Just Installed Dunlop D220

Alien VFR

• Member Contributer

I got the D220 (rear) installed yesterday and hit some twisties. The tire seems to instill more confidence than the original equipment Dunlop that came with the bike. So far I have no complaints and I only have 1/8" of chicken strips after just one day. So far I'm pleased. Anyone else have opinions on this tire?

• Member Contributer

I ran one about 4 years ago. I thought it had very good traction for an ST tire but it wore quickly and once it hit the wear bars it went to cords extemely quick. I only got about 1k more miles out of it than a regular sport tire.

I'm on my second set of 220's. The rear from my first set was well worn with less than 6k miles. The front held up very well with only slight cupping. I liked them enough to go back.

I had a set on my F4i, they stuck good for an s/t tire I thought. Didn't wear them out, they have about 3000miles on them and look half used, I went to Diablos for the TexasMac ride.

• Member Contributer

Well, I just managed to get some miles on it in the rain. Felt solid. So after about 120 dry and wet miles, I like like it.

Thanks for your replies.

• Member Contributer

Same as other comments for durability, I find they melt too quickly.

Also, I had noticed that they do not give any warning when they are about to slip. With these tires, you have grip or no grip. (Other tires give you hints as they slide a bit with no desastrous consequences, just a good hint)

I switched to BT020 then to Avons Azarros then to Avon Storms... like em better. smile.gif

• Forum CEO

I wont ride dunnies, but my buddy Craig swore by them, ran about 5 sets of them 220's. That is until he discovered better traction AND milages with Pilot Roads. Now he wont use Dunlops anymore? I have heard good things about the Qualifier but I think once you find a tire your good with - stay with it.

• Member Contributer

Well, I do not think I ride hard but this is what happened after 6,500 miles with my rear tire.

2007_04_23_tire_009.jpg

The OEM rear D204 lasted 8,000 miles. I was expecting a little longer life out of the 220.

• Member Contributer

I've had 204's, 207's, 208's, and 220's. The 04/07's cupped HORRIBLY at 2500 +/- miles. The 208's were down to the wear bars in less than 3000 and the front cupped so bad they felt like knobbies on my garage floor. I have about 500 miles on my third set of 220's. The first two sets went 5600/5700 miles before the wear bars turned into slicks and with zero cupping. As mentioned above, once the wear bars hit the pavement, the cords aren't far behind. I bitched to Dunlop about the performance of the 08's and they gave me the 3rd set of 220's for FREE!

I have run through something (fluids - sand - or ??? and all in tight sweepers) with the 220's on three occasions where either the front or rear broke lose. I let off the throttle franticly with the front (dumb) but kept throttle postion with the rear twice and in all three instances, the tires hooked back up and I went on my merry way.

I've got 8000 miles on my Conti Road Attacks and they still have tread left to go another 1000 possibly. They stick like glue in the corners too. I will be getting another set after this. I'm not even going to bother trying anything else.

• Member Contributer
I've got 8000 miles on my Conti Road Attacks and they still have tread left to go another 1000 possibly. They stick like glue in the corners too. I will be getting another set after this. I'm not even going to bother trying anything else.

On my R6 I had 207's, then 208's and neither set lasted more than 5000. I switched to the Conti Road Attacks and totally agree with Blackballed. I have yet to break traction (with no chicken strips on them B)) and no cupping on the front tire any more. They have about 4000 miles on them and still plenty of life. I will be putting these on my VFR when the Diablos finish their run. :thumbsup:

I have a D220 on the back of my Fifth gen now, paired to a 208GP front tire that came off my old track bike. The tire was on the rear of the Thunderace when I got it's wrecked carcus from the junk yard... and it still had all it's nubs.

I've probably got about 3500 miles on them, maybe less. They've performed admirably in the wet, and not bad in the dry... this last trip to Birmingham, AL was a little more upright than I normally ride, it promply squared off and went quickly down to the wear bars in the center... so it probably won't make another 300 mile day.

Don't worry Bailey... I've got some Pilot Powers for it for T-mac... that is, if I'm able to fix the forks before then... the right seal self destructed last weekend and soaked everything in oil before I could do anything about it.

Archived