye

Right now I have a broken left front rearset where the footpeg is attached and I'm wondering if this is fixable by any means? Its a weird alloy metal so I didn't know if its weldable and I'm looking for the cheapest way to get this done (since the eBay ones are atleast 40 bucks).

Right now I have a broken left front rearset where the footpeg is attached and I'm wondering if this is fixable by any means? Its a weird alloy metal so I didn't know if its weldable and I'm looking for the cheapest way to get this done (since the eBay ones are atleast 40 bucks).

Don't be such a cheapskate, replace it. You wouldn't want that thing re-breaking on you as you round that next corner leaning hard just inches away from the barrier that separates you from that 1000 foot cliff drop! :blink:

It's too much of an important part of your bike that can affect control and handling. Also try to look for it in Cycle salvage/breaker yards if you want to save any money. I wouldn't even try repairing it. :joystick:

Beck

95 VFR

• 8 months later...

super glue and baking soda. I'm not serious but works good on plastic.

Drill holes into it, and then weave coat hanger wire through it. Kind of like "sewing" it back together, but using very stiff wire instead of thread. Be clever with how you orient the drilled holes, to accommodate the wire and how you will be bending it.

Drill holes into it, and then weave coat hanger wire through it. Kind of like "sewing" it back together, but using very stiff wire instead of thread. Be clever with how you orient the drilled holes, to accommodate the wire and how you will be bending it.

You're joking, right?? :beer:

Jay, post a picture of it. I may be able to weld it for you.

You're joking, right?? :unsure:

Jay, post a picture of it. I may be able to weld it for you.

Maybe it's really "Andrew" Ward from the old, big VFR site. Some of you might remember him. :beer:

He was a "fun" guy, Andrew was! :unsure:

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

emo-anim_lol.gif

Its a weird alloy metal so I didn't know if its weldable

Depends on whether you can find someone who can weld pot metal :unsure:

I have aluminum filler rod here for welding cast crap...

• Member Contributer

Well the best fix is to, of course, buy a new or an undamaged used one.

I think the next best step would be to remove the old one and drill a hole through that area and bolt on an older style footpeg mount like from an zx6 or zx9. The photo shows they are slightly different in length. You can find them pretty cheap ($10) on me-pay sometimes.

comparo.jpg

Here's a shot of those bolted through the exhaust mount on my old superhawk to give me lower pegs. The stock pegs have been removed in this photo. That's where you would drill the appropriate sized hole. Make sense? Also, you would need to verify if there is enough clearance behind the hanger for the bolt head.

zx12left.jpg

I also made spacers for proper fitment and to clean up the looks.

rightsidemounted.jpg

I broke one on my ZX-6. It was aftermarked so I had it re-welded, but didn't trust it. I sold them being completely honest about them and sending the buyer pictures. I actually marketed them as just the one side in case someone broke the opposite side that I had broke. He decided to use them anyways and it re-broke (I think he was riding on the street, not track).

If it is questionable at all, DON'T USE IT. Buy another one. You getting hurt is not worth the cost of a new one.

Archived