Got The Roads!

Guest gunracer

Guest gunracer

Had quite a day today:

Passed my MC operator's test (100% thankyouverymuch)

Shipped out 200 copies of my new book ( my 2nd book on competition handgun technique thankyouverymuch)

Got Pilot Roads installed ($400 thankyousirmayIhaveanother)

Initial impression vs. the stock Duncrap Sportturds that cupped in the front and wore to the steel in the back after squaring off like a 2x4:

Much smoother

Slightly better turn in

Much happier leaned over...the bike before would lean fine but was happier upright. Now it turns in a hair better and is happy to stay there. I actually have to turn in later now to maintain my line as the bike wants to turn sooner. (does that make sense?)

I was on the fence for the powers vs the roads but since I get paid by the mile for 75% of my slabbing, I decided to go for the roads.

I only rode them home so far and will report on the twisty bits as they come. So far I'm pleased.

To be fair to the stockers, they went 7000 miles for 2 owners so that's not horrendous...is it?

Anybody else put 5500 miles on a viff in 30 days? smile.gif

SA

btw, are there any self tire changers in central ohio that like beer and company? smile.gif

• Member Contributer
Just about any tyre is better than the stockers!

Are they Pilot Roads or Pilot Road 2CT - the dual compound?

Regular roads, we don't have Road 2CT here yet, we are supposed to get them late this year.

• Member Contributer

Check the how to guide for how to change your own tires, it is easy and only takes a few minutes to change and balance both with about $200 in tools. If you don't want to do that, call around to more shops for prices for tires+mounting and price for just mounting your own tires. $400 for a set of Roads is mighty steep.

• Member Contributer

Sounds like you had a great day.......typical Dunlop "problems".........enjoy the Michelins................ :thumbsup: :beer:

I hate to be a kill joy here & I really don't understand how you US guys haven't got the new Road 2CT yet considering that they have been available in Australia for a few months already.

I have just replaced my PR1's with a set of 2CT's 2 weeks ago & have done some 700km's on them. They are so much better for turn in & give so much more traction & feel. As to their longevity I can't say.

Sorry for making you feel envious but when they do become available over there you won't be disappointed ... I promise.

Dave

I've got a Pilot Road on the back of my VTR and hate it. But then again the bike is still set up for 30lb lighter rider and the front tire is worn out too!

7,000 miles in 11 days with two days of no riding in the 11!

Guest matt_c

NOTE TO SELF,,,,,,,,never get into a gun fight with gunracr. :D

O.k. now that thats taken care of.......congratulations on your super successful day. Dont ya just love it when everything seems to go just right! :D

For my style/type of riding(fast and pushing it) I hated the Roads. Never been on a more Veg tire at speed in my life, but many people love them and never get near the loads I put on tires.

I would consider trying the new road 2ct when it comes out though as they have changed everything about if and in the right directions it sounds like. So if they ever show, I'll try a set. :thumbsup:

I liked the Diablo Strada much better. :rolleyes:

So if they ever show, I'll try a set. :thumbsup:

I'd be interested in reading your report on the new Roads.

I've got the same feeling about the current ones.

.... and they lack grip ..... don't get me started.

Shannon had a set on her VFR and hated them in the wet on her trip a few weeks back, PP are going on in a few days to replace them. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Shannon had a set on her VFR and hated them in the wet on her trip a few weeks back, PP are going on in a few days to replace them. :thumbsup:

Even as a "daily" and "tour" rider, the Pilot Powers were miles above the Roads on my VFR.....I always actually liked the Roads(why paint/ ice cream comes in colors/ flavors), but after the Powers, they will never be a future consideration......next set, try the Powers.....you may be amazed, even if you don't ride aggressively fast............. :thumbsup:

gunracer:

Congrats on passing the riding test. Glad to hear you finally got to take the test.

Congrats on the 2nd book. Wow, I know an author!

Congrats on the new skins, tho you're right - $400 is a beating. Gotta be at least one VFRD member in Central OH who could help you out.

I opted for Conti Road Attacks, have only mounted the front so far (will get rear tire done next week) and am very happy with it so far. Much quicker turn-in and smoother than my old stock Bridgestone, tho I'm sure a lot of that was due to the tire being very worn.

If the Conti rear is as nice as the front, as I believe it will be, and as long as they wear well, I'll probably buy them again, tho for the next set I may get Diablo Stradas b/c of my curiosity and b/c so many of you guys recommend them so highly.

Even as a "daily" and "tour" rider, the Pilot Powers were miles above the Roads on my VFR.....I always actually liked the Roads(why paint/ ice cream comes in colors/ flavors), but after the Powers, they will never be a future consideration......next set, try the Powers.....you may be amazed, even if you don't ride aggressively fast............. :thumbsup:

:rolleyes:

How many miles did you put on those Powers before selling the bike, any idea of wear at your Pace?

• Member Contributer

:offtopic:

How many miles did you put on those Powers before selling the bike, any idea of wear at your Pace?

Almost 2900.....I really think they would have gone 6000......the Honda shop still has "my" VFR, I've ridden it twice since trading.....rode it about 90 miles a few Saturdays ago with a friend that bought a Blue/ Silver 07 CBR600RR (I rode it about 40...great bike, lots better than my 04 CBR600RR). I had about 3/16"of unused tire on the right side, the mountain had wiped off all the left side. My stock Bridgestones had about 1/4"-1/2" strips.....was finding myself going faster more comfortably on the Powers....less turn-in/ quicker steering/ better "feel".....definite confidence boosters over the BridgeSUCKstones. Ironically, Bridgestone seems to build about the best large scooter tire out there...go figure. This thread is now returned to it's regularly scheduled programming........................... :thumbsup: :beer:

Archived