My Free Rear Dymag Wheel

FotoMoto

• Member Contributer

OK, it just looks like one. :goofy: I've always loved the look of the single nut rear wheels but the costs were just too high. Even the cool Thurn motorsports cover isn't cheap. By sheer coincidence, I happen to be looking at the bent triple I had removed from my 4gen while thinking about ordering the cover. BINGO! I can't believe it fit the center hole of my 6gen rear wheel. Got out the cutting wheel and got busy.

IMG_6248.jpg

I used some of the nuts and washers from the steering head bearings. There are two sets of threads with different OD's. My thumb is in between them in the above photo. I threaded the two larger nuts and a washer on to the larger threads which will be on the backside of the wheel.

IMG_6251.jpg

Next, I cut some black plastic as a template for the cover. Now that I see it will work, I'll get a machine shop to copy and make one out of aluminum. There went the free part. I then threaded the chrome nut we typically see on the top of the steering neck onto the smaller threads locking down the cover. the plastic cover doesn't sit flush along the outside edge due to the pressure from the nut. A metal cover wouldn't be affected like this.

IMG_6243.jpg

IMG_6246.jpg

To complete the look, I'll need to drill the nut/threads for a cotter pin. Don't look at the unmounted brake reservoir sad.gif , that's next on the list of things to finish.

Guest vfrrider

A little more thread showing and a cotter key to assure no loss nuts on the freeway. I hate when that happens.

I like it. :thumbsup:

Larry

VFRrider

Can I steal your idea now?

• Member Contributer
A little more thread showing and a cotter key to assure no loss nuts on the freeway. I hate when that happens.

Can I steal your idea now?

Yeah, there is plenty of threading on it to extend it further out. I'm thinking 3 or 4 threads for a more realistic look.

Please feel free to steal, copy, and/or modify this! But if you make improvements or come up with something better/different, you must post it.

• Member Contributer
and a cotter key to assure no loss nuts on the freeway. I hate when that happens.

I like it. :thumbsup:

:goofy: on the cotter pin

cotter.jpg

+1.gif on the I like it

Guest vfrrider

Fotomoto,

Length? Special features required?

Send me a drawing and I'll have it made, if we don't have any friends wiuth a lathe! :salesman:

Larry

VFRrider

And I JUST happen to have a spare steering stem in the garage.

• Member Contributer
Fotomoto,

Length? Special features required?

Send me a drawing and I'll have it made, if we don't have any friends wiuth a lathe! :salesman:

The length is relatively unimportant since the hub is hollow but as you can tell from the pics it's not that long. The "axle" could have a better fit inside the wheel hub. Currently, I have the lock nuts/washer assembly wrapped in electrical tape to make it an interference fit within the wheel hub hole. Not high tech but it works. Now the specs for the cover are more important if that is what you are referring to about length, i.e., circumference. I'll have to measure it more accurately if you need figures for a lathe. Hmm, group buy anyone?

• Member Contributer
For some reason it made me think about using an oldschool Campagnolo bicycle headset.

Now that looks suh-weeeet but most things high-end bicycling are high $$$. Are these? Probably so. I'm trying to keep this cheeeeeep.

• Member Contributer
For some reason it made me think about using an oldschool Campagnolo bicycle headset.

Now that looks suh-weeeet but most things high-end bicycling are high $$$. Are these? Probably so. I'm trying to keep this cheeeeeep.

Cheap for me cause I've got one stashed away. wink.gif That one is a 96-97 vintage and was in the $70-$80 range new. Checking the orphaned parts bin at a bike shop might turn up something cheap.